my truck camper

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: my truck camper

Postby Philip » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:25 pm

KCStudly wrote:
Philip wrote:I still haven't decided on hard panels or just cheat and dig out the sewing machine and make canvas panels.

Maybe there is a logical reason to do both? Start with the easier soft sided version but leave your options open so that you can adapt hard sides later when you decide you want them. Just a thought.

When I make the lift system. I will leave enough room so either system could be used. Both types of panels canvas or hard would take up about the same amount of room. The hard panels would need a different mounting system. But both would fall real close mounting position wise.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:39 pm

This is where I am at right now.

The left side lower wall is done. The left side storage box is done.

At this point I'll be taking a couple of days off to make a roller cart and get it lower to the floor. I am not going to be building the roof panels on a ladder.
Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Got the cart done and started on the left side middle wall. Here is where I stopped at today.

I also put down some rubber matting to keep most of the dirt and foot prints off the living room floor till I get it painted. :lol:

Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Today I cut the other insulation for the two spaces that weren't done yesterday. This foam has a bow to it.It wouldn't lay down so I could trim it to size. So I just glued it down and called it a day.

I did do some mock up on the inner roof panel on that side to check it for fit. Looked good. No pic.
Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:12 pm

Today I finished off the left side outer wall skin. I would have finished it yesterday but on the last cut of the panel The saw guide slipped. Well so much for that panel. I made another one today. At least I had a good pattern for most of the cuts. :lol:

Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Today I worked on the inner right side wall. Got it installed and glued insulation down.

tomorrow I'll start on the outer panel.
Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Yesterday I made the outer wall panel and installed it.

Then I started on the inner roof wood work. In these next pic's the ply is just cut to size and setting in place checking the fit into the lower panels.

This pic is some wood thrown on top figuring out what I need for support of the lift system and what ever else is going under the main top.

Those were yesterdays pic's. Today I installed those inner roof panels and started on roof supports. I didn't get any pic's. I'll do that tomorrow. When I get farther into those.
Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:00 am

I kind of forgot to keep this updated. :oops:

Sense the last post I have finished the roof off.

Then I trimmed out the opening.

In this pic I was doing a test on the roof lift system design I am thinking of making. From measurements and actual lifting test. It looks like I only need about 6" linear actuators to get it to work. I'll know better when I get the metal system built. I have parts on order now to start building it except the actuators. That pic shows 24" of lift measured from the top of the box to the top of the upper frame the scissors are attached to.

I have been building some shelves into the inside storage areas. Of the two areas on that side only one section is getting shelves. It will be the same on the other side. Those shelves have a 1/2" drop towards the outside wall. I don't want it to spit out everything onto the floor when we open a door after our travels. :lol:

Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:57 pm

Time for another up date.

The last couple of days I have been working on the storage areas. I finished the left side off except the end wall. Same with the right side. On the right side I had the router bit slip. Before I could get it under control to turn it off. It had ate some of the lower frame out. :shock:

Needless to say I was not happy. That area will be covered with a door. So I am not going to try and do anything with it.

Left side storage area. Both face panels have been spot puttied and sanded. I have a few small areas to touch up. The connection joint at the ceiling has been puttied in also. I didn't get a pic of that.

Today I installed the head liner into the upper frame work. :lol:

Now if your wondering why I haven't started building the upper lifting roof. I am waiting for the lift system to be built. I would rather have it made and installed. That way I know the up and down limits. I don't want to take a chance on doing that piece twice. I have plans out at a machine shop of what I need made.

No I don't have drawings made. I'll show the parts and install when I get them into my little hands. :lol:
Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:36 pm

The last couple of days I have been capping the end walls on the inside storage bays. Both sides are done.

Then I grabbed a paint brush and started to paint the inside of the driver side box. Tomorrow it gets a second coat. Then I'll start on the other side.

Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Today I got the second coat on the left side storage bay. Then I did the first coat on the right side bay and the two lower bays.

Sorry no pic's. The ones I took were dlurry so no reason to post them.

Tomorrow I am going to second coat the bays I did today.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 am

Are you keeping up with the weight of the wood you are adding on? Your work looks really solid; you may be facing a problem later, if the weight gets away from you. I kept a sorta accurate weight log on my TTT build; I under-estimated a bit, and my 1000 lb goal was missed by a bunch (after 4 years of alterations, it is about 1700 lbs now).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 am

Build looks fantastic! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: I'm interested in seeing your roof lift mechanism.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Philip » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:07 am

I haven't tried to keep a running weight. I have 3500lbs of GVW to play with on my truck. I know I am going to be under that quite a bit. So far I have 13 sheets of 1/4" ply, 6 sheets of 3/8" ply, about 30 sticks of 1/2"x3/4" trim molding for wall studs, 12 sticks of 3/4" x 1.5" lumber. Those 1.5 sticks were plained down to 1/2" thick.

Most of the lift system will be aluminum or plastic. The top will come in under 100#.

The inside storage area was made from cutoff pieces from the side walls. I still have one more shelf to make inside. that one will be on the left side. It will run all the way to the front wall. Its going to be about 8" tall. I am going to put inside lighting controls, heater and A/C ducting into it.

Aggie I am just waiting for a call from the machine shop. :lol:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:09 pm

I finished the second coat of paint of all the storage areas.

Left side lower bay.

Left inner bay.

right inner bay

right lower bay.

After the painting was done I started back on doing spot putting on the brad holes inside. been on the for a day and a half. No pic's the putty I am using is the same color as the ply. The camera could pick it up. :lol:
Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals