Coolers! Soggy Food! Solved?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Coolers! Soggy Food! Solved?

Postby warnmar10 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:55 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
Kelly'sTear wrote:I buy bottled water in the gallon or half gallon if I can find it and freeze it. That way it keeps the food cold and when ice melts it just provides more drinking water and it's cold!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Unless you like to tempt fate, DO NOT DRINK THE WATER! It has been found that water frozen in plastic has even more carcinogens than hot water above 109 degrees F in plastic. But, it's your choice....

...Enough said.
I like having choices. I don't like poisoning myself or my loved ones.
FWIW, another point of view on reusing and freezing water bottles: https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4060
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
warnmar10
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:23 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
Kelly'sTear wrote:I buy bottled water in the gallon or half gallon if I can find it and freeze it. That way it keeps the food cold and when ice melts it just provides more drinking water and it's cold!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Unless you like to tempt fate, DO NOT DRINK THE WATER! It has been found that water frozen in plastic has even more carcinogens than hot water above 109 degrees F in plastic. But, it's your choice....

...Enough said.

There are multiple reputable sources that indicate those claims are false. If you freeze in a plastic container designed to store liquids for consumption you should be safe. I wouldn't store drinking water in my Pennzoil
bottle and expect a good result.
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:07 am

prayingcowboy wrote:We use a small vinyl fold up camping bucket that holds one bag of ice. We stick in one corner of our engal high efficiency cooler. No more soggy food. As a side note yes the rotoformed coolers are expensive but we go at least every other weekend in the summer and at least 2 stretches if 8 days. We have never had the ice completely melt or anything spoil especially milk. What we have saved in ice over the last two summers has mare then paid for the cooler. Yes we were just out for 4 days last weekend in 94+ temperatures my son used 10 bags if ices I used 1 and some left over to put back in the freezer. My point is if go slot in the summer splurge and upgrade.it is worth it.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

one trick for keeping ice longer(actually written in the YETI instructions) is to PRE-COOL them before use

as suggested above the YETI will do a better job(not that there aren't clones out there that will also work well)

i have experienced 2 specific instances when my YETI performed quite admirably

1- shaded in a boat on the Texas gulf coast in June when i still had ice after 4 days

1- in the unshaded back of my pick up out across west Texas & eastern New Mexico when i still had ice after 5 days

in both cases opening was kept to a minimum and by keeping another cooler designated for liquid refreshments where "RODEO COOL" was acceptable/actually desired...

as for keeping the food out of the water, i employ many of the above listed plastic containers (not plastic/zip-loc bags) including the semi disposable zip-loc containers w/ the blue lids

for short trips i do employ zip-loc bags for the ice, knot the food

LOTSA GOOD READING IN THIS THREAD!!!

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:07 pm

My solution to soggy food was a 12v fridge. The edgestar brand isn't a ton more expensive than the yeti coolers. No more ice to buy, no special containers. Food can go back in the home fridge. A 35 litre fridge holds about the same amount of food as a 50 to 70 liter cooler ( less ice).
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:28 pm

S. Heisley wrote:I freeze water in plastic containers that are built like a cereal box and put one of those at each end....
  • Sharon-I'm getting ready for my next excursion, trying to get all the items in line prior to packing. I am still going to use the three coolers I always take, but I want to pack them with an eye towards longer-lasting frigidity. The cereal-box shaped containers you mention, are just what I'm looking for. I want to pre-package my favorite ice tea (peach, instant sweet tea), in freezable containers, that I can use as ice-substitutes, and drink as I need them.
  • great value peach iced tea mix.jpeg
    great value peach iced tea mix.jpeg (26.84 KiB) Viewed 454 times
    I drink this stuff by the gallon!
  • I saw some I liked for that, two years ago, but I can't remember who had them, who makes them, or where to get them. My shopping at Walmart (99% of the time) hasn't been fruitful in my hunt. Sharon, where did you get yours? who makes them? do they reseal easily? do they last? I'm getting tired of having nothing lest but cool water at the end of a weekend, so I hope having several of these in each cooler will serve both needs better (longer lasting than bag ice, my favorite beverage as they return to liquid state).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby doris s. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:28 pm

Now that I'm not camping with kids I don't need a big cooler. I take things to eat that don't have to be refrigerated. Camping is just temporary so I don't mind not having all the comforts of home.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby greygoos » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Here is a recent purchase, saw it at a camping show. Seems to do the job. https://coolermateinsert.com/
Attachments
coolermate.gif
coolermate.gif (72.46 KiB) Viewed 340 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion