Cold Brewed coffee

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Cold Brewed coffee

Postby working on it » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:44 am

Cosmo wrote:...I was a lifelong coffee drinker since I was a child. About a decade ago my coffee habit got so excessive and I endured a month long headache to kick the habit. I used green tea to help get the monkey off my back. Once I was clean I did eventually replace coffee with green tea.

I found the caffeine buzz from green tea did not jangle my nerves as much as hot brewed coffee. I must be sensitive to some compound in hot brew coffee that makes me more jittery than an equivalent amount of green tea. I found the same to be true with cold brew coffee – a less jangled caffeine experience (based on one cup, more research is needed).

I agree with the prior posts. The cold brew coffee was less acrid than hot brew. To me it falls between tea and hot brew coffee. It tasted slightly sweet (I added no sugar or cream). It was pretty refreshing and I could indeed taste many more flavors in the coffee without the acids.

It’s not for everyone and there is the lack of "on demand" brewing, lack of a hot drink etc. I have something new to experiment with.

Thanks for the information

=Cosmo
I was a coffee addict in the 1970's. I was burning the candle on both ends (sometimes in the middle, too!), going to college full-time and working full-time and a half, commuting hundreds of miles a week.. Not to mention extracurricular activities. I never slept. I depended on coffee, sometimes laced with Vivarin (I always carried those caffeine pills with me), to maintain my frenetic pace. Or to counteract the extracurricular activity. I had burnt the inside of my mouth once, in 1969 on a pizza fresh out of the oven, so badly it affected my tolerance for hot foods, so I couldn't drink "hot" coffee (or really hot foods either), to this day. So, I resorted to hot tap water & instant YUBAN coffee. I would consume up to two jars a day, mixing it double strength. Around the late 70's, I was getting severe stomach aches from acidic caffeine overdoses, and I was using lots of sugar to offset the caffeine bitterness; I just dropped coffee (and the Vivarin pills) completely, and never drank coffee again. I relied on soft drinks and iced tea (sweet tea, that I grew up on) for my caffeine, thereafter. Now, in my 60's, I drink a gallon of sweet tea every day (from my pitcher, much like Uncle SI Robertson, on TV), and the occasional Diet Pepsi or Coke. All this talk about Cold Brewed coffee makes me want to experiment with it, also. If the taste is not as acrid as hot coffee, I might like some, now and then. I loved the aroma of coffee, back then, and still find myself enjoying the smell of my wife's morning brew.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:10 pm

.....there is the lack of "on demand" brewing

That is what I like about the way I make a concentrate, store it in the fridge, and then make a cup of drinking strength when I want. I find that requires a more minimal degree of planning ahead. I have 16 oz of concentrate in the fridge right now which will see me through a couple of days the way I mix 1:3. So tomorrow I'll start a batch that will be ready Sunday. :) Our Whole Foods has at least 6 different brands of "black cold brew and probably a dozen or more of the flavors and milk added types. many with almond milk in place of dairy milk. But I am a plain, no sugar, no anything added type ofcoffee lover. I favor a Sumatran bean.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:04 pm

New York Times article
How Cold Brew Changed the Coffee Business

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/dini ... .html?_r=0

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Tried it. Liked the flavor. You end up with a bunch of spent grounds to spread in your garden.

Don't do it any more. It was a challenge getting the coffee hot enough. I just liked my Aeropress coffee better, especially for camping with no microwave.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: Cold Brewed coffee<<better than hot brew, but...

Postby working on it » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:14 pm

working on it wrote:
Cosmo wrote:...I was a lifelong coffee drinker since I was a child. About a decade ago my coffee habit got so excessive and I endured a month long headache to kick the habit. I used green tea to help get the monkey off my back. Once I was clean I did eventually replace coffee with green tea.

I found the caffeine buzz from green tea did not jangle my nerves as much as hot brewed coffee. I must be sensitive to some compound in hot brew coffee that makes me more jittery than an equivalent amount of green tea. I found the same to be true with cold brew coffee – a less jangled caffeine experience (based on one cup, more research is needed).

I agree with the prior posts. The cold brew coffee was less acrid than hot brew. To me it falls between tea and hot brew coffee. It tasted slightly sweet (I added no sugar or cream). It was pretty refreshing and I could indeed taste many more flavors in the coffee without the acids.

It’s not for everyone and there is the lack of "on demand" brewing, lack of a hot drink etc. I have something new to experiment with.

Thanks for the information

=Cosmo
I was a coffee addict in the 1970's. I was burning the candle on both ends (sometimes in the middle, too!), going to college full-time and working full-time and a half, commuting hundreds of miles a week.. Not to mention extracurricular activities. I never slept. I depended on coffee, sometimes laced with Vivarin (I always carried those caffeine pills with me), to maintain my frenetic pace. Or to counteract the extracurricular activity. I had burnt the inside of my mouth once, in 1969 on a pizza fresh out of the oven, so badly it affected my tolerance for hot foods, so I couldn't drink "hot" coffee (or really hot foods either), to this day. So, I resorted to hot tap water & instant YUBAN coffee. I would consume up to two jars a day, mixing it double strength. Around the late 70's, I was getting severe stomach aches from acidic caffeine overdoses, and I was using lots of sugar to offset the caffeine bitterness; I just dropped coffee (and the Vivarin pills) completely, and never drank coffee again. I relied on soft drinks and iced tea (sweet tea, that I grew up on) for my caffeine, thereafter. Now, in my 60's, I drink a gallon of sweet tea every day (from my pitcher, much like Uncle SI Robertson, on TV), and the occasional Diet Pepsi or Coke. All this talk about Cold Brewed coffee makes me want to experiment with it, also. If the taste is not as acrid as hot coffee, I might like some, now and then. I loved the aroma of coffee, back then, and still find myself enjoying the smell of my wife's morning brew.
  • After my last camping trip, noticing that most of the campers had coffee around, or other beverages that I gave up long ago, I once again felt the "odd man out", while partaking only my pre-mixed peach sweet tea. Whether the weather was hot or cold, I rely on that one drink, with plain water as a poor substitute, while other campers varied their beverages, with coffee always nearby. So, I finally had my wife buy some pre-packaged cold brew, from Sam's Club. Time to try coffee again, after 40 years.
  • I have tried a cup of the "100% Arabica, medium grind, steeped 18 hours" , three times so far (she bought me three quarts, for the test), so I'll be able to sample it many days. But, always cold. I really can't drink hot beverages, ever since I bit into a molten cheese pizza in '67 or '68...lukewarm works better for me. It was the only variation offered, so I may try flavor additives, if I can't get with the program. It doesn't have the bitter aftertaste I remembered, so cold-brewed seems to be my best way back to coffee drinking.
  • Test 1)straight black+cold, 2)straight black+lukewarm, 3)with sugar+cold...many possible variations to follow. After only three tests, #3 is the leader, but I'll be frank, peach sweet tea still beats it out. But, I do agree that cold-brewed coffee is my best hope to retrain my taste buds (and metabolism?) to accept the occasional coffee offered to me, so I can be among the coffee-drinking world again; soon, I may be able to accept coffee offered me at campsites or homes (no one has peach sweet tea, go figure!), and having some around my camp to offer others as well might be regarded as a friendly gesture, from an old codger like me. It's a good new idea; sorta like craft beers, which came about too late for me to sample...that boat sailed a long time ago.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion