Tow speed

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Tow speed

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:16 pm

TD We have been up to 70MPH for sustained periods, bearings greased with synthetic grease and Timkin, Replaced ST tires with passenger car tires, speed rating may be important.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 pm

I usually take a break about 30 minutes or an hour into a trip and check on the bearing temp. If the hubs are warmer to touch than the fenders then I pay attention. I haven't had that problem with this trailer.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby JaggedEdges » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:44 pm

dancam wrote:I drive to not break the law or piss others off. If the limit is 100 ill do 105 if everyone else is doing 110km/hr which is usually the case. Highways with more than 1 lane going one direction arent worth taking while camping. Nothing to see. And i dont want a lineup of 20 irritated people behind me.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Yah, I'm finding I have to do that, can't go 100kph or you get cutoff way too much. (This is about 60/65/70 for you murricans)
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby CamperDave » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:51 pm

I've used my old HF/NT folding trailer all over the place. Probably close to 10,000 miles, only replace the tires once. I think I only repacked the bearings once. It was either loaded full with camping gear, a Harley or way over-loaded a few times with mulch. You couldn't kill that thing. When the wood started to rot out after 20+ years, I gave it to a friend who still uses it to haul firewood around his property.

Loaded in the hills/mountains kept the speeds down below 65 but on the long trips from CT to SD or CT to FL, cruised right along at 70. I'd always feel the hubs during stops, never had any issues.
CamperDave
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Don L. » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Regarding tow speed I try to keep up with traffic in the slow lane on the interstates, sometimes up to 70 with my standie. Speed isn't the issue, it's the braking and maneuvering I'm concerned about. I like to keep some distance from traffic on interstates when possible.
On 2 lane roads 50-55 is comfortable because I usually don't know the roads like the locals do.

The roads here in Virginia are usually curvy and hilly, and go to some interesting places like this;
Attachments
Chippokes SP.jpg
Chippokes SP.jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:18 pm

With my F150 TV pulling a CT, I can stay with the speed limits on interstates. Truck wind has not been an issue with my SA trailer. But I usually run between 55-60 mainly because it is less stressful and to save on gas consumption. My trailer's flat front which is mabye 18 or more inches higher then my truck cab and it can act like big sail. On secondary roads, the towing is very comfortable, but some narrower back highway roads do need to be driven at even a lower speed. Many of the curves can come up on you very quickly. One bad driving habit of others I have noticed is the oncoming traffic crossing the double yellow lines on sharp curves. At least in my area of VA, one has to be very much on his/her toes with this issue.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:22 pm

I do the road-trip type trips. A lot of miles between stops. I have a light teardrop on a HF trailer with 12" tires.
I have around 15,000 on the camper. Used up one set of tires(30 PSI) and just repacked the bearings. I am old school and hand pack the bearing(no bearing buddies)
I tow at or 4 over the speed limit. I believe people going under the speed limit (under the speed of traffic) can be a hazard. If traffic will be pass them. You are not safe if you get other to be unsafe.
I do use a lot of freeways so I have towed at speed up to 80 mph. When the limit is 85 mph With my Ford Freestyle with CVT. The car at 85 will think I am passing move the rpm up to 5000 rpm.
So If allowed I will toe at 80 mph for 250 miles at a time.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby elcam84 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:33 pm

Anytime I tow it's almost always the speed limit or the flow of traffic. That means here 65 to 85 speed limits on the freeway. Now if it's a heavy trailer or badly loaded I reduce accordingly same as with weather. No reason to be a slow poke and be an accident waiting to happen on the freeway holding up traffic.

If you are going slow please stay in the right lane unlike Texans here which like to go immediately to the left lane and drive under the speed limit then get mad when you pass them.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby JaggedEdges » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:48 pm

elcam84 wrote:If you are going slow please stay in the right lane unlike Texans here which like to go immediately to the left lane and drive under the speed limit then get mad when you pass them.

Scumbags like that have nearly hit me on several occasions, coming out of the (big clue here) acceleration lane as soon as they could cross, going like 40mph and immediately go across to the left lane, without gaining much speed .... hope a semi gets them.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby elcam84 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Yeah its constant here. They love to head straight to the left lane then they doodle around and they buy trucks that don't come from the factory with mirrors or turn signals.
Driving here in DFW is one of the worst places to drive in the country for inattentive driving. I travel all over the country and it's such a relief to drive in other places as its just more relaxing. Just the drive back home from the airport and I'm already stressed. Stuck behind a group of road hogs on the express doing 60 in a 75... If you want to drive slow stay off the toll lanes.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:45 pm

I enjoy poking along and enjoying the scenery. I usually tow my TD about 10 mph under the speed limit. My Tacoma feels like it's working too hard over 65. If I have a line of cars behind me, I'll kick it up until the next passing lane then slow down and let everyone pass. On the interstate, 65 max is the general rule. I've spent all day in the slow lane and maybe pass a handful of others who are actually slower than me. :shock: Get a horse! :x :oops:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Previous

Return to General Discussion