Hi

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi

Postby neuromomma » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi;

I'm new to the tear drop trailer scene. I'm trying to learn but there is so much I don't know. I am struggling with this gas strut business for holding the rear hatch up. I think I know what I need then I got bogged down when I search the internet for what I want. Basically I feel dumber by the day. I need a mentor :o

Neuromomma
neuromomma
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hi

Postby Bill n Robi » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:25 am

I remember seeing a calculator for struts but since mine is 'store bought', I didn't bookmark it. If you can't find it, I am sure someone will post a link to it.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby drgrumpus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi, and welcome. If you are looking at gas struts, have you finished the build? If you are just starting, you don't have to consider that detail yet-just leave room for them in the galley. I did my build 3 years ago and added struts just last fall. It was easier than I thought except for cutting away part of a shelf to clear the strut. The strut sizing depends on the weight of the finished hatch. In my case, I had a full 5 feet wide hatch with inner head liner and inner lights and tail lights. I ended up with 120 pound struts to support the hatch fully open. Use McMaster-Carr for struts. Lots of options and end fittings.

Mike
Five cords of wood in, snow tires on, 5 X 8 NT frame on order. Gonna build a TD this winter.
drgrumpus
Teardrop Builder

Postby Robotcheney » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:48 pm

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=58263#p1052800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robotcheney
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves