I think it's time to build another one...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: I think it's time to build another one...

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm thinking 6 weeks at a campground with electric and bathrooms.

If I move into hurricane country, I'll revisit the parameters.

Mike...

GPW wrote:Would be that 6 weeks off grid ? Or where there are “facilities “ ??? That would determine a lot eh? :thinking:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby me&z » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:05 pm

mikeschn wrote:
Ah, the scope! As this project is in it's infancy, and I have almost a year to figure out stuff, things are wide open.
The starting point is:
What can we live in for 6 weeks?
What is really light to tow?
It's gotta have a porta potty.
The wife likes to have a TV
I like to have a place to set up the laptop
And we have to be able to cook inside in case of rain
2 mini schnauzers can navigate the interior without getting hurt

Ok, in your original scope you didn't want the table to be part of the bed. Totally get that. But this latest concept has the bed folding into a couch. So what if you ditch the dinette and add a folding table on each side of the couch? That gives you a place for your laptop or eating. But would be out of the way and not taking up floor space when you aren't actually using it. How often will you use the bed and the dinette at the same time?

I've only flown 1st class once. But I'm trying to remember the details of the tray tables. They rotated out of the arm rest and then folded into position. This is exactly what I have in mind for the someday-maybe build that I still have to talk Z into.

Our goals will be very similar to yours: extended trips but not full time. But I'm firmly of the curtain is good enough persuasion And if it's raining, I ain't cooking. Making coffee or boiling water - definitely need to be able to do that inside. But real cooking (the kind that involves food that smells or contains grease) is not going to happen inside my camper. Got to have a sink for hand washing, teeth brushing, etc.

me
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:47 am

Gotta have a separate table... That's the only way I can use the laptop while she is sleeping.

Mike...

me&z wrote:
mikeschn wrote:

The wife likes to have a TV
I like to have a place to set up the laptop

Ok, in your original scope you didn't want the table to be part of the bed.

me
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 am

Just a little retractable desk and a comfortable folding chair would work for computers ... on the opposite side of the bed.. :thinking:

We’ve learned to brush our teeth outside with a water bottle in hand ... brush , rinse and spit ... :o A nice new cheap plastic bucket makes a workable sink and dishwasher ... You can replace those every time you camp if wanted. ( clean )
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:36 am

I'm still thinking that the 6.5 by 12 WW fits the bill pretty close. Yeah the porta pot in the bedroom smells a little but most camp grounds have dumps just don't lose the cap down the hole like I did once, and the wall between the bed room and galley lets Trudy sleep while I play on the computer early in the morning.
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby starleen2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:57 am

mikeschn wrote:

Mike...

The profile almost looks like Varimans Super TD
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:09 pm

We saw a good sized teardrop shaped commercial trailer and it looked very Cool , ( fiberglass ) , but the inside was so crowded with all kinds of cabinets , electronics , appliances and fixtures , the passageway itself was very narrow ... and me , being “Large Frame” had trouble walking around in a Big TD standy ... that and the traditional table /seating was too small for me , I didn’t fit ... The narrow shower might have been good for washing the dogs ... :roll:
Good planning makes for a comfortable trailer ... I’m still playing around with mine ... but thinking the only way to Really Test it is by taking it to the next level , and actually going on Evac ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:18 pm

GPW wrote:...the only way to Really Test it is by taking it to the next level , and actually going on Evac ...

... or just take it on a nice casual trip. Maybe a family/friend visit or even (gasp) a camping session. (Talk about the kettle calling the pot black! Ha!)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:03 am

". (Talk about the kettle calling the pot black! Ha!) “ ...

There a problem ? Not enough natural disasters ?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Scott,

I'm not trying to build another supertear... It may end up looking like a teardrop, but it won't be as super as Vairman's.

@Glen,

I've been in an RPod and experienced the same thing. Isn't that why we build our own?

@Gary,

Yea, I know the WW fits the bill, except for the A/C circulation problems I had with my design. I'm not sure I'm ready to revisit that design.

@Everyone else,

Need a disaster? Just go downstairs and turn off the fuse box! Instant disaster! ;)

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:41 pm

R Pod .... that’s the one !!! ( Sorry , I couldn’t remember the name ) :oops:

What about getting the inside exactly the way you want and just design the outside around that ... :thinking: No design constraints ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 pm

I thought that's what I was doing! :?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:43 am

Oh , OK !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby alchemist77 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Mike, in your design how will it sit on the frame? I thought of making the front curve 18" forward of the trailer edge. Kitchenette across the front, toilet / shower stall????? Thinking.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
David Campbell
KF7SFU
RaDAR
SOTA
alchemist77
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:35 am

I'm thinking of doing spars all the way around. The bottom 8 spars or so will be flat, and they can sit on the flat trailer. Then I'll put some foam inbetween the spars, and some thin plywood down for the floors. I can do a thicker piece of plywood in the standing areas.

Mike...

alchemist77 wrote:Mike, in your design how will it sit on the frame? I thought of making the front curve 18" forward of the trailer edge. Kitchenette across the front, toilet / shower stall????? Thinking.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies