Questions for experienced campers and foamy builders....

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Questions for experienced campers and foamy builders....

Postby CLChastain » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:04 am

Does anyone know if something like this exists commercially? A "portable" camper, not a trailer, not a truck camper, but lightweight panels of some space-age material that snap together on site? Kind of like a hard-sided tent? Maybe panels would fit in the bed of a pickup truck or inside a van (or on top)?

I was thinking along the lines of the fiberglass-paneled ODome from the 1970s. They were not portable. They were vacation homes, meant to stay where they were erected. A member of another forum (not trailers/camping) found one falling down and was fascinated by it, wanted to purchase it. He later checked it out and found it is completely fixable. Said it is held together by 147 lag screws. Wouldn't want to spend your whole camping weekend ... screwing and unscrewing.... but if another quick, portable way to fasten the panels could be found....

And the camper wouldn't have to be a dome, though that would be cute. Flat panels would be easier to transport. And if most were already attached to each other and folded (like the dog pens you see at some campsites) even better. If that was the case, they would have to be very lightweight.

Hard to find info about the ODome the on the Internet. Would be cool if somebody put them back into production with the materials available today, to meet today's codes, or drew up plans for amateur builders.

If permanent vacation cabins, they would need insulation and A/C, at least in Florida. Else you'd roast in them. But they're still cute, and a worthy inspiration for some kind of portable version.

The question is, would such a structure be allowed in campgrounds? Thinking probably it would have to be used in the tent camping areas.

I'm thinking something like this made of styrofoam panels skinned inside and out with fiberglass or painted canvas might be light weight enough. An eight by ten foot interior, slightly larger than a Shasta Compact, would surely be sufficient for camping, and not too heavy/cumbersome to transport and set up. it would have the same problems with wind that a tent does, and how well it is secured to the ground would be very important. Also, flooring... styrofoam would not do for fhe floor....

Wonder what kind of roof....door....windows... Any suggestions?

BTW, the point of this exercise is coming up with alternatives to towing a trailer and a boat from the same vehicle, or using two vehicles. If the boat isn't coming on the trip, the travel trailer could be used.

CLChastain
Teardrop Builder

Re: Questions for experienced campers and foamy builders....

Postby deoc4114 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:02 am

Sounds like the shelters/campers Teal International was trying to manufacture.

The panels weren't quite flat, but they were rigid and easy to handle. Once assembled, it held together with a large ratchet strap.

Last I looked, after trying production in fits and starts, the business is up for sale.

http://www.tealinternational.com
deoc4114
Teardrop Inspector

Postby daveesl77 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:51 am

Hexayurt

http://hexayurt.com/

Uses duct tape/shipping tape, iso panels.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:22 am

knot hard sided, butt

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=car ... &sp=-1&sk=

maybe some ideas in the pics

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Assuming you want a semi permament structure, a Yurt might be good way to go. For example, http://coloradoyurt.com/yurts/history/ Several companies manufacture them. 3-5 people to assemble. I image 2 could do it .The companies estimate a day or two after the footing/floor is in place. Not exactly a weekend camping experience. However, the structures are robust and all weather. Somewhere in the $6,000 to $12,000 range. Comparable to pre-fab cabins.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby CLChastain » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:55 am

This is what I want to avoid:

CLChastain
Teardrop Builder

Postby CLChastain » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:15 am

troubleScottie wrote:Assuming you want a semi permament structure....

I don't want a permanent or semi permanent structure. I want some kind of hard-walled structure made of panels you can take apart, or that fold up. Something along the lines of a portable dog kennel, but with solid walls, and human sized.

I don't think such a thing exists, so I might have to go into "invention" mode.... I'm thinking foam panels might figure in there somehow...
CLChastain
Teardrop Builder

Postby dakippen » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:25 am

Attachments
camper.jpg
camper.jpg (84.25 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67862

Doing at almost 60 what I should have done at 20....
dakippen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rmclarke » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Have you seen these (from the UK): http://bit.ly/2lzSfmT

Lots of clever folding ideas here.
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby CLChastain » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Some interesting ideas there. Wondering how to get around the trailers.....
CLChastain
Teardrop Builder

Postby booyah » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:10 am

CLChastain wrote:This is what I want to avoid:

Have someone else drive the chase vehicle with the boat?

Thats my current solution :-D
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby JuneBug » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:32 pm

Teal Tailfeather is a wonderful concept, but can't quite get going. As noted upthread, the business is still for sale.
tealinternational.com/TailFeather/
All the information on each model is still available under the "Campers" tab. There are also some videos; the guy hitting the panel with a baseball bat is entertaining.

Their FB page says they are hoping to be in production this spring, pending (my impression) a cash infusion. I'd be tempted to go for a 10". The design looks aero and the roof section could be removed to store it in the garage; alternately the entire thing can be dissembled and panels stored. I'd like to see some mechanism that locks each panel together that bypasses the need for a tension strap. One thing I'm NOT seeing is any accommodation for AC or heat. The assembly video gives a super good sense of how the head room works.
http://www.facebook.com/TealShelters

Tail Feather Camper Kit Model 10.0 - (utility trailer not included)
Fits on a 5' x 10' or larger utility trailer, double doors in the rear, four operating windows, two fixed windows, dinette/queen bed, sink counter, hanging three shelf cabinet, hanging wardrob, LED lighting, Power Panel
Suggested Retail Price: $9,500

Would also be great if they had an option for a pop-up roof, which I think was a feature of the original design (can't remember)
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion