Is there a standard wiring pin-out for a 7 pin connector?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Re:

Postby m.colley » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:27 am

Dale M. wrote:Forget the colors..... Yep, it is all by function, I generally make up the color codes as I find them on trailer when trouble shooting.. What I always love is when idiot who is doing wiring changes wire color for a function in middle of wire run... Sort of blow your mind to start out with a blue wire on one end and it comes out red on other end...

Dale

I also have to wonder what possesses the factory to use them damn scotch lock connectors/splices. I understand the ease of use but how hard would it be to make up a pigtail splice or use a Y butt joint connector. I'm also amazed at the way the actually run their wiring. It wouldn't take more than 2 extra minutes to run the wire correctly.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Re: Re:

Postby Dale M. » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:28 am

m.colley wrote:
Dale M. wrote:Forget the colors..... Yep, it is all by function, I generally make up the color codes as I find them on trailer when trouble shooting.. What I always love is when idiot who is doing wiring changes wire color for a function in middle of wire run... Sort of blow your mind to start out with a blue wire on one end and it comes out red on other end...

Dale

I also have to wonder what possesses the factory to use them damn scotch lock connectors/splices. I understand the ease of use but how hard would it be to make up a pigtail splice or use a Y butt joint connector. I'm also amazed at the way the actually run their wiring. It wouldn't take more than 2 extra minutes to run the wire correctly.

Martin

These things....

They are one of the most poorest design connectors made... Hate them more than "Scotchlocs"... Take up space and with out center insulated takes more effort to tape then up and they get more bulkier and more obnoxious....

Scotch locks do actually work if you get correct size, full them with dielectric grease before assembling and use zip tie to secure branch wire to main...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Is there a standard wiring pin-out for a 7 pin connector

Postby swoody126 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:30 am

i have found 2 types of 7-pin connectors

one has flat blades and the other has round pins

the flat blade style is most commonly used on vehicles w/ factory towing packages specifically on Jeeps & pick ups

i have SEVERAL trailers that came from the factories w/ 7-pin plugs that utilize the flat blades and they all fit & functioned properly

SO there must be a kind of camaraderie amongst trailer manyfacturers that is manifested in their wiring procedures

whether they build utility trailers, farm trailers, boat trailers or travel trailers ALL SAME...

when i goto TSC and buy the plugs/parts needed to repair my trailers i find that each package has a wiring diagram in it showing the purpose of each of the terminals and in most(not all) cases the terminals are marked in some logical manner

that being said, my Jeep Cherokee & my F-350 came with factory towing packages and the terminals in the 7-pin flat blade plugs work the same with all my trailers

i can even do my annual light check on the family 5th wheel travel trailer using the Jeep as the source of electrons :thumbsup:

using the 7-pin connector and having the ability to charge the trailer coach battery while running down the road makes good sense

while you're at it consider using weatherproof solderless connectors everywhere they could be exposed

they are a bit more expensive and involve one more step(heating them) going in butt IMHO will save you over the long haul

i know they work since my big boat trailer was wired with them(6 years ago) and it gets a regular dunking(completely submerged) in salt water w/o unplugging from the TV

what i have shared is from personal experience not something i have heard, what "they say" or something i have seen in an internet catalogue

just my 2¢ worth this morning

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:22 am

Flat blade 7 pin connectors are know as "RV style" connectors (generally on 'pickups and travel and utility trailers'), the Round 7 pin are "Truck" connectors generally found on big rigs (18 wheelers and such)...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby El_Ducko » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:55 pm

When using a 7 pin connector with the 12v power used for the trailer battery, what prevents overcharging the trailer battery?
El_Ducko
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swoody126 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:13 pm

El_Ducko wrote:When using a 7 pin connector with the 12v power used for the trailer battery, what prevents overcharging the trailer battery?

the TV's regulator
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby dancam » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:02 pm

I ended up with a 7 pin connector in addition to a 6 pin round to get all the wires i wanted run to my trailer. Then i found out they make 9 pin round connectors....

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets