My eye sight , imagination, or medication wore off.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

My eye sight , imagination, or medication wore off.

Postby Hog Wild » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:25 pm

I was looking at some pics on the net, and some of the windows used in some Tiny Trailers looked like they came from a house :? . Could this be? :shocked:
Saw Dust and Wood Chips are as Close to Potpurri as I get...
Hog Wild
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My eye sight , imagination, or medication wore off.

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 am

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TAFCO-WINDOW ... /202033269

16" square, $35? Like half most of this sold to rv/trailer market? Albeit, not tempered glass, but not sure how big of concern that is in a trailer.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:17 am

The price makes this tempting. Two things to consider though: 1) There is no mounting/nailing flange so attaching it to the trailer will be tricky. 2) The window unit is considerably thicker than wall thickness of a teardrop trailer, travel trailer and/or cargo trailer.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:14 pm

The specs list the thickness as 3.125"... That would be a difficult / impractical mount. Most windows designed for home use will have the same problem. They also will not normally use safety glass. You could look for cheap storm windows... the type that affix to the exterior face of the window framing. Those will also not be safety glass most often.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:40 am

When I started building my TTT, I was trying to build with parts sourced locally, just-in-time for use. That meant buying at Home Depot or Lowe's on my way to my "away from home" trailer construction site. Of course, I looked at windows from HD, but none had safety glass, and none opened awning-style, or jalousie type that I always liked on trailers of the past. (I did buy one, on a spur of the moment impulse, off of e-bay before I was actually building, just planning, for $14. When I changed the plans later, it didn't fit in, so I didn't buy any more parts before I was sure what would work! I intended to actually see the part in person before I bought, after that, if I had any doubt.) Anyway, although I found many sources for "shed" windows with safety glass online, and even "mobile home" windows with safety glass locally, I couldn't get the awning style (though they have some now, after my build). So, I ended up buying two 15x18 awning style windows from a member of the forum, at Lil' Bear. Buying and installing the windows was the last thing I did on the initial construction, after agonizing and indecision for over 18 months. Except for some tweaks and adjustments afterwards, windows were my final build point, finishing that week. P.S. I had found those windows on the Lil 'Bear website over two years earlier, on initial planning before I researched other types, and bookmarked them as my first choice. That became true. Install post: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55776
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bamaeagle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:04 pm

We just ordered ours from here www.shedwindows.com They say they use "safety glass" in them. We got the ones on sale for $21.95. Waiting on the to be delivered. :D
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!

Bamaeagle
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion