Any ideas about renting a vehicle to tow my TD?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Postby catinmoon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Given my current circumstances, I'd like to get my TD from CA to the midwest. Is there any company that will rent a vehicle with the capacity to tow?

I know a Uhaul trailer might have a hitch, but I'm looking for something more similar to a passenger vehicle. It's a long shot, but thought I would ask.

Please don't suggest buying a vehicle as that's not what I want to do at this point (well I do, but not sure what I want, and time frame is short).

Thanks if anyone has any experiences to share.

Best,
Stephanie
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Re: Any ideas about renting a vehicle to tow my TD?

Postby razorback » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Try Uship .com. They will have different people bid on hauling your td.
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby catinmoon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:31 pm

razorback wrote:Try Uship .com. They will have different people bid on hauling your td.

thanks, I guess I didn't thinkg about having it hauled by someone else.

More logistics, I want to go out to CA, camp for a while (other people will be able to tow while I am there), and then return to midwest camper in tow.

but this is another option I hadn't considered.

best,
Stephanie
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby mcubberley » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:39 pm

catinmoon wrote:
razorback wrote:Try Uship .com. They will have different people bid on hauling your td.

thanks, I guess I didn't thinkg about having it hauled by someone else.

More logistics, I want to go out to CA, camp for a while (other people will be able to tow while I am there), and then return to midwest camper in tow.

but this is another option I hadn't considered.

best,
Stephanie

I think u-Haul Now rents pickups. Even a small box truck can tow a car so I would think a TD behind is possible.
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby EZDog » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:53 pm

I have been using Enterprise Truck Rental and the pricing is incredible and all unlimited miles too!
Don't know if any have hitches though? I would imagine most rentals try to stay away from that in general?
I have the biggest Ford Transit they make right now and your TD might even go inside the thing?
Its so huge it is embarrassing really!
This is it next to a full sized Ford old school van!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by EZDog on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby mcubberley » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:55 pm

EZDog wrote:I have been using Enterprise Truck Rental and the pricing is incredible and all unlimited miles too!
Don't know if any have hitches though? I would imagine most rentals try to stay away from that in general?

I think U-Haul's are the only ones I have ever seen towing. Usually, it's a car behind a box truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby catinmoon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:07 pm

my guess is that most rental places wouldn't want someone towing, because people tend to try and tow too much weight. I have seen uhaaul trucks towing uhaul trailers, but i am looking for a smaller rig.

My td is under 1Klbs and any 6 or 8 cylinder vehicle should have no problem. Of course I would be responsible, but rental places are probably erring on the side of caution.

I will ask at Enterprise -- there is one near my house.

Stephanie
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:19 pm

The last time I tried this - and it was a loooong time ago - even places that rent pickup truck do not allow towing with them.

Things may have changed with the Millenium....

Dumb question: If you were to find a place willing to rent a tow vehicle, do you have experience towing ?
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby catinmoon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:24 pm

yes i have towed the teardrop. I just no longer have the tow vehicle which was a toyota tacoma truck

I also once towed an overloaded 5 x 8 Jartran trailer from north carolina to oregon with a bmw 2002 that was missing the 2nd gear. I was younger and not as smart then. I almost just left the trailer in wyoming.

s
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:41 am

I tried to rent a tow vehicle for our Scout trailer several years ago and could not find one that allowed towing.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:15 pm

catinmoon wrote:my guess is that most rental places wouldn't want someone towing, because people tend to try and tow too much weight. I have seen uhaaul trucks towing uhaul trailers, but i am looking for a smaller rig.

My td is under 1Klbs and any 6 or 8 cylinder vehicle should have no problem. Of course I would be responsible, but rental places are probably erring on the side of caution.

I will ask at Enterprise -- there is one near my house.

Stephanie

Make sure it is Enterprise Truck Rental which is not the same as Enterprise Rent a Car. 8)
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:37 pm

National Rental Car will rent a F-150 for $57.00/day with unlimited Mileage.. that will do it. Other than the trucks and SUV's, rental cars typically won't have a hitch.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:51 pm

My experience is most rental cars lack hitches. And adding one most likely will void any insurance.

Rental trucks almost all have hitches. The small box trucks actually drive very well -- even under the worst of conditions. Not having rented one in a while, the biggest issue back when was no AC, only diesel fuel (never could be found when you needed it) and many were standards. Now most have AC, automatics and gasoline.

Penske Truck has car dollies : whole car on the 2 axle bed.

I have driven cross county (in snow storm) with a temporary hitch/10 ft trailer, and did reasonably well. I am not sure if any modern car would take a hitch to the bumper. Nothing to really attach to. You are most likely looking at adding a hitch -- $$ plus labor to a car.

You are against having it shipped.

The only other transit ideas is find someone going anyway and let them "rent" it from you.

Have you looked into storage? Might be cheaper to not move it right now. And come back to it later.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby catinmoon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:48 am

OK, I followed a few leads and now have this update.

Having seen a chevy SUV with hitch receiver parked in the Enterprise car rental lo,t I stopped in to ask about renting it (it was a Chevy Suburban). I was told that they don't allow towing with any of the vehicles rented via car rental, even if the vehicle does have the hitch reciever integrated into the car. Some larger SUVs come with the receiver already integrated.

The car rental folks sent me to Commercial Truck Rental. They DO allow towing with one of their vehicles: the 3/4 ton pickup. It comes with a 2.5 inch receiver but they provide a converter to 2". No towing with their vans. For me to take it to CA and back from Nebraska for 9 or so days it would cost between $1100 and $1700 for the rental, deciding on what type of coverage/insurance I opted for. You don't get a choice of truck, just whatever they have, it could be gas or diesel, Ford or Dodge.

It's really overkill for the teardrop. So I'll probably not go for it due to the mammoth nature of the truck and the price. With the rental, insurance and fuel I could likely buy a worthy tow vehicle then sell it. That said, I wanted to pass on this information.

Best,
Stephanie
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby EZDog » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:37 pm

catinmoon wrote:OK, I followed a few leads and now have this update.

Having seen a chevy SUV with hitch receiver parked in the Enterprise car rental lo,t I stopped in to ask about renting it (it was a Chevy Suburban). I was told that they don't allow towing with any of the vehicles rented via car rental, even if the vehicle does have the hitch reciever integrated into the car. Some larger SUVs come with the receiver already integrated.

The car rental folks sent me to Commercial Truck Rental. They DO allow towing with one of their vehicles: the 3/4 ton pickup. It comes with a 2.5 inch receiver but they provide a converter to 2". No towing with their vans. For me to take it to CA and back from Nebraska for 9 or so days it would cost between $1100 and $1700 for the rental, deciding on what type of coverage/insurance I opted for. You don't get a choice of truck, just whatever they have, it could be gas or diesel, Ford or Dodge.

It's really overkill for the teardrop. So I'll probably not go for it due to the mammoth nature of the truck and the price. With the rental, insurance and fuel I could likely buy a worthy tow vehicle then sell it. That said, I wanted to pass on this information.

Best,
Stephanie

Like I said,Enterprise Truck Rental is a different beast than Rent a Car,I wasn't kidding.

That seems high to me but not terribly so either.
I just returned from 9 days with that big honking van from them and it was $530 a week without insurance but we ALWAYS get the full coverage which is pricey for sure but not as pricey as a new van or my high deductible either!
I had an incident 2 years ago that didn't look too bad really but would have cost a crapload to get fixed myself but with the full coverage I just handed them the keys and walked away,worth the price for sure especially since I wasn't paying it anyway!

Anyway I understand your feeling the TD should be an easy pull with many cars as well,what is your vehicle?

On the other hand there is a strong argument for it being worth the cost to not have to put several thousand towing miles on your car regardless of what it is.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles