axle safety question.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

axle safety question.

Postby bronco » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:41 am

after attatching my walls and the first section of spars i notice a slight difference in the clearence between the walls and the inside of my tires. i got under neath the trailer and took some measurements. it looks like the passenger side of the welded piece where the axle spring mounts is 3/16"-1/4" farther forward than the driver side. so of course now i have an axle with the same amount of kick to it. is this more a cosmetic thing than anything else because once my fenders are on you will never see it again. that shouldnt be a big enough offset to make it dangerous to pull, should it? you guys would know better than me. am i just being too critical? thanks for any input.
bronco
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:49 am

...it may possibly track very slightly to one side and probalby not be noticeable. It might also increase tire wear but should be safe to pull...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bronco » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:52 am

thanks madjack for the fast reply. cosmetic is one thing but safety is a huge thing with me. and i just wanted to move forward with some peace of mind. thank you!
bronco
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IndyTom » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:34 pm

Bronco,

Funny you should mention 3/16" off-center on your axle, I noticed exactly the sam thing on my frame a few months ago. Here is a link to the thread so you can see the responses that I got. I say you got nothing to worry about.

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... light=axle

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:39 pm

well..if, when you take it for a ride, you find it vibrates like a tire out of balance, you'll know it's because of the offset on the springs..if it don't vibrate, your good to go.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bronco » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:11 pm

thanks for the replies. i had a hunch with all of these trailers being in a thousand pieces that bolt together there might be some quirks. ha!
bronco
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:31 pm

That is slightly adjustable. If you loosen the u-bolts and wiggle it a bit towards the side you need it you may pick up some of that. The other thing you do at the same time is measure it and see which way it needs to go.... now start tightening your u-bolts... if you tighten the inside one a little more you'll notice the axle will move to one side ( off hand I can't think which one moves it which direction ) do the same thing on both springs. Make sure you get them all tight tho. This works really well four small amounts (like a 1/4") You may have to try it a couple of times but you should get it.
Otherwise you can leave it alone because that much off side to side won't effect the trailer at all.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques