Question, help needed. Ikea Slats and 6" foam

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Question, help needed. Ikea Slats and 6" foam

Postby OP827 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Does anyone have experience with 6" foam mattress placed over an Ikea's slatted bed base like show on photo below?
I was going to do it, but have some second thoughts of how 6" foam is going to perform over these slats and could it be pushed between the slats too much? I see that these slats are used with thicker mattresses at Ikea usually. Maybe I should ask in the place where I bought the foam from.. but really I'd rather hear it from someone who did such setup and had real world experience with it.
Slats are 2" wide and about 2-1/2" apart in an OEM nominal setup, but I can place them as close as 2-1/8" apart so I can still make expandable base like in the photo.

Thanks for all your input.

OP827
Donating Member

Re: Question, help needed. Ikea Slats and 6" foam

Postby working on it » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:25 pm

OP827 wrote:Does anyone have experience with 6" foam mattress placed over an Ikea's slatted bed base like show on photo below?
I was going to do it, but have some second thoughts of how 6" foam is going to perform over these slats and could it be pushed between the slats too much? I see that these slats are used with thicker mattresses at Ikea usually. Maybe I should ask in the place where I bought the foam from.. but really I'd rather hear it from someone who did such setup and had real world experience with it.
Slats are 2" wide and about 2-1/2" apart in an OEM nominal setup, but I can place them as close as 2-1/8" apart so I can still make expandable base like in the photo.

Thanks for all your input.

• Are you intending to use bare foam, or a pre-made mattress that already has a cover over the foam, like the Ikea mattresses have. I don't use slats, but I am going to use plastic shelving material under my mattresses, 2 Ikea Sultan Florvag twin foam pieces, as a spacer/waterproofer airgap (I had a tremendous door seal leak flood my cabin-not going to get my mattress(s) wet-goldarn it). Since the mattresses already have covers on them, and will also have a 5 mil thick waterproof bag over all, there is no way the foam can squeeze thru the gaps on my "shelves" or your slats (unless there is no cover at all, but the amount pushing thru would be negligible).
  • I had an old "extra" bed (the fold up to stow kind), with no mattress, but had a piece of 4" foam I found in a shipping crate. I tried it out on the bare springs of the bed, and there was little push-thru. However, the foam had a strong smell, not being made for sleeping on, that wouldn't dissipate, so I tossed it out.
  • I don't think you'd have any problems, but you could put a piece of thin plywood (5mm Luan), cut to fit, under the mattress if you need to.
  • 2IkeaMattressSultanFlorvag.jpg
    2IkeaMattressSultanFlorvag.jpg (30.15 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
    3 7/8" thick each; I use two in my 4x8
  • shelving.jpg
    shelving.jpg (45.58 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
    extra shelving being re-purposed as bed slats/spacers
  • mattress cover -heavy duty.PNG
    mattress cover -heavy duty.PNG (150.07 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
    extra precaution against water under the mattress (again)
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Dense foam with a sturdy cover will be fine
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks for replies guys. The foam will of course have some durable fabric cover. It is a 4" urethane foam plus 2" memory foam top, perhaps a medium dense mattress from Jysk, queen size that I will cut to make a folding sofa/bed. I think I will go for it and if I feel that any unneeded sagging, I am thinking that I can add some dense foam/mat layer to the bottom of mattress.
https://www.jysk.ca/mattresses/memory-foam-foam-mattresses/paradise-6-memory-twin.html
Will let you know how this goes. Thanks again for your input.
:thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:12 am

I had a bed a few years back with similar slats and a latex foam matress on it and it was my full time bed.
One of the most comfortable beds ive ever owned

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby JoyceB » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:41 am

My kids had an Ikea bunk bed with those slats and a foam mattress with the Ikea thin cotton cover and had no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
JoyceB
Teardrop Advisor

Postby OP827 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks for information Dale, Joyce! I am going for the slatted bed base in my caravan, and this is how it looks, not finished yet.

OP827
Donating Member

Postby Fordh8ter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:29 am

I was thinking, if sag between the slates really turns into an issue, i think you could do a top layer of just some thin 1/4 ply on top of the slats. You could keep the extendable function if you were to only secure the play on the ends (against the wall for the one side, against the "pull out edge" on the other. If you left the pull out side slightly longer, you would be able to keep the 2 pieces of ply overlapped, and they would function the same as the interlocking slats.

At least it seams to work in my head! Something to consider if the sag does become a problem...

OR!

As i'm typing this out... if your doing it as a sofa style bed, maybe insert a piece of ply into the back side of the cover of the mattress (might have to make your own cover if you plan to cut in half) but the ply doesn't need to be too thick, just something to prevent the foam from pushing through the slats!

One of those has to work!!!! Good Luck!
Fordh8ter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:51 pm

Again, high enough density of the foam will prevent any problem.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CanuckShooter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 pm

I would suspect you won't have any issues, but if you do...I'd use a couple pieces of Coroplast the size of your bed when it's slid in. It's super light and waterproof to boot.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts on this. I am thinking of adding some layer of a higher density foam to the 6" mattress I already bought in case the sturdy cover is not enough. I guess I'll report on the outcome if just a 6" mattress does not work well, the back pain would remind me to update this post. :lol:
If you do not hear from me, it'll mean that my 6" mattress and dense fabric cover worked out fine.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 pm

OP827 wrote:Thanks for replies guys. The foam will of course have some durable fabric cover. It is a 4" urethane foam plus 2" memory foam top, perhaps a medium dense mattress from Jysk, queen size that I will cut to make a folding sofa/bed. I think I will go for it and if I feel that any unneeded sagging, I am thinking that I can add some dense foam/mat layer to the bottom of mattress.
https://www.jysk.ca/mattresses/memory-foam-foam-mattresses/paradise-6-memory-twin.html
Will let you know how this goes. Thanks again for your input.

You should be just fine with foam like that! As an upholster, 6 inch medium density foam will not sag between the slats properly placed like shown.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby OP827 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:44 am

Thank you Scott, that is great! The bed base is now done. :thumbsup:
Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion