Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Foldable foamie hybrid trailer

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:40 pm

So glad you got her home! She looks amazing! Since you said "minimal damage I'm assuming there was "some?"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Michael, you are paying attention. Yes, there is damage from tie-down webbing that was put over roof in the back. The roof ridge just crashed under the tie-down strip which was only 2" wide while the force from bouncing could be more than a whole loaded trailer weight. I used corner protectors, but they got loose and fell down due to the suspension leaf springs bouncing effect. Damage happened just a block away after trailer left home. The tie-down in the back was not really needed. I will repair it next time I do epoxy and lamination. Tie-down over the roof in the front lasted the whole trip without any damage.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:27 pm

I see... minimal but will take a little work! Well I'm just glad she's home. I'm looking forward to seeing you work on it again soon!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Thanks Michael. I figured I will have to work on her anyway as it is still considered a build, not a repair yet.. I had to do a lot of rework anyways with all these new ideas in my head, so this one really doesn't count that much :R ... Build on guys.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Very cool build. Yet another that I will reference a bunch for mine. You are certainly setting the bar pretty high for the rest of us to try to keep up.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Nodrog » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 am

Hey OP- I saw you posted on my build thread, so I gotta ask, have you been able to get some work done on yours? Do you have any updates on this fantastic project? I am thinking it might be pretty wintry yet in your area...We have pretty mild winters here, very little freezing temps here this past winter, so I've been steadily putting in at least a few hours a day. I need to put up some pics on my thread, I spent a lot of hours making light drawers lately. Trying to keep the thing to the lowest weight. Hope you are doing well, let us know how the trailer is coming! Later....Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Nodrog wrote:Hey OP- I saw you posted on my build thread, so I gotta ask, have you been able to get some work done on yours? Do you have any updates on this fantastic project? I am thinking it might be pretty wintry yet in your area...We have pretty mild winters here, very little freezing temps here this past winter, so I've been steadily putting in at least a few hours a day. I need to put up some pics on my thread, I spent a lot of hours making light drawers lately. Trying to keep the thing to the lowest weight. Hope you are doing well, let us know how the trailer is coming! Later....Nodrog

Hey Nodrog - I am still settling in the new place, but slowly started working on the trailer. I had to improve on mechanical side of things and now working on interior, small things like where to create storage space and how it should look, how to make customized windows that will actually work etc., but they take time. Will post some pics when I have time. Cheers!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:48 pm

This weekend I did small progress with the build. Now, back wall is filled, still left a small opening for air ventilation (fans). Added trim to outside and inside for folding walls and front window. Did 1:10 scarfing on table saw with a jig made before to join the trim pieces. Will cover them in fiberglass.

Making and fitting the three front access doors that cover battery and propane tank compartments was a little bit tricky. I decided to fit the door frames (made of 3/4" and 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood) in place by leaving allowance for 3mm plywood skin. I cut and added reinforcements at the angles of the curve in front. It was not possible to do clamping except small wedges therefore PL Premium glue was used for the glue-up. Later will do a small 1/2" round over on corners. I used leftovers of stainless steel piano hinge, cut to 6 pieces and drilled additional holes. I will add skin to these doors and rib in the middle if required.

154276154275154274154273154272154271154270154269154268154267154266154265153999153998153997
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:14 am

Looking really great! I bet it feels good to be back building again! Your craftsmanship is outstanding. Keep moving forward!
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nodrog » Mon May 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Hey OP! Good to see you're out slaving away on the trailer! (and thanks Michael for bumping the thread, I missed the last update). The project is so neat and the design stylish,also! Looks like the storage compartments are designed to drain if they leak?
I will look back in the build journal, I forget how you are lifting the top...But anway, all looking really amazing, I think the interior will be very nice too! Keep it going! Later....Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Thank you guys. You keep me motivated, I really appreciate that. I wanted to share how the access doors completed with skins came out. Naturally due to organic shape of the doors, there was a little bit of twist to the frames. To preserve each individual twist for perfect door match I placed each frame on a solid flat surface (cast iron table saw top in my case) and fixed a little wedge with hot glue under a lifted corner to make all four corners steadily resting on the flat surface, but made sure that I carefully maintained the original, individual twist of every frame shape as they came out of the openings. Then I cut 3mm plywood to rough size, and glued it by pressing down to the frame with light duty staples. That immediately took care of the needed shape, just because it is based on a math of combined curvature of the door skin. Once you put staples, their geometry is individually fixed and due to the skin curvature, those doors are quite rigid. I made round corners by hole saw on a drill press and cut the little segmented shapes out on my table saw with a cross cut sled. Here is the dry fit result of doors before fiber glassing. I got the door build process photos accidentally deleted, but am trying to recover them and put them here if successful. Ordered 3 cam locks with same key, but not sure if I'll get them. If you have any suggestions for locks source I would appreciate you letting me know.

Nodrog, both left and right side compartments are intended to hold batteries and some distribution/fuse boxes. The battery trays have those lowered tabs that fit into these holes. I do not know if I want to completely seal these compartments, the batteries need ventilation. I may seal them only, but leave central compartment not sealed. The center (propane bottle compartment) has an opening in the floor at the bottom anyway so in case of any leaks, the propane will escape downwards.

Last edited by OP827 on Mon May 14, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Recovered some photos from the doors build process explained above. Could not find the one with staples on skin.. Sorry for somewhat poor resolution.

Last edited by OP827 on Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Restored photos from deleted on SD card with Recuva (free software), worked great. More process photos.

Lots of staples..

Glue squeeze out.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed May 16, 2018 6:07 am

Nice work! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks KC!

Today I did these doors glass lamination. I got an idea of using a dollar store gift wrap which is made of thin Mylar in lieu of peel ply. It took a little bit of care to place the film down and squeeze air bubbles, but it worked. I hope it will save time for the finishing because there will be no blush, the surface practically ready for fine sanding, primer and paint all in one lamination pass. It is also less mess once it is covered by Mylar, I could take away gloves and smoothed surface with plastic taping knife. Will report the result here once the epoxy is set..
OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals