6x12 Interstate cargo trailer conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x12 Interstate cargo trailer conversion

Postby rxberg » Fri May 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
We're about 200 miles into the trip and so far so good. If I get some time/service I'll try to post a couple of "in use" pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jon (& Lynne)

Build Thread

rxberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Fri May 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Looking forward to the pics. Safe travels and have fun!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rxberg » Mon May 15, 2017 9:35 pm

The trailer earned its first sticker yesterday..

Jon (& Lynne)

Build Thread

rxberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Mon May 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Nice I want one too- not the easy way either

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue May 16, 2017 6:12 am

Nice!
Just checked the forecast, looks pretty good thru Sunday.
A little cool around Jackson Hole, 50s hi 20s low 50-70% rain snow. Nothing major.
West Yellowstone clear for weekend 50/30
Bucking Horse Sale starts Thursday, Miles City Mt.
Yee Haw! Let er' Buck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby rxberg » Sun May 28, 2017 11:54 am

We had a great trip, and the trailer and Treg were pretty awesome! Here's some pics...

Stopped for some pictures as we entered
The Grand Teton NP

Our camp setup

Lynne making dinner

Enjoying a delicious dinner while it snowed outside

Driving through The Badlands

Final sticker collection from this trip

And one of my favorite moments: a beer with a view

Jon (& Lynne)

Build Thread

rxberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Sun May 28, 2017 5:50 pm

rxberg, Howdy;

Thanks for the pix! You've done a great job for the short time you 've had it.
Scenery is drop dead beautiful, reminds me I need to get back up North sometime soon.
Just need to go 1 mile East to hop on I-25 then follow it North to I-90 then a
Left to get me to some good fishin' .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby crumvoc » Sun May 28, 2017 9:04 pm

You guys did an awesome job on that trailer! I've planned, built, re-planned, unbuilt, rebuilt, re-planned, re-unbuilt, re-re-built mine so many times I can barely remember where I started. Very good planning and execution on your trailer. I like your rear galley, which I also have (in the most recent iteration), but yours is definitely a couple steps above mine in style and quality. Nice work! :applause:

My current rear galley setup for your amusement... With a lightweight cantilevered roof and privacy curtain for showering... With this set up, I can leave the galley 'open" most of the time, rain or shine (mostly rain). It is separate from the interior of the trailer and is somewhat of a storage shed/attic/garage. I have a window on the rear wall for additional airflow/light in the trailer.

Here's a pano of the trailer interior.
Living in the high-desert.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby Bearbait in NM » Mon May 29, 2017 10:35 am

Great pictures, and glad you had such a fine time. Yup, cooking by the glow of the Buddy Heater. Ain't life grand. I am not quite as far west or north of most of your stops, but close enough to know that you picked an unusually "challenging" spring, for such an adventure.

Are you two panning for your next great adventure, or next set of mods? Or maybe both ;)

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gonefishin » Mon May 29, 2017 11:45 am

I like what you did with the rear galley too. Whole trailer looks like a comfortable and functional set-up. :thumbsup: Thanks for the tour.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby rxberg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:17 pm

hankaye wrote:rxberg, Howdy;

Thanks for the pix! You've done a great job for the short time you 've had it.
Scenery is drop dead beautiful, reminds me I need to get back up North sometime soon.
Just need to go 1 mile East to hop on I-25 then follow it North to I-90 then a
Left to get me to some good fishin' .

hank

Thanks! We loved the scenery- especially the Tetons. I think we could turn that into a trip on its own and spend a week or two there. Lynne definitely stipulated that our next trip has to include fishing, so I'm sure we'll work some of that in next time too
Jon (& Lynne)

Build Thread

rxberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby rxberg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:24 pm

crumvoc wrote:You guys did an awesome job on that trailer! I've planned, built, re-planned, unbuilt, rebuilt, re-planned, re-unbuilt, re-re-built mine so many times I can barely remember where I started. Very good planning and execution on your trailer. I like your rear galley, which I also have (in the most recent iteration), but yours is definitely a couple steps above mine in style and quality. Nice work! :applause:

My current rear galley setup for your amusement... With a lightweight cantilevered roof and privacy curtain for showering... With this set up, I can leave the galley 'open" most of the time, rain or shine (mostly rain). It is separate from the interior of the trailer and is somewhat of a storage shed/attic/garage. I have a window on the rear wall for additional airflow/light in the trailer.

Here's a pano of the trailer interior.

Thanks! I really like your setup - you did a lot with the space. The rear bulkhead is really nice with the window... That was my original plan, but Lynne wanted to be able to use the kitchen from the inside, so that changed things a little.

There's definitely a rear awning in the plans at some point (probably pvc with a tarp), but ours is primarily set up to be closed. I'm also going to try to work on a way to get the galley screened to some degree so we can use it without the flying 6-legged visitors, but that part wasn't in our "must get done" list for the trip since it was going to be so cold.

I'm also thinking of a good way to put in an outdoor shower, but I'm thinking that setup will be on the side of the trailer somewhere and probably will consist of a hoop with a shower curtain that sets in a bracket. I haven't swung that by the Mrs yet, so I'm sure it'll end up different.
Jon (& Lynne)

Build Thread

rxberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby rxberg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Bearbait in NM wrote:Great pictures, and glad you had such a fine time. Yup, cooking by the glow of the Buddy Heater. Ain't life grand. I am not quite as far west or north of most of your stops, but close enough to know that you picked an unusually "challenging" spring, for such an adventure.

Are you two panning for your next great adventure, or next set of mods? Or maybe both ;)

Craig

It was certainly a little cold and we saw much more snow than we would have in Missouri mid-May, but all-in-all it went pretty smoothly. I'm just happy we missed the Yellowstone road/south entrance closure by a few hours. We were actually on our way around to the west entrance and decided to check once more at the gas station and they had just opened it up.

We talked about what we would change if we could do it over again, and couldn't really come up with much. I'll probably skip the 5lb propane tank and just use the little ones on the Buddy, but other than that... Next up is definitely air conditioning for our Missouri summer camping trips. We tried the portable route with little success but I think we're going to try a setup like shadow catcher's window a/c hack with the plenum if I ever get some time off work.
Jon (& Lynne)

Build Thread

rxberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bearbait in NM » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Well, It's hotter than Hades out west now. I have been running tests in mine, and am only really seeing about 8 degrees above ambient temps with all of the doors closed, and the sun bearing down. The white body and light roof seem to be doing exactly as I had hoped.

Glad to hear that you do not need too many changes. I picked up one of the self-filling propane fittings for filling 1 pounders, and it seems to work well. I will probably always have one 20 with my trailer, but it will be nice to be able to fill a few 1 pounders as needed for cooking and perhaps the Buddy. I was initially kind of fearful of the process that folks show going through, like freezing, weighing etc. I found that if you do not need those last few ounces of fill, it is quite easy to get a 1 pounder pretty close to full.

Good luck with the AC. That is one hurdle I should not need to jump.

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Postby crumvoc » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:59 pm

[quote="Bearbait in NM"Glad to hear that you do not need too many changes. I picked up one of the self-filling propane fittings for filling 1 pounders, and it seems to work well. I will probably always have one 20 with my trailer, but it will be nice to be able to fill a few 1 pounders as needed for cooking and perhaps the Buddy. I was initially kind of fearful of the process that folks show going through, like freezing, weighing etc. I found that if you do not need those last few ounces of fill, it is quite easy to get a 1 pounder pretty close to full.

Good luck with the AC. That is one hurdle I should not need to jump. Craig[/quote]

I've had my best luck if I put the 1# bottles in the freezer for a couple of hours prior to making the transfer. Works for me..
Living in the high-desert.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions