7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:34 am

Very cool! I am not very familiar with ham radio stuff but the idea intrigues me.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Padilen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:40 am

Geek!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:12 am

flboy wrote:Messing around with a new QRP HF transceiver and portable tuner that can dial in a long wire. Going to install in the CTC. On a good propogation day, I just may be able to collude with the Russians and certainly anyone in the Americas or Western Europe. :-) Looking forward to giving this a go in the field when camping. I just need to get the schematics for this radio so I can interface my tablet sound card/microphone into the radio microphone/handset jack.... then I'll be able to do some cool digital modes like PSK31 and RTTY.

It is an illness... not my fault. :-)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Funny how much that rig looks like the 7000?
I have almost pulled the trigger on one many times,the reviews are decent and the display is CRAZY!

A friend just got a KX2 though and that thing is sick too but for all good reasons I think?

EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:25 pm

EZDog wrote:

Funny how much that rig looks like the 7000?
I have almost pulled the trigger on one many times,the reviews are decent and the display is CRAZY!

A friend just got a KX2 though and that thing is sick too but for all good reasons I think?

I does look a lot the the IC 7000.. obviously not the same price... That KX2 is awesome...truly is a backpack rig..

I gave the X108G a good test this weekend. Got it to work on the digital modes without the Signalink. FLdigi (have to do some weird setup and tell the software it is a IC-7000) will tune/PTT via the USB and I directly connect the Audio Out to the Mic input of the PC . Acoustically coupled the output to the X108G's mic input (set mic in front of speaker) so I had to do no wiring... Worked PSK31 all over the country a while today (EFW antenna) and talked to a gentleman on Price Edward Island in Nova Scotia, Canada and another on St. Croix , US Virgin Islands from Florida on 10W (20M SSB) and got a 5-9 and a 5-8 signal report (I was using my 2 element beam @ 30ft. however)... Very happy with the performance so far. The tiny speaker is poor.. but the radio sounds great with the headphones on. I have a QRP 9:1 unun and the MFJ-971 tuner and a big spool of wire.. anxious to try the long wire up in the trees.

This X108G is so small... will go in a box in the cabinet in the CTC... when I am remote, I can break it out for fun or for an emergency if needed.

My CTC is also my Hurricane Evacuation trailer now... so I can evacuate and set up Emergency Communications if needed during and after the storm.. Run off Solar and Gen if needed.
Last edited by flboy on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:48 pm

Padilen wrote:Geek!

I am hurt. :cry: :cry: 8)
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:18 pm

flboy wrote:Messing around with a new QRP HF transceiver and portable tuner that can dial in a long wire. Going to install in the CTC. On a good propogation day, I just may be able to collude with the Russians and certainly anyone in the Americas or Western Europe. :-) Looking forward to giving this a go in the field when camping. I just need to get the schematics for this radio so I can interface my tablet sound card/microphone into the radio microphone/handset jack.... then I'll be able to do some cool digital modes like PSK31 and RTTY.

It is an illness... not my fault. :-)

I wish I had of paid more attention to my uncles ham radio setup back when I was young (early to mid 70's). My uncle conned me in to helping him erect his tower since I was the lightest and smallest kid. We put up a 100ft tower( 10ft sections) over a two week period. My reward for helping was I got to fly with him and take control of his plane for a couple of hours :D .

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:53 pm

m.colley wrote:I wish I had of paid more attention to my uncles ham radio setup back when I was young (early to mid 70's). My uncle conned me in to helping him erect his tower since I was the lightest and smallest kid. We put up a 100ft tower( 10ft sections) over a two week period. My reward for helping was I got to fly with him and take control of his plane for a couple of hours :D .
Martin

It is a fun hobby... one of my many. I have always enjoyed radios . I was trained as an Electronic Warfare Intercept Systems Repairman in the Army and spent a lot of time working on passive and active Airborne Electronic Warfare systems. My first job while I was in college after the Army was working on Weather Radar and airborne HF and VHF comm systems... was good experience. This hobby was just an extension... I don't have to work on them now.. but I enjoy operating them, and experimenting with antenna systems and propagation.... I just installed an 85' End Fed Wire antenna today and immediately was able to make a digital contact on 7.070 Mhz to Frankfurt Germany running only 50 Watts. I have an Extra Class license so I can work any Amature band frequencies avaialble. That's why I bought the small radio for the CTC... can take it on the road now too. :-)
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:56 pm

@ Martin,
See? That's how it all gets started. I had an uncle in Chelsea, OK. that had a couple planes and his own strip and hanger. The first time he took my sister and I up, he showed me some manuvers. Turns about a point, min. controllable speed, touch and go's, and....stalls! I was maybe 7-8yrs old. When I looked in the rear seat and saw my sister was pale green and soaked in sweat, I was hooked! I would buck hay bales all day, every day just hoping to go up again. He loved it, too. It was many years later before I went to flight school, but I know I had that same stupid smile on my face, still do.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:32 am

McDave wrote:@ Martin,
See? That's how it all gets started. I had an uncle in Chelsea, OK. that had a couple planes and his own strip and hanger. The first time he took my sister and I up, he showed me some manuvers. Turns about a point, min. controllable speed, touch and go's, and....stalls! I was maybe 7-8yrs old. When I looked in the rear seat and saw my sister was pale green and soaked in sweat, I was hooked! I would buck hay bales all day, every day just hoping to go up again. He loved it, too. It was many years later before I went to flight school, but I know I had that same stupid smile on my face, still do.

McDave

Yup your right.
Aunt and Uncle were both on ambulance duty, Aunt was a paramedic/EMT and RN in real life, uncle was deputy sheriff, ambulance driver/paramedic and flew as pilot courtesy of Unk Sam . They both rode rodeo on weekends. I use to help out with the horses and around the barn in exchange for flying lessons and just time flying period. I still keep debating on getting my pilots license. Its a expensive hobby and I quit jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:27 am

I need to buy a window unit for a rental house. I think I am going to get an 8000 BTU GE model and see if my Honda will start it from ECO mode. I have read many times where they will start the GE from ECO mode with no sweat.

Something has always bothered me about the 6000 BTU unit I have now in the CTC (not a GE)and that is, it is not the Honda overload that trips, it is the AC unit that trips (brown out) when trying to start in ECO mode. Once the AC is running, the Honda is barely working if you switch to ECO mode. The 6000BTU takes about 500w vs 8000 BTU @ 600w when running.

In any case, if the ECO mode works with the GE unit, l'll be upgrading so I can run from ECO mode and will install the Supco cap just for good measure. During run, the 8000 BTU only draws about 100 more watts, so not really going to impact except when I run from solar it will reduce the total run time until I need recharge .
If it does not perform with the Honda in ECO mode, I'll probably just leave things alone as what I have now works great in every other regard... I just really wanted to have the Honda run in ECO mode since the overall loading is not even half the Generator capacity and the only reason it runs full out is to start the AC as is.

We will see... gonna try it. :-)

Last edited by flboy on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:53 am

I still need to re test mine on the Eco mode. I have the 10,000 in the house now so I can't test it. But I can redo both 8000.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:59 am

I will be running the test tonight. I'll let you know.

Btw.. I emailed Supco on the weatherproofness of their cap assembly. They have not responded. In my case, it is essentially inside from the wet weather anyhow given my mounting configuration, but curious minds want to know. :-).

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:40 pm

flboy wrote:I will be running the test tonight. I'll let you know.

Btw.. I emailed Supco on the weatherproofness of their cap assembly. They have not responded. In my case, it is essentially inside from the wet weather anyhow given my mounting configuration, but curious minds want to know. :-).

My Honda EU2000i kicked over the 8000 BTU GE unit in ECO mode with no sweat! Yes! It is a larger unit but only draws 1 more amp than my 6000 BTU. I guess now the temp will just pull down inside a little faster. It is a few inches wider but I left enough room in the design for 22in wide AC and this is only 20 in., so I am in business! Simple process... just screw it down and trim the foam and faceplate to fit the bigger unit. I'll use that 6,000 BTU elsewhere.

I'll take some pics with the new mount. It will be a week or so before I get a chance... just so excited it works in ECO mode.. The Gen just bumps up a little when it the compressor comes on and the generator is so quiet at about half throttle. In the back of my truck you probably will barely hear it walking by.

I am wondering now if this may not even affect my solar usage. If it pulls down quicker and shuts off and only draws 16% more power... maybe it will he a wash in total power consumption since I am not changing anything else... kinda like pulling a trailer with a 6 cylinder and a V8. My V8 actually got the same gas mileage pulling my old CTC as my old truck did with a V6. The only difference was the V8 had a lot more left in it than the V6 for passing and etc.. I guess I will really never know now, and it doesn't really matter... I'll run the gen now at a rest stop if I need to.. can barely hear it walking by given it is running at 1/2 speed.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:33 pm

flboy, Howdy;

Don, with your constant run of good luck you might think about the investment in a few lottery tickets ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Padilen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:52 am

I posted my other comment before I had my brain working. I actually did re test the 8000 window on my Champion on ECO too. All was good. I was getting my 8hp unit ready to loan out, and I tested it and the Champion on the 8. Just slipped my mind as I was focused on other things. But I forgot to do the 8000 portable too.

Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions