Security

Let's protect our teardrops! Let's talk sunbrella, carports, sheds and garages..

Re: Security

Postby droid_ca » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:15 pm

There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Laurette » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:23 am

Seems like taking a wheel off is a great solution!
What do you replace it with, I guess a jack stands?
About to buy mines, which ones should I take?
https://www.amazon.com/Torin-T42002-Jack-Stands-pair/dp/B0028JQYPG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467130554&sr=8-2&keywords=jack+stands
http://www.rvpartsnation.com/rv-towing-driving/rv-jacks/rv-scissor-jack-24-5000-lbs-1-pair-with-handle/?gclid=CJnoqdGSy80CFYeUfgod6CoLBw

Or would you recommend something else?

Laurette
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PanelDeland » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:54 pm

I saw a unit like the "TattleTale" in a guys classic truck a couple of weeks ago. It was about 2 1/2 -3 inches square and maybe 1/2 in or so thick. He took it out of his toolbox and laid it on the radiator support. Two or three minutes later, he got a text with a map of where his unit was. It said , "the asset has been moved. Retail on Amazon was about $100 and the subscription was IIRC about $7 a month. It's adjustable so you can put it on a boat that is moored (moves with the wave. tide etc and wont alarm. He can move it from asset to asset or like I prefer one toy to another. It wont stop them from stealing it but you'll know where it is, then he said you just call 911 and tell them 'My "X" has been stolen, my GPS locator says it's at "Y". I going to go get it, could you send someone so I don't have to use my CCP?" He told me the paperwork with it says it's line of sight but it alarmed when he stuck it under his seat and again when he put it back in his toolbox. Uses 3AAA batteries and lasts about 6 months. If you prosecute, you'll save someone else. So if you secure the trailer with locks and a determined thief (I can see that happening with some of the nice builds on here) comes along and takes it, you still get it back.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Is this what you are talking about?
https://www.tattletale.com/rv-alarm/

This site has it costing hundreds of dollars to buy and $20.95 per month service.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Mark959 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:44 pm

not sure if this is resurrecting an old thread but wanted to toss my 2 cents into the ring:

Battery powered grinders are becoming more commonplace theft tools, and are very capable. Disabling the wheel(s) is a great idea. You can get a locking nut to put on too, yeah thieves can cut or break a stud off but nothing is truly thief-proof if the person is determined enough. Gotta have enough obstacles to make 99% of them not want to try it.

On the trailer I use a ball lock, a lock on the release for the ball, and then a locking receiver pin on my truck hitch.

I like the rims with the holes in them, I was thinking about trying out a bike lock or some chain. Those braided cables are too easy to cut especially with grinders - I have to work with the cable frequently at work (albeit in sizes under 1/4" usually).

For general purpose locks I've been using locks like the ABUS 20/70. The design is much harder for anything but a grinder to mess with and harder to be picked.

I'm mulling the idea over for a car-style-esque or motion alarm for mine. If someone is grinding away maybe it'll go off and scare them? Motion would only be for noncamping, wouldn't want critters triggering it :lol:
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:10 am

Laurette wrote:Seems like taking a wheel off is a great solution!
What do you replace it with, I guess a jack stands?
About to buy mines, which ones should I take?
https://www.amazon.com/Torin-T42002-Jack-Stands-pair/dp/B0028JQYPG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467130554&sr=8-2&keywords=jack+stands
http://www.rvpartsnation.com/rv-towing-driving/rv-jacks/rv-scissor-jack-24-5000-lbs-1-pair-with-handle/?gclid=CJnoqdGSy80CFYeUfgod6CoLBw

Or would you recommend something else?

Stabilizer jacks in each rear and the tongue jack are all it takes,
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:16 pm

Mark959 wrote:not sure if this is resurrecting an old thread but wanted to toss my 2 cents into the ring:

Battery powered grinders are becoming more commonplace theft tools, and are very capable. Disabling the wheel(s) is a great idea. You can get a locking nut to put on too, yeah thieves can cut or break a stud off but nothing is truly thief-proof if the person is determined enough. Gotta have enough obstacles to make 99% of them not want to tryl:

We called the battery powered grinder at work “the key to the city”. :lol:

I have a 2” female receiver on the trailer side so I can change so I can change from 2” ball or a Lock N Roll type hitch. So I can remove any way for someone to tow it away.

The best thing to do is don’t leave anything in the camper you don’t mind loosing.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby coyote » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:47 am

I remove the two bolts holding the coupler/chains on, put them in the car. Nothing to hook to. I guess a roll back make could it all mute.
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:36 am

A tilting trailer, like a Harbor Freight, has a single bolt and a single pin holding the tongue. Undo the bolt, pull the pin and the entire tongue comes off. Ta Da!

I'm not sure which is easier, a wheel or the tongue but either is cheap, easy and foolproof.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Protection