I think it's time to build another one...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: I think it's time to build another one...

Postby aggie79 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Mike,

Timely build!

We too are looking for the holy grail of design also - not too big but roomy enough so that we can stay inside during inclement weather and don't feel too crowded. The only additional requirement is that we will need some sort of indoor shower.

We'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Tom,

Something like this?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:54 am

Indoor shower ??? Hot water heater , pump, fresh, gray water tank ? ... After much thought , we gave up all that for a curtain and a bucket which also functions as sink and storage ... ( see: Camping )
Also for our “intent" ( infoam) , we’ll be likely staying either at a campground or friends driveway , so showers are always available ... in the mountains we just jumped in the creek ( very Cold ) ... JMHO , all those extras luxuries are more “RV" than Foamie ... we tried that already .... “hated it !“
But it’s all what YOU want eh ... ! :thumbsup: We all have different levels of camping , different “needs" ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 am

Did anybody consider building a Bigger trailer ... you can make a proper steel square tube frame all around , hang your foam/Ply/PMF/ Fiberglass all on that ... careful equiptment selection could keep the weight under 3000 lb. , still not a beast to tow ... make it a decent size (comfortable )... Not exactly Tiny to some people ... Having a Large garage or Barn and a full set of tools would really help ... but it wouldn’t be very difficult to do for the skilled home craftsman ... just a Bigger project ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Hmmm??? Since Mike has a CNC machine , ribs would be no problem ... :thinking: even ribs with lightening holes ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Of course Glenn!

But the question is, do I build so that others can copy what I did, or do I build so that no one can copy what I did... ??? What would I tell Tom?

Mike...

GPW wrote:Hmmm??? Since Mike has a CNC machine , ribs would be no problem ... :thinking: even ribs with lightening holes ... ;)
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Mike, I wouldn’t feel obligated to be responsible for other builders... You’ve already so graciously provided this Wonderful space and the ability for us to all share ideas ... that’s Plenty . and a Big Thanks for that !!! 8) :thumbsup:
I’d build what will be good for YOU , no matter what anybody else thinks ... they don’t have to camp in it ... :roll: You Lead the way !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Mike,
First of all I am very interested to see your new design ideas.

Second, I have a fiberglass Boler trailer with two double beds, toilet, but no shower. I find that having built-in water tanks is reducing my fun time while camping. I'll explain:
The tanks have limited holding capacity and depending how many people and how much water they are using, sooner or later I will have to tow away to dumping station and replenish clean water tank, very often before the day we pack and leave our camping site..

Now, what I decided to do with my new build is to have removable 5-7gal plastic tanks (aquatainers) for clean and gray water, It will be much less disruptive for a camp setup. As for the shower, I plan a curtained area inside the trailer with some sort of tray and 2 gal sprayer filled with warm water...I did not camp with such shower setup yet, but others here seem to be happy with that. The shower tray will be removable and stowable, toilet bucket or porta-poty will be stowable under a bed as well. This will leave more space inside the trailer. I got some inspiration of floor plan from Knaus Travelino caravan (see video at about 1:42 below), my build bathroom area is of a similar idea, except I also have a lifting roof and perhaps bathroom rigid folding walls (not curtain), still working on their design details.

Oleg

OP827
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:46 am

mikeschn wrote:Tom,

Something like this?

Mike...

Mike,

That's what my wife had in mind, but with a small inside kitchen instead of the front bench seat. This standy looks like a bigger version of Jerry's (Donutboy) Retro-Kamper - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=33938&hilit=retro+camper. Jerry's build is one of my all-time favorites from this forum.

I also like two trailers from the former Trailer Works company (apparently no longer in business). One was a prototype documented on this forum: ttp://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=377215#p377215. This is similar to the Retro-Kamper. Another one I like was their 1200 model. It has a bathroom across the front (with sink/vanity, shower space, and toilet). On the curb side is a door and a small wardrobe closet. Across from it is a sink, cooktop and small refrigerator in a kitchen cabinet. I believe the bed runs lengthwise rather than transverse. (I like the lengthwise "Ricky and Lucy" bed arrangement because the center aisle allows night runs without having to crawl over someone.)

Here are a few pictures of the exterior of the 1200:

Unfortunately there are not many good pictures of the interior. These are what I found on the internet. (I may have some more pictures on my home computer.) The left image is a picture through the front bath door. It shows a small vanity in the bath on the right, then the bath wall, and then the kitchen cabinet on the left. The right image shows the aft end of the kitchen cabinet and the beginning of the dinette area.

Take care,
Tom
Last edited by aggie79 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby aggie79 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:36 pm

mikeschn wrote:Of course Glenn!
But the question is, do I build so that others can copy what I did, or do I build so that no one can copy what I did... ??? What would I tell Tom?
Mike...

GPW wrote:Hmmm??? Since Mike has a CNC machine , ribs would be no problem ... :thinking: even ribs with lightening holes ... ;)

I would either:
a) Do it the old fashion way - make templates out of 1/4" mdf using old school layout techniques, rough cut to the lines with a jig saw, and finish cut with a plane and/or by sanding.
b) Build the CNC machine I've always wanted to. (Actually I probably would build two. One small CNC to learn on and to build parts for the second big machine.)

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:01 pm

How about this one? Just kidding. But it popped up on my screen, and it was quite large, so I threw it out there for grins and giggles!

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/22/15019 ... oad-camper

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby gizmotron » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:13 pm

So let me guess. The back swings up automatically and that's where you put the garbage?
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 pm

mikeschn wrote:How about this one? Just kidding. But it popped up on my screen, and it was quite large, so I threw it out there for grins and giggles!

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/22/15019 ... oad-camper

Mike...
  • Sorry Mike, but it's already been done...kinda sorta....
  • big n little bruders.jpg
    big n little bruders.jpg (77.12 KiB) Viewed 723 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:27 pm

That's funny. I should have known better than to throw up a picture of such an ugly trailer.

I'm thinking about playing on CAD this weekend. No promises, but let's see if I can come up with anything...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby gizmotron » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:28 pm

I couldn't resist. :o

Still, that so called "ugly trailer" looks extremely good as some kind of utilitarian form of craftsmanship. It's possibly a great example of form following function.

It's just not possible that this is the camp's garbage scow.
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies