Hello from Michigan

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Michigan

Postby HandsOnHenry » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Hello everyone!
First post to introduce my family to what seems to be a wonderful community of like minded campers.
I will start by saying Thank-You to all of the members that have shared their experiences within this forum. During the summer of 2013 my wife and I had been bit by the "Tiny Camper Bug" and so the research began. It was also during that time that my wife and I were trying to conceive, so I knew that if everything went as planned we wouldn't have a lot of time to take on a project like building our own teardrop. We began by looking at brand new models made by who I eventually found out to be a reputable and popular manufacturer, the only problem was..."Holy Cow! These little buggers are pricey!" Long story short I ended up at this forum lurking around compiling my own dreams of grander within the teardrop world. The build threads and experiences shared here were an invaluable source of confidence inspiring knowledge, and after lots of research I came to determine that we would someday have a teardrop of our own, even if it did take forever to build.
Fast forward to the 2014 camping season: We did our average 4 camping trips that summer, with our tent of course, and after every trip that summer I had to come home and set the tent back up in my garage to dry. The worst example was the 4th and final trip for the year, a one night trip, the tent was our shelter after a beautiful day canoeing with family. The weather was perfect, no rain at all, the dew however was so heavy that it might as well have rained all night. On top of the extremely heavy dew we had also sprung another leak in our air mattress, I hate waking up in a hot dog bun so as soon as we got home I of course threw the air mattress directly in the garbage can. I set up the tent to dry wondering if there was a chance that it could be my last time having to do that chore. By this time we had learned there was a baby on the way and with camping season over we settled in for the third trimester.
November 2014, healthy baby girl! Wow! First time parents.....Wow! After the constant flow of friends and family coming to visit slowed down we were getting a little cabin fever. It was a cold winter that year and we hadn't spent much time out of the house as a new family. We heard an ad on the radio for an indoor RV show that was taking place about 30 miles from home; best part was admission was covered with a nonperishable food item. Hoping for just a day out we went with no expectations of small campers, all the fanciest stuff was there, houses on wheels, toy haulers, you name it. Enjoyable none the less we continued to push the stroller to every corner of that building, and then we saw it. This was a camper that fell within the size and weight of what we were looking for without some of the options that we had deemed unnecessary for our use. I instantly started thinking back to the information I had been studying within this forum, and by the time I had rough numbers for materials used and labor time needed (plus the fact that there were special "show deals" for the weekend) we decided that this little camper was our answer to getting back at it for the 2015 season. We are very happy with our trailer, we've used it several times so far but haven't covered many miles yet. We are glad to be a part of this community and look forward to the experiences ahead.

-Ben, Mandy, and Lilly
Attachments
20150215_145121.jpeg
20150215_145121.jpeg (64.44 KiB) Viewed 630 times
HandsOnHenry
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Michigan

Postby kayakdlk » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Welcome and glad your family found a trailer you like.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Welcome to the madness from just south of the Mi border. I will suggest you join Tearjerkers (under TD friendly websites) and come to some of the gatherings.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Welcome! Its great that you found what you wanted....
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:25 am

Welcome to the Forum Ben, Mandy, and Lilly, :applause:
Congrats on the new trailer and we hope you enjoy camping in a "Hard Side"; You can crawl inside to get out of the rain and you won't have to set it up to dry when you get back home... :thumbsup:
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby G-Mac » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:39 am

Nice trailer. Welcome and congrats!
Gary