7x16x6.5 Featherlite Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x16x6.5 Featherlite Build

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:43 pm

5 white ceiling vent rear (480x640).jpg
5 white ceiling vent rear (480x640).jpg (149.67 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
4 white ceiling vent V (480x640).jpg
The vent holes I cut in the insulation turned out pretty good. However, the garnish cover is 1 inch short so you can see the first layer of insulation adjacent to the roof. I am wondering if minwax polycrilic would work to seal the exposed foam. Can someone give me their opinion about this or suggest another readily available product??
4 white ceiling vent V (480x640).jpg (151.79 KiB) Viewed 4303 times

Next, I will start insulating the sidewalls.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jr9744 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:47 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:Still waiting for the weather to clear up so I can paint the roof with Henry 587.

In the meantime, I installed a first layer of 1” polyiso insulation board in the ceiling. The panels I cut fit very tight between the 1” roof bows. Consequently, the insulation board is flush with the roof bows.

I did not install the insulation with any air gap between the insulation and the roof skin My reasoning is that:

1. the dead air space only has an R value of R1 and the insulation is about R6,

2. Steel roofed pole barns around here are all built with no air gap,

3. If there is any condensation, there is nowhere for the moisture to escape (because the cavity is sealed tight),

4. I do not see how any moisture laden air can get into the cavity (because the cavity is sealed tight).

5. The polyiso is rated for 600 degrees F.

I installed the foil face side of the foam board against the roof skin but don't think it really matters, since there is no radiant barrier effect without at least a 3/4" air gap. Also, maybe the foil facing will hold up better laying against the hot roof than the plastic coating on the other side of the board.

I plan on installing 3/4" furring running lengthwise on the ceiling, to accommodate another 3/4" layer of polyiso, followed by another 1" layer of polyiso, for a total of 2 3/4" of insulation.
Insulation Ceiling 1 (640x480).jpg

One technique i used to cut the panels was to measure the width between the roof bows in five different places: one at each side, one in the middle and two between the previous measurements. Then I transposed those dimensions onto the foam board with a long straight edge and a pencil. Ink pen would not work on the plastic side and the wet ink just smeared if touched.

Your the first person I've seen use 3 layers of insulation on the roof. Very interesting. I saw your trailer is 6.5 feet high, are you concerned at all about the head room? Are you insulating the floor as well?

Btw, insulation looks very nicely done. I'm going to try your jigsaw technique to cut the panels.
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Thank you, for the reply.

The inside height is now 6 ft 5 1/2 inches at the peak and 6 ft 4 1/2 inches at the walls (the roof is bowed 1 inch). So, I only lost 1 3/4 inch of headroom.

If elsewhere I posted that the factory height was 6 ft 5 inches, I was either mistaken or rounding.

I will likely put down 2" of foam on the floor in the front half of the trailer and install a removable partition to partition off the front half of the trailer from the rear half where my motorcycle sets. Not sure about the rear. My trailer is is rigged to haul three Harley dressers at the same time. Also, I want the ability to use the trailer to haul all manner of cargo. Consequently, improvements to the floor and walls need to accommodate these alternate uses.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:25 am

BAM! Roof Insulation, knocked out. Ceiling, re installed. Nicely done, featherlite.
We didn't have no fancy tent poles growing up. Just had to use a couple tuba fours nailed together in the shape of a "Tee"
We called em' deadmen. Pretty good helpers though.
So, three bagger Harleys'? Now you are just showin' off. No man in the world can ride 3 Harleys. Cept' this guy.
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=4156&image_id=148560&sk=t&sd=d&st=0

So, let's recap.
New Featherlite trailer, 3 full dress Harleys, house the country....Nope. You can't be married with children.
1. Not planning for AC in trailer. (or house?)
2. Didn't mention installing bathroom as first order of business.
Naw, not married.

Well, How'd I do? Been taken lessons from my cousin, Dick McTracy.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:58 am

McDave wrote:
So, let's recap.
New Featherlite trailer, 3 full dress Harleys, house the country....Nope. You can't be married with children.
Naw, not married.

McDave

McDave,

Your post is SCARY accurate … with one exception. A group of us take periodic trips together and not everybody has a trailer. So, my trailer can be used to haul two of their bikes. There were eleven of us with five trailers on our last trip to Daytona Bike Week.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:00 am

I still need to paint the roof with Henry’s 587, whenever weather permits. However, a while back, mrwall1 said that he acid etched and primed his roof before applying some kind of roof coating. He believes that this is very important, at least with the product he was using.
see viewtopic.php?f=42&t=67734&p=1205915&hilit=etch#p1205915

The Henry’s 587 literature merely says to wash before application. Am I correct to assume that the Henry’s 587 will adhere ok with just washing?
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:45 am

Your trailer is new and shiny, but there is a layer of oxidation or "white rust" up there. I'm sure your roof is aluminium so it needs some light prep, just like painting a car etc. A mild acid (white vinegar water solution) and light scotchbright scuffing will be plenty to provide some grip for the paint. You don't need to use any elbow grease.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby jr9744 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:42 pm

McDave wrote:BAM! Roof Insulation, knocked out. Ceiling, re installed. Nicely done, featherlite.
We didn't have no fancy tent poles growing up. Just had to use a couple tuba fours nailed together in the shape of a "Tee"
We called em' deadmen. Pretty good helpers though.
So, three bagger Harleys'? Now you are just showin' off. No man in the world can ride 3 Harleys. Cept' this guy.
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=4156&image_id=148560&sk=t&sd=d&st=0

So, let's recap.
Naw, not married.

McDave

Too funny... :lol:
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:43 pm

McDave wrote:Your trailer is new and shiny, but there is a layer of oxidation or "white rust" up there. I'm sure your roof is aluminium so it needs some light prep, just like painting a car etc. A mild acid (white vinegar water solution) and light scotchbright scuffing will be plenty to provide some grip for the paint. You don't need to use any elbow grease.

McDave

Thank you for the vinegar and water tip.

Yes, my roof is aluminum.

I presume that the solution will not harm the paint on the sidewalls as long as I rinse the solution off the painted sidewalls with water immediately after cleaning the roof.

The Henry's spec sheet says to wash with TPS. So, when I bought the Henry's, I also bought a box of TPS. However, your post prompted me to do some quick research. I just read an article that says TPS is so heavy duty that it will damage the paint. I have never used TPS and now know not to use this product on my trailer. If you would not have prompted me, I would have used it. You probably saved me untold grief.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:24 pm

featherliteCT1, Howdy;

You could use some 2" wide Blue Painter's tape and some of this stuff,
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-10-ft-x- ... /204711636
to protect your CT from harm from the TPS and leave it on so any drips or spills
won't create problems. Just a thought.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:21 am

Are we talking about tri sodium phosphate? TSP? Ya, that's fairly aggressive stuff. I really didn't know you could still buy Phosphates. In fact several years ago the phosphates were mandatorily removed from all dishwasher and laundry soaps and tap water treatment facilities. It was used to help remove mineral and alkali from tap water. It's been years since I've use it, but I remember warnings on the package about it damaging paints, chrome, bare metal and glass. I read the tech sheet and I don't see TSP. The line that applies to your situation is this: "**No primer needed on new roofs or roofs in excellent condition. Older roofs in fair condition may need primer."
Here is a pdf for the tech sheet.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfIma ... 6b93bf.pdf

You're gonna do fine. just relax and enjoy the process. It's as much fun as watching paint dry.
That metal should be nearly pristine up there. The trailer can't even be a month old.
I would avoid the TSP, you don't need anything aggressive for new metal.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:55 am

hankaye wrote:featherliteCT1, Howdy;

You could use some 2" wide Blue Painter's tape and some of this stuff,
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-10-ft-x- ... /204711636
to protect your CT from harm from the TPS and leave it on so any drips or spills
won't create problems. Just a thought.

hank

Thank you for the feedback, I need all the brainstorming help I can get.
I am now thinking that I will not use TSP as it is too aggressive.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:02 am

McDave wrote:
That metal should be nearly pristine up there. The trailer can't even be a month old.
I would avoid the TSP, you don't need anything aggressive for new metal.

McDave

McDave,

Yes, I meant “TSP” not “TPS” (my dyslexia). Yes, I see that the Home Depot data sheet (dated 5-7-15) says nothing about TSP. However,, the Henry data sheet from the Henry web page (dated 4-6-17) does say wash with TSP, per below:

HENRY 587 100% ACRYLIC DURA-BRITE™ WHITE ELASTOMERIC ROOF COATING
Application
CLEAN: Before coating the roof, use a pressure washer or high pressure nozzle and water hose to wash the roof with a non-filming detergent, such as TSP or TSP substitute. http://us.henry.com/roofing/reflective- ... of-coating

In any event, I will definitely not be washing with TSP.

Yes, the trailer is only 3 months old.

Do you think I should wash with vinegar solution or not? I would prefer not so as to avoid the additional effort but if there is any doubt, I will do so.

Again, thank you for all your help. I REALLY appreciate it!

Ron
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

7x16x6.5 Featherlite Build

Postby Padilen » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

Is your TSP a liquid or a powder? I have a powder that you mix with different ratios of water for different jobs.
But I bought white vinegar for cleaning my roof. I was told years ago it was best for cleaning/prep.
I may have to wait till TAZ is back inside for winter to do my roof. I live in a forest and to much is falling from the trees. Maple seeds, now then it will be popular seeds (fuzz) soon followed by acorns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:28 am

Well, you do want a clean surface to paint, so your gonna have to wash it anyways. Get a bucket and maybe 25% white vinegar/water, and maybe a scrub brush and just give it the once over. Rinse the roof and the whole trailer down. Let that baby dry while you get your poop in a group for the painting op. If you feel like you need to mask off, this would be the time. Stir up that paint, go to the liquor cabinet and get the bottle marked "jack Daniels", Put 2 oz. of Jack into a large glass of ice, add lemonade. ...and get to work.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions