Is trim required between regular diamond plate and .04 alum?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Is trim required between regular diamond plate and .04 alum?

Postby PoddyWagon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:42 pm

I'm at the stage where I've discovered my first mistake....my profile including bottom rest requiring coverage is 49.5 inches high, which means I need 5 foot wide aluminum if I don't want an overlap and a seam. So I've decided to use diamond plate as a rock guard all long the sides and front bottom. I've read the threads over and over; some suggest using z holding to make the transition, but I'd have to order it. Others suggest glueing the checker plate over top of the .04, which would make me worry about leaks....wouldn't it make more sense to overlap the checker plate with the aluminum sheeting or is it ugly? I've been looking a close ups of pictures on this forum; wondering if anyone can suggest what they've seen/done that turns out waterproof and isn't an ugly transition? Thanks in advance for your advice/replies...

KJ
PoddyWagon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Is trim required between regular diamond plate and .04 a

Postby Nobody » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:43 pm

I faced the same dilemna when building my TD in 2006. My sidewalls are 53 1/2 tall including the shroud around the floor framing so my 4' wide 0.040" aluminum sheets did not quite reach. I bought a sheet of 0.063" diamond tread aluminum to use as trim on the sides, & as a rock guard on the front. I overlapped the 0.040" siding a couple of inches on the sides & on the front & drove #6 stainless screws every 2" on the front & every 2 1/2" on the sides (botttom of the side trim was screwed every 6"). Before driving the screws I put 3 beads of PL 1200 adhesive on the 0.040" aluminum siding, & around the perimeter of the trim pieces & the rock guard. I drilled a pilot hole for the screws & after setting the screws in place I removed them, squirted some PL adhesive in the holes & re-seated the screws. 10 years & close to 30K miles & there've been no leaks that I'm aware of... I think using a good sealer between the diamond tread (smooth side) & the 0.040" siding should give you a good seal. My rock guard (& the side trim pieces) go up & over the bottom of the aluminum siding & the seal is still good.,

Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greygoos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:24 pm

Run a strip of aluminum flashing along the bottom of the wall first.Put the siding over that and then put you diamond plate on. Any water running between the siding and diamond plate will hit the flashing.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby PoddyWagon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks guys, Good information and reassurance here...
Grey goose good idea on the flashing, I will be looking for it first thing in the morning.

KJ
PoddyWagon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 am

Yes, good idea on the flashing. I'd bought some 0.020" 'valley flashing' to 'edge' my doors but never thought to use it under the 0.040" siding before adding the diamond plate trim :( . Fortunately the adhesive beads have worked well on my build but if I were doing it again I'd add the flashing. A 20' roll of valley flashing, 12" wide is just a few bucks at our local Home Depot, & I'd expect it's available at most 'big box' home stores...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques