My take on making coffee in camp and the end solution.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: My take on making coffee in camp and the end solution.

Postby stumphugger » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:03 am

I'm lazy. I got one of these https://www.myjocoffee.com/

I like it so well that I have brought it into the house to use this winter. It takes less water to clean up than a French press. In fact, the clean up factor is why I use it. I don't know how the coffee tastes because I like to make mochas.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 am

We are not coffee gourmets. We use standard grind Colombian coffee & a percolator with a square, paper filter in the basket. We currently have a 6-cup stainless steel pot with a glass 'bubble' on top. We do carry water for coffee separately from our normal supply. Every night before bedtime I fill the pot from our coffee water container, put a filter in the basket, add grounds (lightly heaped teaspoonful per cup of water) & set it on the stove. If we're in the teardrop we use a small butane cartridge stove kept in the galley, if we're in the Casita I set it on the 2-burner cook-top. When our alarm goes off in the morning I either get out of bed, raise the galley hatch & light the butane stove under the pot, or simply light the burner under the pot in the Casita. When it begins to 'perk' I lower the flame enough to get a 'perk' every few seconds, & 5 minutes later we have hot, delicious coffee (I'm a 5-minute man for coffee perking). For almost 40years we used a 7-cup aluminum percolator but the plastic 'bubble' on top finally got so mis-shapen it wouldn't stay in the lid so I 'invested' in the stainless pot... From the first pot it has produced excellent coffee, without the 'taste' we'd sometimes get from the aluminum. We're very pleased with our new pot :applause:
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kokomoto » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Boil water, add 2 or 3 scoops of your favorite course ground beans, pour the water into the coffee press, wait 4 minutes, smash the press, enjoy your coffee. Fast enough for me. Not sure how you're cleaning your press, but a splash of wash after dumping the grounds is all mine requires. No filters to buy or run out of. Simple, compact, and fool proof.

If your water is too hot (boiling) it will cause the burned beans flavor. Let the water cool down from the boil a bit. The time it takes to scoop the beans into the press is usually long enough. If it's too cool, it won't bring the oils out of the beans and the full flavor won't develop during the brew.

Some years ago I had acid reflux problems. It was bad enough that I was considering seeing a doctor about it, who probably would have prescribed the latest miracle drug. I then switched from the cheap, mass produced brand of coffe they were brewing in the coffee maker at work. The acid reflux went away completely. When I started drinking the cheap stuff again, the acid reflux came back. I now buy only 100% arabica beans for my coffee. I later discovered that cheaper brands often use the robusto beans which are cheaper to grow. They also have a much higher acid level which I believe causes the acid reflux problem for me. The also taste crappy and bitter even when brewed properly.

Coffee Gourmet? Yep! And my stomach is much happier for it. :beer:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby UK-Corlett » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Espresso anyone?

I have had this for years, makes a great cup.

Clive
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion