how to seal seams

Finishes, paints and coatings

how to seal seams

Postby PJLangevin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi all,

I am including a drawing to show what I am doing. Teardrop I am building is 64" wide (to fit walls and queen bed). The issue I am having is want to skin the curve at the front and the roof. 150369
I want to use 8" strip, then a standard sheet 48x96, then the 8" strip. This will all eventually be covered with PMF. How do I seal these long seams best? do I just use the PFM or should I use a molding?
Secondary to this, if I wanted to take this on a little test run to a camp site 1/2 from house, would a coat of paint to keep dew from penetrating the 1/8 birch skin interfere with the bonding of the TiteBond 3 and canvas later?
Thank you all for all the great things I have already read.

PJL
An it harm none, do what ye will
PJLangevin
Teardrop Builder

Re: how to seal seams

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:26 am

PMF is plenty to seal the seams. The sheer amount of paint used to do PMF right those seams will disappear.

DO NOT PAINT IT just to try it out. If you do you just lost all strength and sealing ability of PMF. Not sure why you want to test out your hard work without the most important part being completed.

However wasting money on titebond 3 for this purpose is a waste. Use of glue is for foam, not wood. Its just a waste on wood.

Good exterior paint

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby PJLangevin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Thank you Tigris. I get the priming part, but are you saying don't use Titebond to glue canvas to wood? We are in the process of adding last of wood skin to cover foam and framing. We are using titebond on the wood to wood, and ultimate for foam to wood. Is that not correct? Sorry for not understanding.
PJLangevin
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:28 am

Titebond for foam to wood and wood to wood us right. Canvas to wood is not necessary and an expensive method. You can use titebond, simply saying its not required. Exterior paint is all you need. Its much less expensive considering the amount you will need and will bond quite well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby PJLangevin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:46 am

Thank you so much, that is great info.
PJLangevin
Teardrop Builder

Return to Skinning secrets