new guy designing/building hybrid 5x10

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

new guy designing/building hybrid 5x10

Postby jbell.louisburg » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:33 am

hello to all -- joined the forum from kansas.

I love teardrops over canned hams, as tears seem to be less "10lbs stuff in a 5 lb container" -- however, I do appreciate some of the features canned hams offer.

To that end I'm designing for my backpacking son and his 4runner that's a bit of a hybrid.
1. No galley, and the water leaks/cooking smells that happen there -- the cooking stuff (for me) belongs in a separate tongue mounted box
2. Interior height that you can at least get dressed in, even if it's not full standing height.
3. At least a small bit of floor space, with the ability to sit on the end of the bed with your feet on the floor, and space for a pair of shoes.
4. access to a cold drink while inside.
5. someplace to sit out a rain/storm.
6. enough battery to power 200mm computer fans for ventilation and charging various electronics without having to go full solar panel system.

So, attached is what I have drawn up, it's a work in progress, but I think I've about finalized the design.
My son loves the canned ham crank out windows, and I've found some modern 2015 shasta's

anyway -- hello to all, and I welcome comments/thoughts/opinions.
j.bell

IMG_5178.JPG
IMG_5178.JPG (564.42 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Re: new guy designing/building hybrid 5x10

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:53 am

Why not add a foot well or dropped section if standing and sitting are priorities for you?

It seems most folks like the door located so one can sit on the mattress in the open door and remove shoes. Just a thought about where mattress ends/starts in relation to door.

Congratulations on getting going and best wishes for a successful and speedy build!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:19 am

Hello Kansas!

No galley, and the water leaks/cooking smells that happen there

Just to set the record straight, I've built three 'drops using Steve Fredrick's system and the galley hatches are as tight as a car's trunk.

And about that dang cooking smell. I really hate that too. Especially since my wife likes to sneak out and start breakfast. The odor of coffee... eeeek... and sometimes I have to get dressed to the stench of bacon and eggs. Oh my! :frightened:

Welcome aboard,

Tony :thumbsup: :R
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jbell.louisburg » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:52 pm

QueticoBill wrote:Why not add a foot well or dropped section if standing and sitting are priorities for you?
It seems most folks like the door located so one can sit on the mattress in the open door and remove shoes. Just a thought about where mattress ends/starts in relation to door.
Congratulations on getting going and best wishes for a successful and speedy build!

agree --
the green area is my drop floor area (to the bottom of the tongue steel on the northern trailer)
The redish area is my under bed storage.
Bed will be a full size 54" wide mattress with a futon cover, which should leave me enough space to make my bottom door sill deep enough to sit on.
Door is as big as I think I can practically make it. (for easy access to storage as well as cooler locations)
mattress will tilt up at the foot for storage access, and tilt up at head end to make a day lounger.

Love the questions and thoughts
thanks
j.bell
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jbell.louisburg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:24 am

Hello Kansas!
No galley, and the water leaks/cooking smells that happen there
Just to set the record straight, I've built three 'drops using Steve Fredrick's system and the galley hatches are as tight as a car's trunk.

Thanks tony -- I'm honored by your welcome and pictures/comments -- you've got some very nice construction there.

I understand my design goals are a bit 'unique' or I could go down the well proven path that thousands before me have gone.
I love teardrops and their simplicity, but I also love the additional functionality that canned ham style trailer brings.
Since what I'm doing is neither ham nor tear -- I may end up with something that either group may find issue with -- however my hope is
that it accomplishes what my son wants to do. He has a hard time sitting still these days, and something that he can tow with his
3rd gen 4runner that can protect him through a severe storm is what I"m trying for.
(no not a tornado... you need serious protection for those.)
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jbell.louisburg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:35 pm

OK, so I don't think this will be doing much of the towing, but I know how people on forums love pictures.

Here's my last accomplishment with my son...... He's the backpacking one the hybrid is for.
Attachments
boy-heap[1].jpg
boy-heap[1].jpg (110.42 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Nice truck :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves