Re: Personal hygiene

Postby pete49 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07 am

I use a folding shower tent to wash and dress. :thumbsup:
Pete
pete49
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:12 am

Diaper wipes and toilet tissues, sponge bath. Cup with water outside brush teeth.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby friz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:51 am

Wipes are awesome, but I some real hygiene with running water every few days. That being said, it can be a running stream or or a kwik shop bathroom. I ain't too picky. My wife on the other hand........

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:24 am

If I can't shower, then I usually use wipes to clean up before bed. In the morning I'll warm up a little water and get out a washcloth to clean up. There are also waterless soaps like the cetaphil daily cleaner that can be used. I'll brush my teeth with a cup of water, and even shave that way if the mood strikes.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Socal Tom wrote:If I can't shower, then I usually use wipes to clean up before bed. In the morning I'll warm up a little water and get out a washcloth to clean up. There are also waterless soaps like the cetaphil daily cleaner that can be used. I'll brush my teeth with a cup of water, and even shave that way if the mood strikes.
Tom
Same here, but sometimes I use mouthwash instead of water for my teeth, and I keep kitchen wipes stashed all around my trailer, and in my truck (and in all my other vehicles, too), so I can instantly clean up as I go. I started doing that when drag racing, where everything you touch is either smelly or greasy. And, I have been known to carry a spray bottle of Febreeze on trips, to "freshen up" my clothes when near campfires or such.
camp cleaning items.png
camp cleaning items.png (488.46 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
for when you must appear/smell better than when solo camping
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:21 pm

working on it wrote:
Socal Tom wrote:If I can't shower, then I usually use wipes to clean up before bed. In the morning I'll warm up a little water and get out a washcloth to clean up. There are also waterless soaps like the cetaphil daily cleaner that can be used. I'll brush my teeth with a cup of water, and even shave that way if the mood strikes.
Tom
Same here, but sometimes I use mouthwash instead of water for my teeth, and I keep kitchen wipes stashed all around my trailer, and in my truck (and in all my other vehicles, too), so I can instantly clean up as I go. I started doing that when drag racing, where everything you touch is either smelly or greasy. And, I have been known to carry a spray bottle of Febreeze on trips, to "freshen up" my clothes when near campfires or such.
camp cleaning items.png
for when you must appear/smell better than when solo camping

From the Clorox website

Can I use Clorox® Disinfecting Wipes as a hand wipe or for personal use?

Clorox's answer:

No. Clorox® Disinfecting Wipes should not be used for personal cleansing. Do not use them as baby wipes.

There are a lot of options available for wipes that are intended for use on skin.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Socal Tom wrote:...From the Clorox website

Can I use Clorox® Disinfecting Wipes as a hand wipe or for personal use?

Clorox's answer:

No. Clorox® Disinfecting Wipes should not be used for personal cleansing. Do not use them as baby wipes.

There are a lot of options available for wipes that are intended for use on skin.
Tom
  • I'm 67 years old, and have been exposed my entire life to now-banned chemicals of all kinds, from
  • 1) handsoaps and face cleaners with hexachlorophene (once common and recommended by doctors),
  • 2) industrial paints, solvents, and cleaners the EPA made our newspaper printing plant get rid of practically all our chemicals, long ago,
  • 3) automotive paints, solvents, and cleaners over the last 50+ years of working on, building and racing cars, and anything associated with them, I've used harsh chemicals so extensively, that I could just wash my hands with brake cleaner, and sometimes do.
  • Not to mention exposure to asbestos at work and on old car brakes, even as header wrap or muffler patches, back in the day, and suffering (as a life-long anti-smoker) from secondhand cigarette smoke everywhere (my entire family were chain-smokers, and all had emphysema, COPD, or lung cancer as a result). I've so far survived exposure to all of the above-listed hazardous substances, so a little disinfectant hand wipe (or kitchen wipe, for that matter...a minor difference to me) doesn't matter to me at all; I could probably bathe in the Clorox liquid from the wipes, and notice no adverse reactions...I'm probably impervious by now, or too far gone for it to matter. Don't follow my example, YMMV.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Microfiber towels are VERY compact compared to cotton. They also dry in 15 min on a nice day. They come from small wash cloth to bath towel size. Soak up water and are machine washable. Affiliate link
https://amzn.to/36xKm6h

For a body scrubber that does not absorbe water and is soft on the skin (sorry not sensual) I use these. One shake and they are dry. You have to apply soap to the skin then scrub since the sponge absorbs nothing. They have almost zero scrub power on pots pans and dishes. No mold no bacteria no does not absorb odor - not that I have any that someone else would not enjoy. Affiliate Link
https://amzn.to/2SRIfGm

https://amzn.to/2QHprXG

S hooks to hold toilet kit and prevent clothing from falling on disgusting floors in stall where no hooks are available Nothing like having clean undies fall into the primordial stew evolving on a scummy bathroom floor. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EN ... UTF8&psc=1

Tevas, Flip Flops or Crocks to keep me above the floor slime,

Small 12 volt to 120 AC inverter (Modified Sine) keeps the Norelco rotary shaver and the guests sex toys running as long as necessary. Check your fellow campers needs in advance to insure satisfaction and make sure you don't blow a fuse prematurely. Affiliate Link https://amzn.to/36mVEd7

If I am eating on the road, having dinner out before returning to camp etc. Or having breakfast on the road after blacktop camping at a rest area, I take (in my pocket) a small mesh bag with floss, toothbrush, and tiny microfiber towel into the bathroom and wash there to restore that fresh feeling again!

In more rustic environments - collapsible wash tub or bucket/ I have a water pump for the trailer sink and I can dip the hose into a bucket for a shower. via the sink hand sprayer when water is available.

Most wipes are not biodegradable. There is usually a plastic mesh in them to prevent your finger from poking through as you probe for cleanliness. The mesh does not bio degrade and does not belong anywhere - especially in nature. These are bio degradable and flushable if your lucky enough to have municipal plumbing or a septic tank. If not nature will eat them. They seem to have less cancer causing chemicals than others I have considered. They do the job and so far no accidental penetration issues (i.e. getting to know yourself in the biblical sense). https://amzn.to/2sMNxIl Affiliate link

=Cosmo
Last edited by Cosmo on Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 15 times in total.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby cajundood » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:59 pm

The "Standee" that I am currently building will have two brackets mounted on the roof in front of the entry door. I will bend a piece of 3/4" pex in a U shape to form a curtain rod. water will be supplied by the black 4" PVC pipe tank on the roof. The small sprayer nozzle from the kitchen sink will have enough hose to extend through the door for a shower head. My sink is basically a 8" stainless bowl with a 1/4" drain drilled into the bottom. This can drain to the ground as it is not black water or grey water.
Well thats the plan anyway........EVEN THO YOU'RE ROUGHING IT, YOU DON"T NEED TO SMELL LIKE IT.... :D
check the progress on my build......http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69081 :D
cajundood
Teardrop Builder

Postby PanelDeland » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Full beard- no shaving. Now at a campground, I use flip flops and a toity bag with the needful things at the campground facilities unless none are available. For camping primitive or road trips with roadside park overnighters, I'll spend a few bucks at the truck stop for a good shower when needed. In Tx I had a private campground where I could stroll 30 yards downstream and use the waterfall. It was just high enough to stand under and 65* year round so it was great in summer but you didn't get so hot and stinky you would need it often in winter. It was also spring fed about 6-8 ft from the waterfall. I'm also perfectly comfortable with a sponge bath in a tent if no other options and if you happen to run into a single lady, you just wash each others parts that you can't reach on your own. ;)
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby Pinstriper » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Dollar store carries these Crest single-use toothbrushes, come in two-packs. Has a small brush head with toothpaste already on it, and a toothpick side as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:52 am

Cosmo wrote:Microfiber towels are VERY compact compared to cotton. They also dry in 15 min on a nice day. They come from small wash cloth to bath towel size. Soak up water and are machine washable.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... iber+towel

For a body scrubber that does not absorbe water and is soft on the skin (sorry not sensual) I use these. One shake and they are dry. You have to apply soap to the skin then scrub since the sponge absorbs nothing. They have almost zero scrub power on pots pans and dishes. No mold no bacteria no does not absorb odor - not that I have any that someone else would not enjoy.
https://www.amazon.com/Amhii-Antibacter ... onge&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Clean ... one+sponge

S hooks to hold toilet kit and prevent clothing from falling on disgusting floors in stall where no hooks are available Nothing like having clean undies fall into the primordial stew evolving on a scummy bathroom floor. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EN ... UTF8&psc=1

Tevas, Flip Flops or Crocks to keep me above the floor filth,

If I am eating on the road or having dinner out before returning to camp etc. Or hitting the road after blacktop camping at a rest area, I take a small mesh bag with floss, toothbrush, and tiny microfiber towel and a few S-hooks into the bathroom and wash there to restore that fresh feeling again!

Small 12 volt to 120 AC inverter (Modified Sine) keeps the Norelco rotary shaver and the guests sex toys running as long as necessary. Check your fellow campers needs in advance to insure satisfaction and make sure you don't blow a fuse prematurely. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2 ... UTF8&psc=1

If I am eating on the road, having dinner out before returning to camp etc. Or having breakfast on the road after blacktop camping at a rest area, I take (in my pocket) a small mesh bag with floss, toothbrush, and tiny microfiber towel into the bathroom and wash there to restore that fresh feeling again!

In more rustic environments - collapsible wash tub or bucket/ I have a water pump for the trailer sink and I can dip the hose into a bucket for a shower. via the sink hand sprayer when water is available.

Most wipes are not biodegradable. There is usually a plastic mesh in them to prevent your finger from poking through as probe for cleanliness. The mesh does not bio degrade and does not belong anywhere - especially in nature. These are bio degradable and flushable if your lucky enough to have municipal plumbing or a septic tank. If not nature will eat them. They seem to have less cancer causing chemicals than others I have considered. They do the job and so far no accidental penetration issues (i.e. getting to know yourself in the biblical sense). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012J016EC/_e ... 39QO5XMXTP

=Cosmo

Well, this was the most interesting reply ever. Thanks Cosmo!
:)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks Becca,
I am always happy when mirth is met with a smile rather than pepper spray! :)

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Olddog1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:05 pm

A thread with some age on it but would like to add a hikers perspective. Some hikers like to say " embrace the funk". Then there is the old adage of "a skunk doesn't smell it's own hole" But there comes that time when the funk is too great and the smell is overwhelming. One of my fellow hikers, MAD777, came up with or borrowed a system we now call the MAD bath. Components are a quart ziploc, 1/2 a shamwow or microfiber towel and a few ounces of no rinse bath liquid. 1/2 a ziploc of water + bath liquid + private place in the woods. Wash, scrub with wet towel. Pour remaining liquid over head/ hair and wipe wash again. Wring out towel and begin drying. Don some clean fresh clothing and climbing into bed or hammock in our case is a pure pleasure.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby daveesl77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:55 am

We have one of those "tent style" tall, thin shower/changing rooms. We have a Triton 5L on demand propane waterheater. It can run from either pressure water or from the 12v pump system. We use those 2x2' foam interlocking squares for the floor.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion