The Escape Pod

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

The Escape Pod

Postby usarmychap » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:06 pm

I have intrigued for some time with the Roswell drawings. The suggestion that stitch and glue building technique could be use to construct it has caused me many...many hours dreaming of building one. However, the style lent to many challenges that I am just not ready to take on. Yet, I still want to build a teardrop with this type of construction technique. Out of that desire the Escape Pod was born. I hope to get started on this project in late March, but wanted to share what I have so far. Take a look and let me know what you think. If anyone is interested, I could submit some of my future drawings.
Attachments
TheEscapePod.skp
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 422 times
usarmychap
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Escape Pod

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Might want to try another format, such as jpeg for this file to be viewed. Or, better yet, just upload it to the forum. :thumbsup:
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pohukai » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Nicely done!
escapepod.png
escapepod.png (173.51 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
pohukai
Teardrop Master

Postby Alan_H » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:51 pm

I like the design, and it should lend itself very well to stitch and glue construction. Have you checked out the CLC Teardrop?
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby usarmychap » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:53 pm

Yes, I have spent a great deal of time looking at CLC's stitch and glue camper.

While CLC did not give me the idea for this project, it has inspired it greatly. In fact, I designed this idea a couple years ago, but never did anything with it. Browsing the internet a few months back I came across the CLC prototype. COOL! I inquired about purchasing one, but several reservations came to me. Not to take away from what CLC is doing, theirs is a awesome product. First, it just wasn't as traditional in appearance as I wanted. While it's utility is virtually the same, it just doesn't have the look I am wanting. Which was the same problem I ran into with the Roswell. Second, I still wanted to go through the design process myself. My goal is to create a nice website where the construction and plans for The Escape Pod could be shared freely.

My hope is to use CLC as a supplier for some of the product used my own version of a teardrop camper.
usarmychap
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rivernstream » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Great design. This is closer to what I'm considering. I'll be following this for sure. Will you do it on a CNC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rivernstream
Gold Donating Member

Return to Sketch up designs