The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby Fenlason » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:35 am

Laurie asked me If I was putting concrete around my post. :roll: :NC yeah.. so another trip to the lumber yard this morning.

Laurie is getting out early today to help me today.. so I did more figuring and got more lumber to make sure we don't run out of work. We have to go back to her work later for tonight's ride. Another day would have been better in that regard.. but tomorrow might be wetter.. and Thursday I work.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 pm

4 trips to the lumber Yard in 2 days. :o

We made good headway today. First to the lumber yard.. then dug some holes. The second hole.. was tough.. for the longest time I could only go part way. I moved on to the third.. and that went well. I was finally able to get the middle one down where I wanted it… but then I noticed the first hole wasn't in line with the others. :thinking: :NC Fortunetely it was off enough I could just reset and dig another. [and just fill in the other hole.]

I got the posts cut.. and then braced plumb and in-line.. then I hand mixed and "poured" a bag of concrete mix around each pole. I then frame and decked the floor.

Our ride went well. It started in the low 40's.. and dropped down into the 30's. It took me some time to warm up… it was maybe 5-7 miles where we hit some pretty good hills.. that finally warmed me up. With this group.. I tend to go to the front.. pull.. setting the pace.. I try to keep it pretty steady. At times I will have someone take a flyer.. going past me. It doesn't piss me off as much as it used to.. but tonight I did decide to show people.. I don't have to ride that way. We do have a couple people rejoin us. We have a guy that's about 20 years our junior.. and I had to let my legs do the talking a little. :twisted: 8) 8)

We went off the front [I let him go] not long before a big hill. He does seem strong.. so I wasn't sure what would happen. I was hoping he would go too hard at the bottom… and then blow up. I was able to pretty much match him up the beginning… and all I had to do was keep the pressure on.. and he couldn't hold it for the full hill.

A couple of other times.. with me at the back… I was see him getting ready for another attack.. and I would jump right after.. and blow by him. :D

He said we were killing him.. and he loved it. :D

It sounds like our rain tomorrow might hold off until later tomorrow.. so hopefully I can get some work done before.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 pm

It was cool.. mostly grey.. and breezy today. Except for a few minor sprinkles.. the rain held off until maybe 5:30 or so.

I got a bit done on my building today… despite 2 more trips to the lumber yard… :roll:

Back to work for me tomorrow. Interestingly last year I started on this date.

I was sore from my last ride.. so I was taking today off.. but I wanted something for a workout. With the snow gone.. I headed outside for some tire flipping.. sledge hammering.. step ups.. and then a little boxing.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 am

A little rainy this morning, but should be over soon and maybe some sun by 9 or 10 this morning. Work has been a pain so far this year. New guy can not do much more than a 4 to 4.5 hour day and that is just not getting things done in a timely manner. Should be doing at least 6 hour days right not and up that to 8 hour days within the month. I can't see that happening. Having lots of trouble with my knee too. I am doing a lot more trimming and using backpack blower than I would if the old guy was working with me. So, working the knee too much and by then end of the day it is tough just walking most days.

Have to go to inlaws this evening to celebrate father in laws birthday.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:55 am

My first real day back at work [vs helping with deliveries and such] It went good despite only 4 hours of sleep. I was in early… actually there before the manager. I went to work cleaning up, sweeping floors and such. Not long after we opened Dave [the manager] went down to our other store to help out]. I got a lot of repairs done. Around 5:00 or so the manager and owner were back.. While Paul was chatting with riders gathering for last night's ride.. I kept working. [Paul was also in late.. he slept through his alarm] :roll:

Last night Dave wrote me.. asking how the day went for me.. and he asked if there was anything he could do to improve things. Wow! That impressed me. I told him things were pretty good. Although thinking about it after.. our tool set up could be more efficient. I spend too much time looking for what I want. I share the bench with Paul… Not both of us the same day.. but I have it the days I am there.. and he has it otherwise. Some of the "stuff" on the wall could be organized better. There are a few tools that Dave on the other work station steals.. he takes them from our station to leave at his. :fb

Some of that will have to wait until Paul comes back… but it would be nice to improve on that. Some of it would me things less stressful for me. hmm it's not really stressful.. and it's not a big deal.. but it would make things smoother for me and more importantly it would allow me to work more efficiently.

Another cold and wet day is on tap for today. It sounds more showery vs rain all day. I need to do some figuring on my new building and make another lumberyard run.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 pm

It's a raw one out there.. It's 39 and wet.. and a little breeze. I have done some figuring on my new building project.. some outside in the weather.. some inside.

I went to pick up more lumber.. and order some metal. The roof will be metal.. as well as the longer front wall. The 2 end walls will be wood. Not wanting to get my power tools out in the rain.. I went back to work on those light poles. I drilled the holed for the stainless cable, and cleaned them up with some steel wool. I got them mounted and was getting ready to run the cable.. but I couldn't find my ferules.

I decided to run up to Agway to get some more. We also had a couple for some savings on stain. [ Laurie had mentioned it.] So I figured I would pick that up, and decided to look at the flier.. and oooh they had some patio lighting on sale. They are some nice LED string lights.. and not little christmas sized lights. but bigger decorative ones… in a warm white vs the weird cool white stuff. 2 lengths connected will be perfect. I would have been happy enough to just find them.. but to also have them on sale.. just makes all that much sweeter. :)

I was trying to put the stainless cable up.. I put crimps on one side.. and then wondered how I was going to hold the cable in place. [It's just long enough for what I need] put the ferules on.. and then crimp them in place. :thinking: I had decided to wait for Laurie.. for that extra set of hands… but perhaps I can use some vicegrips to hold the cable in place? :thinking:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:34 am

Well, had to deal with rain yesterday morning, so late start. And my new helper has a problem with one of his eyes and could not work and can't work today either. Due to the rain and a late start yesterday we did not get done and now have to work today. Still have light rain and drizzle around which is not good for mowing, but we are going to try to get it done today.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:37 am

We are cold and wet here today. It's above freezing.. but not that much. My hands are pretty cold today. We are trying to do some work on the dog house.

I did try the vice grips on the cable yesterday.. and that worked well. I got the cable up.. and the lights installed. I hooked a temporary cord up to it last night to try… and they look awesome. Of course now I am wondering if the EMT I used is strong enough. I am worried about the wind bending them. I could maybe lower them a little, which would help. I haven't checked but am also wondering if rebar would fit inside.. it should, and that would stiffen them. I would have to drill out the construction adhesive I put in the bottom… but that would be a relatively easy fix.

It was getting cold in here today.. so I built a fire before heading out. I just came back in to check on that.. and to warm my hands. Normally we use a bit of firewood in April.. but I don't think it's been that bad this year.

I am working in framing the end walls in.. I think I just finished that. Next up is strapping the outside wall.. and roof.. for that metal.. it shouldn't take that long.

I have Monday off.. then I have to work straight through and including Saturday.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:33 am

Went out to mow in between rain showers and the first and biggest yard we went too, they said not to mow today because they were afraid of us tearing it up. :roll:

So, when we got back where the other lawns are that we were going to mow today, it was raining again. Enough of that for today! Now I am doing laundry! :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:07 am

Your new helper.. doesn't sound much like he's helping all that much. :NC

It is sort of misty out.. but we have been able to get some work done. The end walls are framed.. the south wall has been "strapped" [with 2x4's] and I am just starting strapping the roof.

We are in for lunch for now.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:49 pm

It was wetter out after lunch.. and at times it was rain.. not heavy.. but bigger drops not just mist. We got the roof all strapped, as well as the rafters cut to size.

I had left a lot of overhang.. while I debated what to do on the outer wall.

We did a quick out door work out… tractor tire flipping… using the sledge hammer.. and some boxing.

We do have a group bike ride tomorrow.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:33 pm

We had a good ride this morning.. I think 17 of us. It was cold and grey when we started. It was supposed to warm up.. and clear up.. it did but not until near the end of the ride. I ended up semi underdressed.. brrrr Laurie and I got asked to lead… hmm actually the others were told that we were leading… but it was the first we had heard of it. :o :roll: 8)

We were the faster of the group.. and knew the route..so we were the natural choice. I did ride a little extra.. at times riding back to the tail end. I got in a little over 33 miles.

I just got rebar inserted into all my light poles. I had to drill out the construction caulking that I had squirted into the bottom end. Of course the upper parts of that hadn't cured / dried.

I have a little to do on the wall above the roof on the dog house. I just want a little break before going back at it.

I am super thirsty.. we soaked in the tub.. and then the ride… so I am low of fluids.

We finally got my new laptop set up.. Laurie got it out.. I guess while I napped on the couch. I think I had dozed off a few minutes. It took a little while to set some of the book marks. BKool, Strava, Garmin, this forum... and all their passwords.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:01 am

Cool and threat of rain and drizzle thismorning. We are doing a landscape job this morning and if the rain holds off, then some mowing this afternoon. We can do the landscaping in light rain or drizzle no problem. Looks like more rain tomorrow then could hit close to 90 degrees by the end of the week.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:05 am

Sun and 30's this morning. We are supposed to be warmer this week.. but it sounds like a mostly rainy week. I think I am going to build a stand for my post hole digger today. Building something to hang it from will make hooking and unhooking it up much easier.. and while it's on the tractor. Then perhaps some plastering on my porch.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Overall it's been a good day [so far[ weather wise and project wise. It did warm nicely.. although I haven't checked to where. We did have some high clouds at times..

I got my Post Hole Digger stand made. I had to prune some spruce and pine branches.. to put it in. I like the way it came out, and I think it will work well. I put some flashing tape on the corners of the dog house.. 2 of them is where metal siding will abut wood… the other wood to wood. The main siding will be shiplapped, and stained before it's installed.. so those joints should be pretty good. but in the corners.. I won't have the laps. Although I just realized.. and corner trim molding over that joint would protect it pretty well.

I did some plastering.. but not the finish plastering I was hoping to do. I ended up with some other work to do before the finish. I had some cracks to "fix" and other smoothing out to do. I will have a little bit more to do before the finish work.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic