Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

Postby lfrazer98 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:47 pm

http://localadkmagazine.uberflip.com/i/ ... ing-2017/0

I have been gone for a while, but have been checking back periodically at tnttt. :) I have been camping a lot the past 2 years, well as much as I can while working full time. I still haven't made it out West farther than Indiana, but plan to in the future. I have, however, spent quite a bit of time in NY, PA and the Adirondacks. If anyone is in the NY area, consider joining me and lots of fun people at the TearUp the ADK gathering in the Adirondacks. We had a local magazine write up last year's gathering in the link attached above. My camper made it into 2 photos! So excited! Anyway, this year is my third year at the TearUp the ADK event and I know if you live around NY State that you would love it too! Anyway, I hope all is well with everyone and I just wanted to share a little good news! It always feels nice when someone else appreciates your hard work! :applause: Keep it up everyone! Camping season is just around the corner for us northerners!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby flyguide » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:30 am

I'll be at Tearup ADK this year. By the name of Fishbum Frank.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby lfrazer98 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Great, Fishbum Frank! I am at site 241 and I see you are a few sites down at 224 or something like that. :) I am hoping for warmer weather this year! Since last year was so chilly, I actually looked into getting a second battery so that I could use a 12V electric blanket. However, with a 3-5amp draw, I would kill the battery in 15 hours. I am open to any suggestions from the rest of the tnttt crew about camping without electric in cooler temps. :) I know I could get solar panels and hope that I have sun, but I have looked into buying a second marine deep cycle battery and hooking it up in parallel to my current one to double the Amp Hours. I figured a second battery would be cheaper to a solar get up. Either way, I am looking forward to camping season! My first trip is to Canada with a few from the ADK group in May. Hope the weather is good! Happy camping season, everyone!!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:23 pm

lfrazer98 wrote:Great, Fishbum Frank! I am at site 241 and I see you are a few sites down at 224 or something like that. :) I am hoping for warmer weather this year! Since last year was so chilly, I actually looked into getting a second battery so that I could use a 12V electric blanket. However, with a 3-5amp draw, I would kill the battery in 15 hours. I am open to any suggestions from the rest of the tnttt crew about camping without electric in cooler temps. :) I know I could get solar panels and hope that I have sun, but I have looked into buying a second marine deep cycle battery and hooking it up in parallel to my current one to double the Amp Hours. I figured a second battery would be cheaper to a solar get up. Either way, I am looking forward to camping season! My first trip is to Canada with a few from the ADK group in May. Hope the weather is good! Happy camping season, everyone!!

What I learned as a boy scout. First Heat a quart of water or so in a good container, and wrap a towel around it, and put it down by your feet. Second, a good hat. When I was camped at 17F, I found that pre-heating the interior with a propane heater for about 30 minutes before bedtime helped too.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby flyguide » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:56 am

I have North Face sleeping bags. They are good to 10 below, they are very comfortable below 50. Above 50 to hot.
Have the Black Flies been bad in years past? I got bit up pretty bad many years ago hiking in Paradox.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby lfrazer98 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:05 pm

Socal Tom wrote:What I learned as a boy scout. First Heat a quart of water or so in a good container, and wrap a towel around it, and put it down by your feet. Second, a good hat. When I was camped at 17F, I found that pre-heating the interior with a propane heater for about 30 minutes before bedtime helped too.
Tom

My last trip in cool weather, I was not prepared for. I thought it was supposed to be 70's and it was barely 50's during the day, so I didn't have hats, extra blankets, and only had a fleece jacket to keep warm with. Yes, I did sleep in it with pants and a long sleeve shirt, too. I always sleep with the windows open so it is hard to get warm initially when I get in the camper. If I have electric, I have a tiny ceramic heater that works wonders. I will look into a propane heater. I don't even know what they look like besides those large room heaters that I grew up with. Thanks for the advice!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby lfrazer98 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:07 pm

flyguide wrote:I have North Face sleeping bags. They are good to 10 below, they are very comfortable below 50. Above 50 to hot.
Have the Black Flies been bad in years past? I got bit up pretty bad many years ago hiking in Paradox.
I guess I could always throw one of my sleeping bags in the SUV just in case for this year. As for the flies, I have not seen a black fly yet camping in the ADK. I think we always go late enough in June so we miss the season. :thumbsup:
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:13 pm

lfrazer98 wrote:
Socal Tom wrote:What I learned as a boy scout. First Heat a quart of water or so in a good container, and wrap a towel around it, and put it down by your feet. Second, a good hat. When I was camped at 17F, I found that pre-heating the interior with a propane heater for about 30 minutes before bedtime helped too.
Tom

My last trip in cool weather, I was not prepared for. I thought it was supposed to be 70's and it was barely 50's during the day, so I didn't have hats, extra blankets, and only had a fleece jacket to keep warm with. Yes, I did sleep in it with pants and a long sleeve shirt, too. I always sleep with the windows open so it is hard to get warm initially when I get in the camper. If I have electric, I have a tiny ceramic heater that works wonders. I will look into a propane heater. I don't even know what they look like besides those large room heaters that I grew up with. Thanks for the advice!

Look for the catalytic style, Mr. Heater and Coleman both have decent offerings.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby flyguide » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:36 am

I have a Coleman Catalytic, that I used to use in my tent. I've been afraid to use it in the TT, that I would suffocate. I always sleep with windows open and sometimes the vent also.
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 pm

flyguide wrote:I have a Coleman Catalytic, that I used to use in my tent. I've been afraid to use it in the TT, that I would suffocate. I always sleep with windows open and sometimes the vent also.

I just preheat the interior for about 30 minutes before I go to bed, then shut it off while I sleep. Warming up,the walls, bed, cabinets etc helps me fall asleep rather than shiver trying to get the cold bed warm in a cold room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals