5x8 CT conversion

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

5x8 CT conversion

Postby MGHarm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Hello from the Texas Panhandle everyone, I just bought a 5x8 cargo trailer, plan on making into a 3 person camper. Nice, comfy, and modern. Will double as a base camp for hunting season. Any suggestions are welcome, my entire build should weigh less than 2k lbs and will be pulled by my 2dr Jeep Wrangler.
Last edited by MGHarm on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MGHarm
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 5x8 CT conversion

Postby MGHarm » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:50 pm

Thought I'd give a lil' update. Removed all the interior walls, caulked and sealed all the interior, did some spray foam insulation in hard to insulate areas, painted the underside and caulked where metal and wood meet. Also installed my 30$ Amazon porthole window, removed all the manufacturer stickers/decals, and installed the door latch open eye bolt(so no one locks me in).
Last edited by MGHarm on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MGHarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MGHarm » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:00 pm

Did some work on the trailer today, built my generator/propane tank rack and attached it to the trailer. Then primed it, on to paint tomorrow.
Also, built my brackets for the side mount battery box(on the paper on the floor)
MGHarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Looks good, but a bit puzzled about the eye bolt, and less than expensive padlock. Where is it located? Keep us posted.
Roly, So Cal TD guy
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby MGHarm » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:Looks good, but a bit puzzled about the eye bolt, and less than expensive padlock. Where is it located? Keep us posted.
Roly, So Cal TD guy

Thanks, and the eye bolt is my way of locking the back door latch OPEN so that I don't have to worry about any of my friends locking me inside.
MGHarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MGHarm » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:57 pm

Got a lot done over the last few days. Window, fan, insulation, battery box mounted, installed a couple exterior lights, and sealed up everything. Also, got the generator rack painted.
MGHarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bc toys » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:24 am

welcome to the group liking your set up enjoy the trails
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MGHarm » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks for the welcome. :beer:
I've been working a lot of hours this week and haven't got a chance to do much on the trailer. Ran the wiring in the walls and installed the flooring. Next is re-install the wood wall panels... Kinda dreading that. Also starting to think I should have posted this build to the Cargo Trailer Conversions part of the forum. Maybe site admin could help me out there?
MGHarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MGHarm » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Well I haven't had a lot of time to work on much over the last couple of weeks but I did get a few smaller things done.
I built the folding bunk and installed it(bolted it to the frame).
Built my own water jug/jerry can mount.
And finished up the AC power system, just need to put some conduit for the wire coming out of the top of the breaker box, and I also got the fuse panel all finished up with a battery shutoff switch.
MGHarm
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves