Would this even work?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Would this even work?

Postby Kaydeej » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:08 pm

First of all, at nearing 70 and the only experience I have building anything is putting together Ikea stuff, so not gifted with talent, ability or tools, I want a tiny camper. My knees are shot so being taller is better, also my TV can only tow 1000 #. On social security, my budget for acquiring is, uh, shall we say as slim as an anorexic model? Would this idea work? I see where one can buy a kit of metal joining pieces to connect 2x4's so that the cuts would be straight and the build square. I think I can do that. A 6x8 shed on a Northern 5x8 trailer, no potty or real kitchen, going very minimal here. If I buy the lumber to make a frame, then build a modified foamie and skin it with thin plywood inside and out, I have judged that it will work weight wise and stain well (look good). Also the style I like is the barn style, so I could orient it so that facing the back of the car, the roof would go up so the wind would sweep up and over (ie assume aerodynamic purposes). I could hire someone to cut the lumber to a modified plan, I don't want a real tall camper, I can slump while walking in it. Plenty of room for me, the dog, my walker, and the coleman stove and ice chest.
So what do you think? I have no family left so unless I can convince the VA that this is part of my treatment, I only have me to do this. The dog's main hobby is sleeping so he can't help, except to look mini dachshund cute. Lol And doing it this way, I can do a little each month as affordable. And if the old ticker does give out first, I can be buried in it. Hey maybe you CAN take it with you.
Opinions on the build, not the insanity of the whole idea.
Sorry this is so long.
Kay
Kaydeej
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Would this even work?

Postby KennethW » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Have you checked cragslist? Sometimes one can find a bare bones teardrop on the list for around $2k.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 73445.html
ttps://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/r ... 86942.html

If you are not at all handy it may be the way to go. Unless you can talk a Fellow vet to go into it with you. Hate to have you end up with a half done teardrop.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm not sure that a 5' X 8' shed on a trailer would be roadworthy and safe, nor would it be light. A square box built of 2X4s and plywood isn't going to be the lightest thing going. I'd look at weight first!

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby yrock87 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:02 pm

a shed type build that is 5ftwide, 6ft tall and 8 ft long would be quite heavy and extremely un-aerodynamic. I doubt that a car with a 1000lb tow rating could pull it safely. you have quite a few, if not mutually exclusive, then at least mutually challenging problems to address. I am assuming your car is a small car. the wind resistance is a very real concern, so a tall roof is going to be a problem. tears are usually 4ft tall for a lot of reasons, but the fact that they slip in behind a car well is part of the reason for the design. a shed type build would be dooalbe with a pickup, but it will be too heavy and too tall for a small car.

not having any tools, building experience, or building help will limit you. I'm not saying you cant build a great tear. For many on this site, myself included, our trailers are the most complicated thing we have ever built. but adding those things up together, makes it more difficult for a self build to be feasible.

based on what it sounds like you want, 5-6 ft tall, light enough to tow behind your car, and relatively easy build, I would recommend that you look into a bare bones used tear, or a small micro utility trailer that you can add some windows and a cot.

either way, I would ask yourself what you really want as far as a trailer. tears are not made for standing up in. standies or stoopies are quite a bit more involved to build because they don't translate from a single sheet of plywood. If you will be happy with a sit-into-bed teardrop, you can build a basic benroy or weekender for cheap and pretty easily. if you are sure you want 6Ft of headroom, I suggest looking at the tiny cargo trailer route.

I don't want to discourage you. just want to set some expectations. nobody whats you to pour time and money into something that you cant move. or spend the same on something that you are not comfortable using.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby Kaydeej » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Yes I can see what you are all saying. I'm a military brat, vet and ex spouse and I miss the travel, wanting to see what is just up the road. I've spent the last six years living in a state I don't really like, needing to be near my dying only child (cancer). Now I want to get out and live for both of us. I don't need much, and in truth I have been concerned about the height. Yeah, I for sure could go shorter, more like 5 feet. The plans I am looking at can certainty be cut down, angled for air flow. With any luck and a whole lot of not so patient trying, I hope that I have a link attached to a page of the instructions that give an idea of my plan
OK that's not good. Heck. Amazon: www.amazon.com:hopkins-90190-2x4basics-shed
Kaydeej
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kaydeej » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Kaydeej
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Kaydeej wrote:Grumbling grumble
http://Www.Amazon.com/hopkins-90190-2x4basics-shed

That kit includes only the plans and hardware. You provide the wood and have to cut it to size. It's based on 2X4s and OSB plywood. Neither of which is going to get you under 1,000 lbs.

Another consideration is weatherproofing the doors and windows. Remember that dragging a trailer down the road at 60 MPH in a 40 MPH gale adds up to more than hurricane-force winds. Are the weather seals on those doors and windows going to remain waterproof under those conditions? You sometimes cannot choose your towing conditions, and I have found myself towing my teardrop through torrential rain storms.

I recommend that you look for a used teardrop that is known to be weather tight and under your weight limitations. This approach is not going to get there.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby pchast » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Kaydeej,

First..... Welcome. :D

May I ask why so tall? A TD is traditionally basically for sleeping and,
perhaps, an outside kitchen. If you use the many types of flashlights
and have a bed inside that you can get onto the structure itself is very
simple. If you stick to simple these have been built under 700 lbs.

Have you seen one? Can you get to one of the gatherings? Is someone
close to your location that you can visit?

A little time testing one out could be in your best interests.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Will this be for just you - one person? And do you want to sleep in it in cold weather? I'd think a 4' trailer and single ply walls might be simpler and less expensive. Just a thought.

I wonder if any local vo-ed programs would be willing to help. You buy materials, seems like a great shop class project. Heck, they could build a chassis from scratch.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 pm

The OP did state he has knee problems. I interpret that to mean he does not want to aggravate them by kneeling at all. Hence the height.

I also think that construction with 2x4 will make too heavy a trailer and am doubtful of the durability of the hardware connections after a few years of use.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kaydeej » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:30 am

Well the OP is a she and yeah bad knees. But must be realistic about this, so will keep pondering. Thanks to all for your thoughts and ideas. I am planning on making a cardboard mock up, as a tiny is smaller than the RV I lived in before, but that's ok. I have loved reading all the great posts and blogs.
Kay
Kaydeej
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:44 am

Kay:A normal teardrop is not hard on the knees. You will never be on your knees.
To get in a teardrop. You sit in the door, lean back,swing your legs in, and lie down.
You make the bed by standing outside the door.
A teardrop is better then a short stand-up on the knees.
A simple low cost 4 foot wide teardrop would have 1/2 plywood floor with 1/2 plywood walls with furring strips(1x2,s) between the walls. then lie and glue luan plywood on top of the walls held in place with ratch straps until the glue drys and you get screws in. The curved roof is a lot easier then it looks. That would be the starting box that you would cut the doors in. and the hatch off the back. Plus a lot more details to finish the doors and hatch.
I am talking very basic teardrop. Not build to last a long time but I would guess the lowest cost you could build.
With your skills I would still say look on cragslist first for a low cost enclosed trailer or a teardrop.
Where may you be. Someone on the group may give you a hand. I would have fun building a very simple teardrop.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby yrock87 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:48 pm

KennethW wrote:Kay:A normal teardrop is not hard on the knees. You will never be on your knees.
To get in a teardrop. You sit in the door, lean back,swing your legs in, and lie down.
You make the bed by standing outside the door.
A teardrop is better then a short stand-up on the knees.
A simple low cost 4 foot wide teardrop would have 1/2 plywood floor with 1/2 plywood walls with furring strips(1x2,s) between the walls. then lie and glue luan plywood on top of the walls held in place with ratch straps until the glue drys and you get screws in. The curved roof is a lot easier then it looks. That would be the starting box that you would cut the doors in. and the hatch off the back. Plus a lot more details to finish the doors and hatch.
I am talking very basic teardrop. Not build to last a long time but I would guess the lowest cost you could build.
With your skills I would still say look on cragslist first for a low cost enclosed trailer or a teardrop.
Where may you be. Someone on the group may give you a hand. I would have fun building a very simple teardrop.

seconded. I don't think you would find a teardrop uncomfortable because you don't crawl around inside of one. think of it as a bed on wheels. you get into your tear the same way you get into bed. you sit down and pivot.

a basic 4x8 benroy is about as easy as it gets. a basic shell from OSB and luan painted with exterior paint and with manufactured doors would be a pretty quick exercise and is about as affordable as it gets.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Modification

Postby Kaydeej » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:17 pm

I have been reconsidering all the information that I have received, still working it around the brain box. I still like the Gambrel roof as it strikes me as aerodynamic and roomy. So, a 5x8 trailer as I am not so petite. Orienting the trailer to the car, front edge of trailer faces car with the roof sweep beginning in front, up over trailer then down in back. The roof on short walls, inside height at center roof maybe 46-48". Framed with 2x3 or 4, filled with blue foam, then skinned with 1/4" Luna. Should be lightweight. The CSR to make waterproof, not sure of roof yet. The door is on pass side with a storage box for battery and wiring on 'neck' of trailer. So what thoughts? I could build/hire handyman to help me as needed and as money can be spent.
Thanks for the feedback, or learn so much as I read through other postings.
Kay
Kaydeej
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Kay,

You will find few use a 2X when you check the builds.
They are heavy. A trailer structure is more like an airplane
then a house.
:D
I personally used 3/4 stock in the width of my foam, but
in very few areas. Others used less then I.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs