Who has a Cubby with gas strut Hatch supports?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Who has a Cubby with gas strut Hatch supports?

Postby toypusher » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:52 pm

I am planning to put gas struts in for my hatch support and was wondering if anyone else out there with a Cubby has them. If so, would you please tell the specs on the struts and I would also like to know some measurements for the placement. I am hoping to save on the trial and error method of installing them.

Thanks!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:17 pm

Good question.... I'd like to know too...
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Gas Struts

Postby JohnF » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:24 pm

Look in the archives. There was an excellent post a few months back that showed the positioning of the ends which is always the hard part. Also there has been some very informative posts re what "weight" of gas struts to use.

John
JohnF
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:07 pm

I'm sure Tom (S) will see this and respond. He built a 5' wide Cubby.

Or PM him.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:00 pm

Ira wrote:I'm sure Tom (S) will see this and respond. He built a 5' wide Cubby.

Or PM him.

yeah but he didn't use gas strut...did he.............................................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:09 pm

Kerry,

Its not a cubby but here's some info

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:55 pm

bdosborn wrote:Kerry,

Its not a cubby but here's some info

Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks for the link, I had emailed Mike about his and he gave me the same information. I think that it will be the perfect starting point and I believe that I can figure it out. I was really hoping that someone had done the exact thing before and could help me save alot of time and agravation.

Thanks to all who responded. I will let you know how it goes and try to remember to take pics, pics, and more pics!! :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:27 pm

madjack wrote:
Ira wrote:I'm sure Tom (S) will see this and respond. He built a 5' wide Cubby.

Or PM him.

yeah but he didn't use gas strut...did he.............................................. 8)

No, I did not use gas stuts. I made my supports out of aluminum EMT conduit and kick-down door stops.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:47 am

Kerry,

Remember that gas struts need to be exercised to keep the high pressure gaskets in them lubed. Forget to open your hatch every couple of weeks over the winter and you may find that they've failed.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:24 am

Thanks, Bruce!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby kayakr » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:17 pm

i saw this post a month ago and i was trying to place some supports in my cubby's galley as well. The good news was i found a "strong arm" gas lift support that was about 20" open and had 3/8 bolt holes on each end. I made a sweet bracket for the support and it was working great until i tried closing the hatch. i almost got it closed when i realized the shock was keeping the hatch from latching. The problem was i did not do the shocks before i built the galley. My only option was to have the top bracket about 7 inched form the top edge. The top galley cabinet prevented me from installing it closer. If i could have mounted it at about 5" i would have been all set. So if you decide to use gas lifts try sizing them before building the cabinets and you should be all set. use the guidelines that others have used of mounting the bottom bracket 3" from the outside edge of the galley and top at 5" from the hinge(or as i say from the top edge). If i had to do it over again i would have mounted the top first then mark the position 3"from the edge while the shock is fully extended and your hatch is being propped at the hight you want it to end up. I wish i rememberd the strong arm number because they only cost $16 each and one was enough to lift my heavy hatch(though i would have used two). In the end i constructed a prop rod out of aluminum but wish i had used gas shocks.
kayakr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:57 pm

Kerry I did it like this. My struts are 20" extended and 12" compressed. So it gave me a 8" stroke.
I measured from A to C 20" 2"below the edge to clear the 1 3/4" thick door and then marked it with a swath of tape inside and out.
I then almost closed the hatch and marked the position of A in the closed position and it gave me B.
Then I made sure that position B and C were 12 1/2" apart adjusting verticaly on the swath of tape. And transfered that to the inside.
I got lucky on the struts. I got 120lbs on each side and they were perfect. I got the struts at NAPA Because they said it would be no problem exchanging the if the pressure didn't work. They had most pressures in stock also.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:04 am

Sonetpro wrote:I got lucky on the struts. I got 120lbs on each side and they were perfect. I got the struts at NAPA Because they said it would be no problem exchanging the if the pressure didn't work. They had most pressures in stock also.

You're lucky, The first ones I got were 150lbs waaay too much. I went back today and ordered 90lbs. Both times they had to come from San Antonio. I'm gonna reinforce the wood with epoxy and cloth. After just a couple dozen test runs, the screw holes were already elongating.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby toypusher » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:23 am

Thanks, Steve! I have not gotten around to actually getting the gas struts yet, but your information will help alot.

kayakr, I have been done construction for over a year, so putting them in before the cabinets is not possible now. Thanks for your information. I am hoping that if I can get them right the first time that the information provided here will help other folks to get theirs right without any 'trial and error'. Saving lots of time and aggravation! 8)
toypusher
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques