Roof aluminum under or over hurricane hinge?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Roof aluminum under or over hurricane hinge?

Postby earl84 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:22 am

Got the side aluminum on, moving on to the roof aluminum, but was wondering if people install it over the top of the hurricane hinge on the trailer side or under? Thinking of water and how it runs, it makes sense to put the hurricane hinge on then put the aluminum roof sheet over the top of it, but is this necessary, and how does it look?
earl84
Donating Member

Re: Roof aluminum under or over hurricane hinge?

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:07 am

Interesting idea to overlap the roof aluminum on top of the hurricane hinge. I've never seen it done. I suspect it's more hassle than it's worth. Yes, it takes advantage of the shingle principle, but it looks 10x better and it's 10x easier to put the hurricane hinge on top. Plus, if/when your teardrop needs maintenance, do you really want to have to remove a roof panel just to reseal/replace/tweak the hinge?

It's not hard to seal the overlap between the hinge and the roof. Butyl tape, hot-melt glue, 3M 5200, Sashco Lexel, EPDM gasket, 3M VHB tape ... pick your poison.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:31 pm

It is an interesting idea, but I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. If you use a quality sealant, it won't leak.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby earl84 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:30 am

Thanks for the replies. I took a close look and mocked it up yesterday, and pretty much decided that I am not doing it that way. Thanks for the thoughts.
earl84
Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets