Full time?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Full time?

Postby Joe.H » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Hello all

Are there any full time/ retired TD people here?
Joe.H
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Full time?

Postby deleted » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:55 am

I don't think she posts here often but Jordan, who I met over on the Tearjerkers forum, has been mostly full time from her teardrop. You can follow her adventures here: http://myteardroppinlife.blogspot.com/

I lived from The Glameptte full time for 6 months in a friend's backyard in the Santa Cruz mountains in California and hope to travel and live from her full time someday in the future as well.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 am

I suppose anything is possible when a person is dedicated, motivated, tenacious.
For us, going full-time in a teardrop would not work.

It's just the wrong tool for the job. A teardrop is the optimum tool for short trips to enjoy the outdoors.
For us to go full time, our list of things-to-bring gets so much longer it would become difficult to store.
In the RV industry, they have a specific criteria for an RV to show it's suitable for full-timers.
A washer and dryer for doing laundry.

The wife and I talked a lot before committing to this first TD build.
It seems every possible niche in the spectrum of RVs is filled with a product.
For us, only the two extreme ends of the spectrum make any sense, tiny and giant.
For now, a teardrop for short trips of a weekend or maybe a week.
Later, if we decide to go full time, we'll jump out to a giant fifth wheel or 40 foot motorhome.
They cost as much as a very nice house, but they function as a nice house that travels.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cathy P. » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:53 am

I'm still a "wannebe" but here is thread I started and a couple of others: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65568 and http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=67619 and http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42218

After 9 RVs from tent campers to a Class C, I am just tired of ALL of the systems and possibilities for problems and repairs. Also, the bigger they are the more limited one is. Tired of "limits"!
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Postby Joe.H » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks all!
Joe.H
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm

I think full time in a teardrop is a bit of a stretch. My son lives in a 10 foot (inside) vintage standy trailer, and is getting along just fine. All RV parks have toilets and showers and it suits him just fine. You can't beat the cost of living, and he has made a bunch of friends in the RV park. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for me to live in my 8 foot woody TD, even though I have electric heat, AC and TV hookups. A week or two would be just fine, but forever.......not a chance. To each his own, good luck.
:) 8) :thumbdown: Roly, the li'l ol' So Calif woody guy
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Nobody » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:18 am

I think I have to agree with Roly. We lived for over 14yrs in a 32' 5th wheel trailer/RV. My wife had a 9x16' 'storage' room next door for all the 'stuff' she didn't want to get rid of. We've also spent several months in an 8' & an 11.5' truck camper, as well as an 18' trailer & our 17' Casita fiberglass trailer. If you can 'give up' most material possessions, living in a small space is doable but it sure puts a 'crimp' in your lifestyle. We thought we'd 'go on the road' when we retired & we tried it in the 5th wheel camper for a while but then we came home & 'parked' it under a shed that my son & I had built specifically for it (with my wife's storage room' attached) & stayed there for quite a few years, coming & going in smaller campers when it pleased us. We did the Alaska Hiway in 1993 with the big truck camper, towing a small 4x4 Toyota p/u. We 'lived' full time in the camper for almost 3mos & had a great time but I don't think I'd want to try it in a TD. We've attended gatherings in the TD when the weather wasn't very nice & even with a 'walled' shelter over the galley we weren't as comfortable as being inside a larger rig. Might be OK for younger folks who aren't 'cold sensitive' but it ain't for us at this stage of our lives...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:09 pm

I know a couple. One is on his 9th year I think.You have to be of a certain mind set to be able to accomplish living as a total minimalist.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:I know a couple. One is on his 9th year I think.You have to be of a certain mind set to be able to accomplish living as a total minimalist.

I think you're probably right, & we don't have that mindset... more'n likely few people do. :R
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Well, when I was much, much younger, I lived on my sailboats for a bit over 10 years, all over the western hemisphere. They ranged in size from 35'-48'. When you cut down all the room for engine, tanks, etc, then not nearly as big as they sound. With that said, people used to ask me how I could handle living on something so small. My answer was simple...

Your house has a bedroom, where you sleep. My boat has the same, with anything from a double to king sized mattress.
Your house has a kitchen, where you cook. My boat has the same, just a lot smaller, but I've cooked a complete thanksgiving meal for 10 in Jamaica. Oh, and my stove swivels.
Your house has a dining room, where you eat. Mine has a couple of them, inside and out.
Your house has an office, where you work. My sailboat has a nav station, same thing, except I have a crap load of electronics.
Your house has a bathroom, where you do your toilet stuff. My sailboat has the same.
Your house has a living room, where you stare at a TV set. My sailboat's living room is my cockpit. All outdoors is my TV set.

Oh, and when I get tired of my neighbors or want to go somewhere else, I pull off the lines, and leave. A famous designer used to sail with me every now and then. He was on his first date with his next wife. We were about 5 miles out of Key West and he asked if I really carried a month's worth of food with me. I said yes. He asked how long it would take us to get to Cancun, I said about 4-5 days. He said "let's go". A few hours later his "date" got a bit upset because she realized we were serious. My girlfriend didn't care. So, long story short, we had to turn around and go home. About a year later they showed up when I was down in St. Lucia and we took off and spent the next 2 weeks bumming around. That is what freedom really is. We were friends because I guess I was one of the few people he knew that could care less who he was.

So, could I live full time in my camper, probably, but I wouldn't. We don't have a problem going out for 30-60 days though, which is what we getting ready to do in a few weeks. Go with your dreams, and don't regret them. I can honestly say that there are only a couple of things I ever wanted to do in my life that I didn't accomplish. Not everything was a good decision, not at all, but every decision was a learning experience.
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Whispering Wind » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:18 pm

Last edited by Whispering Wind on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
"What lies before you and what lies behind you pales insignificant when compared to what lies within you. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the harbor, and catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain.
Whispering Wind
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Beautifully written, Whispering Wind! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pchast » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Well Said. Thank You.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby low277 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:34 pm

I agree! Very well said!!
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:12 am

Wow, now there is a man who knows what his true feelings are, and is willing to write it down for all to see. In my 85 years, I have found that life is a journey, ever changing and interesting. We make mistakes, persue dreams and hopefully find happyness. I know, I have done all three. Right now, I am in the happyness phase, and am enjoying it every day, planning on my 100th, I hope.
8) :thumbsup: Roly, the li'l ol' woody teardropper in sunny So Calif.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Next

Return to General Discussion