What would you.do with an extra 2'x3' interior space?

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

What would you.do with an extra 2'x3' interior space?

Postby Baldy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:07 pm

We're in the early stages of renovating a mid-60s 14' Phoenix (probably a Rally Sport). It's got lots of water damage and various half-arsed "repairs", so we're tearing the whole thing apart.

We decided to ditch the bathroom altogether. So that leaves us with a roughly 2' by 3' space, floor to ceiling. This will be our first camper (long time tent campers), so I'm not sure what we might want.

So, if you had a 14' camper, and had some extra space, what would you do with it? The entire interior will be gutted and rebuilt, so we'll have a blank slate to work with.

In the pic it's the right door. Left is a closet, dinette to the right.
Attachments
IMG_20170801_183012670.jpg
IMG_20170801_183012670.jpg (776.42 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
Baldy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: What would you.do with an extra 2'x3' interior space?

Postby working on it » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:01 pm

• Coincidently, I've already planned a 2'x3' expansion of my 4'x8' squareback TTT, if I can find a 6'x12' cheap enough for me to utilize.
  • blueprint for HHR-V MAXIMUS v3 3l x 2w (extra space on 6x12 frame).jpg
    blueprint for HHR-V MAXIMUS v3 3l x 2w (extra space on 6x12 frame).jpg (183.53 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
    planned for, but not likely to get to build expansion
  • I would transfer everything I have now on my 4'x8', and make it a 6'x 11' (the extra 12" would be at the rear, to have a built-in workspace for my cooking). At this time, after arriving at camp, I must assemble a cooking area away from the galley -used as storage only, now, for lack of space-; the extra 12" would give me room enough for a cookstand there (I already have built one).
  • knock-down cooking stand.png
    knock-down cooking stand.png (431.33 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
    currently used beside trailer, anchored thru eyebolts on frame
  • You stated
    Baldy wrote:We decided to ditch the bathroom altogether.
    I would like to incorporate one in my expansion, just the opposite of your wish. That's the #1 regret I have after using my trailer for four years (with lack of interior storage space as #2). At my age, I've found a need for a restroom facility more frequently at night, so one inside would be preferable to climbing out in inclement weather. An odor-less composting type porta-potty would be used, next to a door, to be hidden in a wooden enclosure that could double as a seat.
  • I like my trailer's appearance basically as-is, and I think its' elongation, and widening would add to it, looking longer-lower (apparently only, at 85% of the "golden ratio")-wider. It could be single axle, using my current trailers 3500 lb Dexter axle, or tandem axle, maybe with two 2000 lb braked axles, my braked Dexter and a non braked 3500 lb idler axle, or with both 3500 lb axles having brakes. I've done other variations on this theme:
  • Bruder-inspired variations of the HHR-v.png
    Bruder-inspired variations of the HHR-v.png (696.45 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
    different variants with different looks
  • Since my trailer cabin is bolted and screwed to the frame, I would have to grind off the fasteners from below the floor, cut the trailer cabin just behind the front door, lift and transfer the front portion directly onto the new frame (should be do-able by for four people). The disconnected rear portion would be slid off the 4x8 trailer rearward, onto hydraulic jackstands (with 2"x 2" angle iron resting on top of the saddles). After the 2'x3' extension is already added to the forward piece, then the new trailer will be backed up, to accept the rear original structure. Any discrepancies in matching up the walls, roof and floor will be addressed at that time, but shouldn't be impossible to do. Tonguebox will be moved separately, and spare wheel can remain where it is now (but also removed, and reattached later).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Baldy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:22 am

Wow, that looks like an interesting project!

On the side opposite our bathroom we have what's supposed to be a kitchenette, and we'll be converting it back to that (sink, stove, microwave below). In the enormous pic above (sorry, was posting on mobile), the hole on the left will be a window a/c unit, and below that will be a mini fridge.

We've always camped at state parks that have bath houses, and have never had any problems using them. The only time a toilet would be nice is the middle of the night, for my wife. We have a porta potty that we plan on using for such occasions, and will stash it in a cabinet, or get one of these. We've also discussed adding a tankless water heater and outdoor shower, with a shower wand and mounts for a temporary shower curtain on the side of the camper. This would also be nice for rinsing off after beach outings (most of our camping is on Florida coastlines). Reducing plumbing and interior waterproofing would be a nice benefit, too.

We considered how our choice might affect resale, then came to the conclusion that we got this for cheap, are rebuilding it for ourselves, and won't concern ourselves with resale for a long time.
Baldy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 2bits » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 pm

I'd have to second the bathroom but mine would be limited to the shower. I've owned two teardrops and several vintage campers and it is just super nice on a freezing morning to step out of bed in your warm camper and into a warm shower, an outdoor shower would be even colder than the bathhouse. Same thing for the summer although it's not so bad since you're just going to get all sweaty again anyway. Also, not have to play the... "keep the pants off the wet floor where some other guy just peed 15 min ago" dance and privacy and cleanliness is nice too. As far as the toilet, I'd just as soon let the park deal with the blackwater although it is probably a good idea for women folk and emergencies.

Obviously all that means nothing since you are removing the shower but you asked haha

If I already had a shower, I would consider a full stand up wardrobe, it just feels more like home to take a shirt off a hangar than pulling a wrinkled shirt out of a drawer.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:14 pm

Keep in mind that the cabinets and closets and rooms that are inside the camper are what gives it structure so I would not remove the walls and that invites flex and stresses the rest of the framing and you know how well these things are made hehe.. :thinking:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby dmb90260 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:44 am

I have a 15.5 ft Kenskill with a closet which I love after life in a teardrop. Once their trailers got extended by one foot the closet became a bathroom. A bathroom for a small person. I almost always stay in campgrounds or where there are facilities so I do not miss the bathroom. I do have a porta-potty and privacy tent should I need it.
I love my closet so much I would not hesitate to make your extra space into storage, You could also use part of it to install a small window a/c IF you vent it properly. Keeping an a/c inside will avoid issues that occur if one is hung out a window or on an insufficiently braced roof.
Don't want to do the a/c? Get a Fantastic fan for the ceiling vent since you have things taken apart already.

Closet...
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:42 am

Speaking of AC this maybe what you meant but you could easily fit an 11k btu portable unit in that spot with a stack of shelves on top
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby jandmz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:02 pm

My wife and I are spoiled by not having to go to the wash house in the middle of the night, and that dimension is just about right for a Thetford C4 cassette toilet. We had one in our popup, and it was really nice to have. The problem is that Thetford doesn't make the C2/C4 series any more, so the only source would probably be an RV salvage yard.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby Don L. » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Baldy- I'm wondering if you have rebuilt your camper interior yet?

I have a 14' camper, hitch to bumper, maybe narrower than yours, but I had just enough space to build a wardrobe between the bed and the entry door. It is more like 24"w x 18"d. It has 3 open shelves in the upper part and 3 drawers and one narrow hatch door at the wheel well at the bottom.

The shelves are where me (or all 3 wife and son) put our clothes bags and odds and ends. Floor space is at a premium and it's good to keep that free. Plenty of stuff lands on the bed and bunk of course and then there are pegs to hang things on anywhere it works.
The drawers are used for things like batteries/flashlights/misc, the bigger ones for blankets, towels, first-aid and such.

Here's a picture, the little hatch at the bottom is open. Since the wheel well is there it is only a 4" deep or so, so that's where I put extra drinks until they go into the cooler, it holds a little fire extinguisher and glow-sticks.
Attachments
camper wardrobe.jpg
camper wardrobe.jpg (251.91 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby Bezoar » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:20 pm

I like the little shelves next to the door! :thumbsup:
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves