Need glasses/phone shelf ideas

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Need glasses/phone shelf ideas

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Some of these mesh holders might work: https://compact-camping-concepts-2.mysh ... all?page=7
(Three examples on this page. Scroll down to see them.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:42 pm

If you sew and have patience, cut the back pockets out of old jeans and save them. Then when you have 6 of them, sew them onto some jean material that you can hang on the wall. Sort of like a shower caddy, shoe caddy. Of course you can only fit one, maybe 2 cell phones in a pocket and several pair of glasses in a pocket but it's light weight and compact. Just an idea to throw in with the rest of the really good shelf ideas. :)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:17 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
Sharon, you have the same reading lights I do in your camper.

I noticed that, yes, and I love mine. They are great for in-bed reading. I love them even more since I replaced the incandescent bulbs with SMD soft white LEDs.

Sharon, do you have a link to those bulbs? I am having a hard time finding led replacement bulbs for the 1139if bulbs for my reading lamps. Thanks!
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JaggedEdges » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:20 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Some of these mesh holders might work: https://compact-camping-concepts-2.mysh ... all?page=7
(Three examples on this page. Scroll down to see them.)

I was thinking along those lines for mine, but figuring on getting the ones you can get for the back of car seats and adapting how they are attached (Usually a strap over the headrest)

OR, I was going to chop rows off one of the over door shoe storage things.

Think I might have a shelf too, will have mattress right up to the front wall (8 footer) but think it will be okay if it's high and is only 4" deep. Maybe would have reading lights installed under it.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:55 pm

I ran across this last night. At 32" tall, you might not even need to make any length modifications. It looks like the over-the door hooks are optional on those grommets, too. Colors are neutral. AND...it's on clearance sale for less than $12:

https://www.whateverworks.com/itemdy00. ... rm=kf6-604

(I'll have to look up the address on those LED lights. I remember that the last time I looked, I was sent to another site as the one I used had been closed...price had gone up to about $10 each. :shock: But, let me see what I can find so that I can at least tell you what to look for.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Okay...On the LED's. What I used was 1x BA15S 1156 1141 LED Car Internal light bulb 18-5050 SMD 12V,Warm White #18WW ( 180817318470 )

and they look like the sixth one down on this Amazon page:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... 1139+lamps

However, this time, when I used the old address, EBay redirected me to this, :D which looks like the same thing and the right price, since you seem to only need two:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HQRP-BA15S-1141 ... 0518604410

The main thing is to get the SMD warm white with one nipple on the base of the bulb. When you look at the picture, you'll see. However, because your lamps could be a lot newer than mine, you might want to pull out one of your incandescent bulbs and check that they are still using one nipple contact and not two.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lfhoward » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:11 pm

Thank you Sharon! I have a quick question for you. The bulbs you linked to have LED's around the sides but not on the tip/end of the cylinder, so all the light shines to the sides. Are you satisfied with the reading light fixture's ability to redirect that side light out, so you can comfortably read? Is there a shadow in the center of the light pattern on your book or is it fairly uniform? Thanks for your help!
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:04 am

lfhoward wrote:Thank you Sharon! I have a quick question for you. The bulbs you linked to have LED's around the sides but not on the tip/end of the cylinder, so all the light shines to the sides. Are you satisfied with the reading light fixture's ability to redirect that side light out, so you can comfortably read? Is there a shadow in the center of the light pattern on your book or is it fairly uniform? Thanks for your help!

Those little squares on the sides are the lights. It may be a bad photo, don't know...But, there are three LED squares on the end of mine. I know that seems strange; but, they work great. If in doubt, you could just buy one for the $5.95 and try it. That's what I did at first. I also tried a bulb type but found that the bulb type didn't leave enough room to hold the bulb when inserting it into the lamp. I ended up using that one in an outside lamp.

Please look at the picture below. The light on the left is LED. The light on right is the original incandescent. The LED bulb sticks out past the opening just a fraction of an inch but doesn't cause any problems.

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:43 pm

This one definitely has the LEDs on the end as well as the side. You can see them in the display picture:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/322386817052
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:39 pm

I made a couple of flip-up shelves in the front 2 corners of my teardrop, above the pillow area. Great storage for: glasses, cell phone, car keys, wallet, newspaper, readers digest, electric heater and the trusty ol' 45 cal. pistola, just in case.
:D :thumbsup: Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:55 am

Even tho I built my shelf/storage area after the TD was completed, it would have been better if incorporated into the actual build. After a couple of hunting trips I realized I needed a place to store my hunting rifles 'out of sight' so I began looking for space in the 5' wide TD to construct such an area. I 'settled' on the front 'curve' of the cabin as the best place so I got out my tools, bought some supplies, & went to work. We also needed better lighting than the overhead light I'd installed when building. I had on hand several 'bullet' type, directionally adjustable 12vdc aircraft cabin type lights, just needed a place to put 'em. I constructed a framework from ripped spruce 2x4s & some scrap luan ply that I had on hand. Guess I must've already had this in mind 'cause I'd installed the wiring for lights (including for indirect LEDs) when building the TD :thinking: .

I built boxes for the directionally adjustable 'bullet' lights & for the indirect LEDs, covered the framework with 1/8" luan, installed a piece of 1/2" ply for the top, added 1/8"luan trim over the ends of the 1/2" ply, & used a piece of 1/8" luan with 1/2" fir ply spacer & a handle as a cover/shelf for nighttime storage. We keep a small box of tissues & other miscellaneous items there during travel (I also built-in a 'rail' to keep things in place). I can remove all items, lift the luan top & the storage area will hold as many as 5 hunting rifles (in soft cases), securely, for travel as well as keeping them 'outta sight' from casual obvservation. The indirect LEDs provide just enough 'soft light' to move around but not disturb another sleeper during those nighttime nature calls that are inevitable for folks our age. we use the top as a place to keep our glasses & other personal items at night... The storage cabinet also provides a neat 'back rest' for lying in bed reading, watching a movie, etc. :thumbsup:

Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion