Postby QueticoBill » Mon May 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Model number?
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Any one ever fired up a preway!

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon May 29, 2017 8:31 pm

I have a three burner Preway I inherited from my parents who bought it in the 30's. We used it until we got our first tear. I have a digital copy of the manual if you want to PM me an email address I can send you a copy. They work well, one of the cast iron burners has a top grate that helps to heat the generator.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Tue May 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Tapatalk is actually easier to get photos up than the desktop site. When entering a post there is a little up arrow on the left. Tap that and the typing area expands revealing a grey square with a blank page icon in it that has a plus sign. Just tap that and follow your nose.

There are also some extra icons below it. The one of a camera let's you take a photo and upload it or the one next to it that looks like a painting of mountains let's you upload a photo you have already taken.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby ChefConroy » Wed May 31, 2017 1:13 pm

Dunno about the preway, but great thing about my '50s era Coleman is I can still get parts.

Tip with the old stoves like yours: if you find the pump on the tank isn't working so well anymore, you can pull it apart at re-wet the seal, since its leather.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
ChefConroy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dguff » Wed May 31, 2017 8:15 pm

I think firing up an old preway requires an understanding of convfeve!!!
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:05 am

Hey Slow. If your stove has a funky aluminum pump that is also the filler you need to be sure it does not leak after pumping up. No positive shut off like nearly all Colemans. Older Preways usually have a positive shut off.

After you get it pressurized open the valve on the side about 2 to 4 turns. The valve is usually some different color, green I think but has darken over the years and they are now almost the same color. But any way open it up. Hold match to burner and open the main valve pointing out at you. After it gets warm can shut off the side valve. But really the side valve often seems to not do a thing. Other times it does.

These instructions are for stove with the tank on the front. There are older ones with the tank on the side. But the valve operation is the same. Unless you have a real old one with one valve. Those need preheat like a Kerosene lantern and there should be some kind of depression to put alcohol in. Either in the burner the genny goes over or a cast iron thing. I have one that needs preheat. That one starts right up and I have the alcohol around anyway.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Cottage Hill Bill » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm

The valve on the side is the air bleed and works like the up-to-light/down-to-burn lever on a Coleman stove. It leans the mixture on start up until the generator is hot enough to vaporize the gas.

Pump up the tank. Open the side (air) valve at least one turn. Open the front (fuel) valve and light burner. Let run for 1-2 minutes and close air valve. Control flame with fuel valve.

It the air valve isn't working it is probably because it is plugged on the bottom of the valve. Repair will require removing the valve from the tank and clearing the air tube from the bottom. You can test by removing the air valve stem from the tank. With an empty tank, fuel valve closed, rapidly pump 15-20 times and listen for air at the side of the valve where the air valve stem goes. If you hear air the passage is clear.
Cottage Hill Bill
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:00 am

Slow. Sounds like your check valve is leaking. Very common on these. O ring can be replaced, according to some. It is very tiny. I have had luck by holding it open and using a tooth brush to clean it up some. Hold it open with a pencil from the inside of the pump tube.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:24 pm

Whoa, hey slow, sorry I did not see this until tonight. The o-ring is on the very outside of the pump that goes in the tank. Kind of have a valve much like an engine valve but very tiny. pressure inside the tank holds it closed.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:34 am

slowcowboy wrote:thanks randy I am bored enough with winter cabine fever to dig the preway out again for fun and games and fire and flames now that I got 2 iches of snow to light it up in outside. :D Slow

Boredom and Colemans mix. But not alcohol and Colemans. Unless one is starting up a Kerosene one.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment