Tail Light Staying On

Anything electric, AC or DC

Tail Light Staying On

Postby starpathimages » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:37 am

Greetings Fellow Campers! I am wondering if anyone here can give me some advice on a tail light/wiring issue I'm having in a 2013 LG 5'Wide. It seems there are some gremlins in the wiring and one of the tail lights still glows slightly even when the tow vehicle is turned off. I was thinking the other tail light must be burned out, but today when I tested the car's emergency flashers, it still lights up, but not when I hit the brake or turn signal. There seems to be a couple burned out LED's in this tail light though, as you can see a blackened area in the light. Is this a 7 pin issue, ground fault, short...or did some bloke wire it wrong when I had my 7 pin plug replaced?

I had tried taking the tail light out, but its so tight in the housing that I didn't think I could get it out without scratching the paint. When I look under the tailer, there is no visible opening to reach into the tail light area as its sealed up with a cloth/paper material that I have no idea how to replace if ripped. If I could get access to the tail light, without having to repair additional things, it would make this so much easier! :x
starpathimages
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tail Light Staying On

Postby Dale M. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:15 am

starpathimages wrote:Greetings Fellow Campers! I am wondering if anyone here can give me some advice on a tail light/wiring issue I'm having in a 2013 LG 5'Wide. It seems there are some gremlins in the wiring and one of the tail lights still glows slightly even when the tow vehicle is turned off. I was thinking the other tail light must be burned out, but today when I tested the car's emergency flashers, it still lights up, but not when I hit the brake or turn signal. There seems to be a couple burned out LED's in this tail light though, as you can see a blackened area in the light. Is this a 7 pin issue, ground fault, short...or did some bloke wire it wrong when I had my 7 pin plug replaced?

I had tried taking the tail light out, but its so tight in the housing that I didn't think I could get it out without scratching the paint. When I look under the tailer, there is no visible opening to reach into the tail light area as its sealed up with a cloth/paper material that I have no idea how to replace if ripped. If I could get access to the tail light, without having to repair additional things, it would make this so much easier! :x

Possibly a problem in 7 pin connector (I had a random problem there that occurred and then went away all by its self)... Your description of tail light and stop/turn confuses me... Generally stop/turn is one element (bright) and the dimmer element as tail light (yes element can refer to LEDS).... First thing I would do is try and test trailer wiring with separate power to validate situation is in trailer wiring.... Kind of sounds like you may have funky converter in TV at this point...

A couple of burned out LEDS does not always LED assembly is bad, it could possibly just be individual component failure but functionality may be still good (or not)....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobwhite215 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:54 pm

I don't have a ton of experience with trailer lights, but the few problems I have had usually come back to a ground issue. Something that's supposed to be grounded isn't, or something that's not is.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby firemansd19 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 pm

I have had this problem with a cargo trailer my FD ownes. It seems to be wired for a Ford. When I hook it to my Chevy, the trailer brakes lock up and my truck lights and trailer lights have a faint glow. We haven't traced the issue down yet, but think it has something to do with the brake battery on the trailer tongue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:30 pm

I have had this a couple of times and each time it is the 7 prong plug, water getting inside. Mine is a take apart plug and despite using using dielectric grease last time I found a good bit of corrosion. It is now in a plastic bag and I used more grease.
I have found that there is inconsistency in wiring as to which wire ends up where.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby starpathimages » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I have had this a couple of times and each time it is the 7 prong plug, water getting inside. Mine is a take apart plug and despite using using dielectric grease last time I found a good bit of corrosion. It is now in a plastic bag and I used more grease.
I have found that there is inconsistency in wiring as to which wire ends up where.

I didn't think about this, but I'll certainly check for corrosion. I did have a problem with sand getting into a 7 pin once and it wouldn't work until I blew it out with an airhose.

I checked the grounding point just behind the tongue and it seems solid. It seems getting into the wiring near the tail lights is really designed to be a 'dealer issue' instead of a DIY fix.

I'm kind of amazed that in 2017 connectors can still be so bad.
starpathimages
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 am

firemansd19 wrote:I have had this problem with a cargo trailer my FD ownes. It seems to be wired for a Ford. When I hook it to my Chevy, the trailer brakes lock up and my truck lights and trailer lights have a faint glow. We haven't traced the issue down yet, but think it has something to do with the brake battery on the trailer tongue.

IF the Ford and Chevy both have factory plugs, I find that hard to believe.... IF "some one" home brewed the wiring on TV, I can believe it....

There is a scheme to things, and there is a standard as to what position on connector does what function...

Colors don't mean a whole lot (its only for humans connecting/troubleshooting) its all about position/function on connectors...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby firemansd19 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Dale M. wrote:
firemansd19 wrote:I have had this problem with a cargo trailer my FD ownes. It seems to be wired for a Ford. When I hook it to my Chevy, the trailer brakes lock up and my truck lights and trailer lights have a faint glow. We haven't traced the issue down yet, but think it has something to do with the brake battery on the trailer tongue.

IF the Ford and Chevy both have factory plugs, I find that hard to believe.... IF "some one" home brewed the wiring on TV, I can believe it....

There is a scheme to things, and there is a standard as to what position on connector does what function...

Colors don't mean a whole lot (its only for humans connecting/troubleshooting) its all about position/function on connectors...

Dale
well the home brewing is very possible. But thanks for the input.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:43 pm

I have seen a number of wiring diagrams, However I have a seven prong tester and have found errors. And more importantly if it is correct it tells you the trailer is not. About $10 to know.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby starpathimages » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I have seen a number of wiring diagrams, However I have a seven prong tester and have found errors. And more importantly if it is correct it tells you the trailer is not. About $10 to know.

Oh that's really nice! It couldn't get any more simple. I'll certainly check that out! :applause:
starpathimages
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets