Rear hatch seal and trim

Finishes, paints and coatings

Rear hatch seal and trim

Postby TallyTear » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:52 pm

Trying to figure out the best way to seal up rear hatch. My walls are 1.5 hatch is already finished. I did not extend the wood skin out to edge. Somebody has got to have some answers/pictures. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TallyTear
Teardrop Builder

Re: Rear hatch seal and trim

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:59 pm

The best way to get a nice seal on a hatch is to have a good plan before starting to build. This can be as simple as a hand sketch of the cross section where the wall and hatch meet, and then a couple of details about what will happen at the hinge and back edge of the floor. There are several variations that have proven to work well in the past, most of which can be incorporated in one form or another. Usually these rely on at least the outer hatch skin overlapping the edges of the galley wall.

Perhaps if you post some pictures or a sketch of what you have, you might get some more useful help and ideas.

If you have not done that and your skinned hatch is sitting inside of and flush to the profile edge of the wall, perhaps you can add another skin layer, or just an edge trim piece fixed flat to the perimeter hatch so that it overlaps the wall. You might even want to build this up with a shim to allow some space for weather stripping (or use a rabbeting bit in a router to cut a notch for the weather stripping in the outside edge of the wall).

Len's method (link) might give you some ideas on an alternate method to surface mount a seal with an inset hatch. However, you will see that the hatch skin still overlaps the seal.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby El_Ducko » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:44 pm

El_Ducko
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:20 am

:thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GO_C_DAVE » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm really interested as to how your problem gets fixed. I am in the middle of my build and for some reason my hatch skin doesn't match up with the edge wall. and now... the skin that I tried to glue on to the hatch is "bulging" up in certain spots.
It's about 1/8" off.
If my building experience holds up, that shouldn't be too bad (seeing that I use 1/2" weatherstripping).
Also, I'm using the offset moulding as well.
I can build that !!!!
GO_C_DAVE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GO_C_DAVE » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:01 pm

Also if you want to extend the wall, Use FRP over the hatch and then go over that with the aluminum skin.
The FRP is very bendable. (fiber reinforced panel) Lowes or any building material store.
I can build that !!!!
GO_C_DAVE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IndyTom » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Also watching this thread with interest. I am quickly approaching the galley portion of my build, and the hatch will be one of the first things I do for the galley. I'm looking for ideas so I do it right the first time.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Return to Skinning secrets