7x16 Arizona toy hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x16 Arizona toy hauler

Postby faust_21 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:49 pm

flboy wrote:
faust_21 wrote:Well I got the etrack down (only screwed into sheeting) but went to hd and got some self tappers to finish it and picked up some wheel bonnets. I'm still trying to get through Dons build thread. Was all set to scrap my bed idea and copy yours and then I got to the part where it didn't work so well. Still reading through, but how did it end up working out? That'll be all for the weekend, but maybe during the 4 day weekend next week I can get some more done. Think I'm gonna start by insulting the front half. I'm not doing everything all at once so I'll have to take walls down later to add window... lots of work ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have went back and forth on how and if to complete the electric part of my bed lift. I never finished the electric part. I actually have pins for three positions (heights) and can move it up or down with some help. The problem with 4 rails (1 in each corner) and such tight trolleys as I have is binding. All 4 corners need to move evenly at the same time which requires the electric winch and the complexity of cables and pulleys to move it by yourself. It would just take some pulleys and cables to complete, but I have decided to not install since the need to move the bed up and down is rare and would only happen if my wife is with me (she likes the bed lower).

If I wanted to move the bed up or down with the gas shock assist by myself(I have gas struts installed, so moving is easy with two people to move it evenly), I'd just need to remove the two back trolleys so the bed front could move and then the back. That is how they do it in the factory built trailers that do not use the expensive Happijack systems. That would be easiest for me to do and probably what I'd do before putting on the pulleys and winch if I find myself wanting to move the bed up and down a lot when traveling solo. Right now, I have not had the need.

At the end of the day, I figured my bed can stay stationary where it is since I have a 7.5 ft. high ceiling and still get my Motorcycles in and out and use the space below for lounging and etc.. If I want to adjust bed height for whatever reason, I can with some help in about a minute.

My bed stays here (pic below) all the time for now. It seems to be a good height (you can see my chair below where I sit and watch TV when the bikes are out). I am still glad I have the trolleys installed... It does give me options later if I change my mind or my needs change).

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately with pregnant wife it has to be low and with our sxs it has to go to ceiling... I never got a good understanding of how you supported your bed as the strut was just guide rails. My thought was just self tap the strut into 4 of the vertical posts and call it good. Any thoughts why this wouldn't work? Thanks again!

faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:58 pm

The struts are screwed into the plywood. There are several countersunk heavy wood screws per strut . I did not put screws into the metal studs because they did not line up where needed. The trolleys rest on pins in the struts which are bolted into dual 2*4 rails that carry the weight of the bed. The way the forces work on the struts, the screws would no pull out. It is a downward force that is more about the shear strength of the screws and compression of the wood. All the weight is distributed on a total of 28 screws. Not going anywhere.

If you screw your struts into the metal studs.... all the better. It just didn't work for me given the width of the bed and the trolleys on the outer edges and where everything had to fall in with the cabinets, etc.

Congratulations of the baby coming. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Last edited by flboy on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:04 pm

If you have the walls and or cabinets set up right. A folding bed with a piano hinge center works well for one.
The garage door springs are doable for one. After building another that I felt was improved over mine. I made some changes. Those changes on my bed, caused me some difficulty. So I bought a cargo bar to use as another set of hands. I can use it to jack up and hold one side of the bed. While I place the holding pins.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby faust_21 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:09 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Picked up some supplies tonight and took a look at some paneling. Hopefully over the long weekend I can get the vent fan in and a/c support as well as insulate the ceiling and brace with furring strips. Also have to remount floor etrack. Forecast saying about 110 so who knows what will happen. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Postby faust_21 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:37 pm

First real weekend of work in on the trailer and thanks to some help I got the etrack securely mounted to the floor, supports for window and ac installed, vent installed, insulation up in roof and furring strips up! ImageImageImageImage

faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Postby pk4013 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Good looking trailer. Take a look at this bed build, it might give you some ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPhlUivq_lk
pk4013
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Man! You gotta get something white on that roof before somebody splodes!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZJ74WU/re ... 2991546793

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby faust_21 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:40 pm

McDave wrote:Man! You gotta get something white on that roof before somebody splodes!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZJ74WU/re ... 2991546793

McDave

That's the plan! Gotta decide how I wanna proceed with build thought I prolly wanna put ac on then coat the heck out of everything and use that as sealant over vent screws ect rather than caulking. Any thoughts?

faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Yep, that's what I did. had the AC, vent fan and black tank vent all installed, then cleaned it and washed down with vinegar/water and rinsed. Let it dry overnight and knocked it out in AM before it got too hot.

Get some Dicor lap sealant to cover all the screws and flanges. I used butyl tape between all flanges and roof, then covered with lap sealant, then painted the roof. No leaks so far. The henry's did help a bunch for me, but you'll still need a AC, Probably year round in the desert.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby faust_21 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:27 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage

Some updated pics. If things go as planned we will be camping it it soon. Gonna insulate the front half and get cabinets and shower mounted! I think we finally found a layout that meets all our requirements and is easier to complete. With this I can use store bought cabinets to complete design and save time. We will end up with some rework later down the road when we finish walls ect, but we wanna get using it so we can see if we wanna adjust design.

faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Postby faust_21 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:05 pm

McDave wrote:Yep, that's what I did. had the AC, vent fan and black tank vent all installed, then cleaned it and washed down with vinegar/water and rinsed. Let it dry overnight and knocked it out in AM before it got too hot.

Get some Dicor lap sealant to cover all the screws and flanges. I used butyl tape between all flanges and roof, then covered with lap sealant, then painted the roof. No leaks so far. The henry's did help a bunch for me, but you'll still need a AC, Probably year round in the desert.

McDave

Thanks for the advice! I will have to get the lap sealant put on this weekend to prevent leaks. I used the butyl tape already, but won't have the Henry's on for a while.

faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:49 pm

Check the label, I thought it said 1gal would cover 100sq ft double coat, but now I read 2gal 100ft double coat.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:27 pm

I completely forgot to do that when I was out in pole barn.
Good to k ow I didn't waste the money on the second gallon.
Thanks

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby faust_21 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:19 pm

ImageImageImage

Scored some cabinets today. Found a store that sells used cabinets. $40 for bases and $20 for wall units of any sizes. Will be going back for closet doors as they have doors for $15.

faust_21
Teardrop Builder

7x16 Arizona toy hauler

Postby faust_21 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:06 am

So today after 13 hours at the ol salt mine I came home and drug my poor wife (5 months pregnant) out in the heat to work on the trailer and finish insulating the front so I can get the shower/kitchen going and start using it and make sure it's even gonna work with our truck ect. At 11pm we finally finished and in all honesty I don't like either layout. Got the shower cheap, but it's takes up valuable real estate and I'm not sure which way to take it. Guess now that it's insulated I can physically move things around and play with layout! Only time will tell. On a happier note our first solar panel and cc came in today so with a 12vdc fuse block and old deep cell battery I can at least set up temporary power to the beast! Happy building all!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage Image
faust_21
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions