Porch light opinion

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Porch light opinion

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:57 pm

I did search and found another thread about placement of a porch light, but what I'm wondering now is whether it's really worth it.

I"ve read discussion about it attracting bugs and then you open the door and in they go.
I've seen discussion about having the switch on the inside so you can turn it on to see a noise outside (good idea) or to turn it on BEFORE you step out, etc.

I do see it being helpful is you have a dressing room and portipotty or such.

SO ------ for you that have the porch lights, regardless of placement , what have you found out? Do you really use them very much?
Do you have a problem with bugs? I absolute do NOT like the idea of those bugs /moths getting inside the cabin when the door is open. Even some amber lights still attract bugs I think.

My other idea is just to put rope lights out around the ground like the edge of the actual "porch" . I saw an amber color set of these and it gave a good amount of light if you were steping out at night, etc.

Might that also discourage raccoons???

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby BrwBier » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:09 pm

I also thought about rope lighting. I was going to put it under the edge of the trailer. I now an considering a set of inexpensive solar lights, you know $15 for a set of six. If that doesnt work I can always try the rope light.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:04 pm

I like the mood the porch lights create and that I don't have to fire up the coleman lantern. Bugs or no bugs a outside light can be necessary at times and for only 10 bucks each why not. :icedtea: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:21 pm

Julie,

We have porch lights on both sides of our tear. We don't really use them at night for area light, I like a propane light better just because that's what I've always camped with. But we have used them to light up deer, dogs and coyotes. They're really nice for those things that go bump in the night.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:52 pm

Julie....I agree with Bruce...lots better to see what you are getting into in the middle of the night rather than running into it....ie...bears, but it might be a "herd" of Raccoons...I have 2 on each tear...now bears might not be a problem for where you are, they are here,...but in the middle of the night, and you hear something going on outside, don't you turn on the porch light before you go outside? One night up here, I couldn't figure out why the dog was flipping out...got up, opened the door on the tent trailer, without a porchlight, and hit a black bear in the butt with the door...I felt really safe with the canvas on the tent trailer...right.... :worship: Mine are switched from the inside...and if you don't have a light illuminated on the interior when you open the door with the porchlight on..bugs typically won't flock in... :thinking: and I use mine every night when camping...don't leave them on...but use them... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:57 am

Julie,

I am placing my porch lights up high and as far toward the back and away from the door as possible. I am using some 1/2 moon bronze landscaping lights (Lowes, They have black also.). I will angle it toward the door. The light casing cups so it directs the light is a broad fan pattern. In that location, the bugs might be attracted to the light, but they are away from the door and I still get light. I'm putting my switch inside.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:31 am

I haven't camped yet, so I haven't used my porch lite. I have an amber lense on mine to try to keep bug attraction down. I placed it about level with the top of the door and to the left side. I also placed a dual wall switch on the wall by the door for the porch lite and the overhead lite.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chip » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:47 am

Jewels,, I put pourch light on my first one and very seldom used it,,, this time I mounted a light under the trailer out of the way that shines on the ground so I can find my sandles when I got to do the potty run,, and the switch is on the inside,, but a flashlight would do the same thing,,,

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:57 am

BrwBier wrote:I also thought about rope lighting. I was going to put it under the edge of the trailer. I now an considering a set of inexpensive solar lights, you know $15 for a set of six. Brwbier

I use two solar lights (one on each side) to provide a little light around the trailer. They don't do much at home, but they work fine at the camp site. I usually take one of the batteries out when I put them away since they have a charge built up from the morning light.
More lights would even be better. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Namsayn » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:19 am

Yup, use them a lot.
Also helps make for a better evening photo of the trailer. Plus it sort of tells neighboring campers you are still up and about when its on and NOT when its off. Sort of like Motel 6 :thumbsup:
Namsayn
Silver Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:10 am

Julie,

I have porch lights too for all the reasons everyone else said. Other thing is when you are away from camp and coming back at night, it is really nice to be able to see your trailer and all that is close by. Helps to find the door lock too. I have very low wattage bulbs in my porch lights, and while on the subject, be careful picking out bulbs for all 12 volt plastic fixtures, you can easily buy light bulbs that are high enough wattage to melt the plastic housings and covers.

Happy 4th of July ! :peace:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:10 am

Julie--

We don't have a porch light. There have been times when coming back from the bathroom it is difficult to determine which campsite to enter. :? :oops:
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Joseph » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:44 am

Two words - tiki torches! :thumbsup:

Joseph

Thank God the tiki bar is open
Thank God the tiki torch still shines.
Come on in and open up your mind.
-John Hiatt
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:31 am

doug hodder wrote:<snip> opened the door on the tent trailer, without a porchlight, and hit a black bear in the butt with the door...<snip>

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure it wasn't very funny at the time but I sure got a chuckle out of it. Who was more scared, you or the bear? Did you get anymore sleep that night?
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:38 pm

Joseph wrote:Two words - tiki torches! :thumbsup:

Joseph

Thank God the tiki torch still shines.
Come on in and open up your mind.
-John Hiatt

I just bought a pair of propane powered tiki torches. I always liked how they look at a campsite but never wanted to haul them around because of the smell and spill potential. I saw these and had to have them. They are pretty spendy as far as tiki torches go, but not having to worry about spilling that kerosene is worth it.

The box says that it will burn for 8 hours on a 1#can. I tested this and found that a refilled can (using HF refiller) lasted for 5 hours.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion