Subaru Wiring Harness - Don't Use Aftermarket Version

Anything electric, AC or DC

Subaru Wiring Harness - Don't Use Aftermarket Version

Postby pbb » Sat May 27, 2006 1:01 pm

This past weekend, I hooked up the Camp Inn to the Subaru Forester for a voyage to Gettysburg, PA and some but not all of the trailer lights worked. When I got home from the trip, I asked Cary at Camp Inn for some advice. Cary told me to check the circuits on the aftermarket (Draw Tite) wiring harness that I bought from etrailer.com. Lo and behold, the harness was the problem. I went to a local RV shop (Stoltzfus in West Chester, PA) and talked to the service staff. They were very helpful, and recommended that I buy an OEM Subaru wiring harness because the wiring in Subaru Foresters is somewhat . . . minimal in capacity. As instructed, I went out and bought the OEM version, and the problem was solved 1 2 3. The moral of my story is avoid an aftermarket harness if you own a 2002 Subaru Forester.

:thumbsup:
pbb
Teardrop Builder

Postby rampage » Sat May 27, 2006 10:27 pm

Crap, I just ordered a hitch and harness from etrailer for my 06 Forester. They had two harnesses to choose from, one was a few dollors more but was vehicle specific. Thats the one I ordered. I'm gonna go with it and hope for the best.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sun May 28, 2006 12:17 am

I have a friend who had a Forester. She got an after market harness and the adapter box required, and she had no problems. Remember your stop lights and turn lights are not the same lights as they are on the teardrop.

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

subaru forrester

Postby okiecamper » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:59 pm

i have a 05 forester, everything works greaT WITH THE FACTORY TRAILER WIREING.

THANKS

PHIL
there are many storms in life that come our way
the trick is learning to "dance in the rain."

May the apple of your eye see only good
May God make smooth the path before you.
okiecamper
The 300 Club

Re: subaru forrester

Postby Gage » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:07 am

okiecamper wrote:i have a 05 forester, everything works greaT WITH THE FACTORY TRAILER WIREING.
THANKS
PHIL

Phil, That's the way to go but some people are cheap. They rather buy something twice than buy the correct item once. Even though Jane bought an after market, it was wired for her per Subaru instructions. ;)

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

subaru wireing

Postby okiecamper » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:49 am

well, i just had the dealership put it in, i guess thats the best wat to go.

all the lights and everything work fine, it just the regular 4 pin plug.

phil
there are many storms in life that come our way
the trick is learning to "dance in the rain."

May the apple of your eye see only good
May God make smooth the path before you.
okiecamper
The 300 Club

Postby rampage » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:12 pm

The vehicle specific harness I got from etrailer for $30 pluged right in and it works great. Subaru wanted $600 for the the hitch and harness. I did it myself for well under $200. I really doubt Subaru makes the parts anyway. Its probably made by the company I bought them from.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby Cary Winch » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:05 am

Rampage does bring up a good point. Factory harnesses are not always the magic bullet either. I see as many of those controllers show up here dead as aftermarket. Sometimes the factory ones are the worse. Toyotas come to mind, nearly every Toyota that shows up here to pick up a trailer has a bad module.

I think the best way to look at is to suspect all trailer light modules. Either that or go with the expensive ones that have their own flashers built in and all. I used one of those for years in my wifes old grand prix and it worked great. The other solution is buy cars that don't need them, that is what I did when we replaced the Grand Prix.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby exminnesotaboy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:07 am

I used DrawTite plug-in wiring harness(4pin flat) on my girlfriends 02 Forester. It took less than 10 minutes from beginning to end for install and has worked perfectly ever since.

Everytime we have pulled a trailer or our teardrop, we ALWAYS check to make sure the trailer lights are operating perfectly before we take off - and never an issue.

Now you have me wondering why you had problems with the same vehicle... :thinking:
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cary Winch » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:58 am

Anthony,

I don't think Paul's problem is vehicle specific. We just happen to see alot of light modules go bad all on their own for no good reason. There is a very high failure rate that I have observed. Some are even factory installations like the Toyotas I mentioned. Sometimes you get a good one that keeps on working like you did, sometimes they are dead 6 months later.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby exminnesotaboy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:22 pm

good info Cary. It makes me happier that I check my lighting before every trip(even short ones), instead of just wanting to hook up and head out quickly - you never know when they may fail.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets