Foamie hybrid with ribs and wheelchair accessibility...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie hybrid with ribs and wheelchair accessibility...

Postby Redneck Packrat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:14 pm

We did make it through, thanks for your concern :)

Obviously it wasn't ready for bugging out 3 weeks after my last post, so we rode it out about 10 miles from initial landfall. Kinda glad we didn't bug out...in hindsight, where would we have gone?

Blew the big doors off both ends of the barn my shop's in, took off about a quarter of the roof of the barn. Everything inside the barn looks like it went for a ride in the dust catcher of one of those cyclone vacuum cleaners! Didn't do anything to the camper though. It's still right where I left it.

As soon as we get recovered enough to where we're not shuffling buckets when it rains and all the trees are cut up and dealt with, I'm getting back on this thing. Still got a ways to go to get to that point though.
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:08 am

Glad you’re OK !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:14 am

GPW wrote:Glad you’re OK !!! :thumbsup:

Ditto.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Not exactly a “No - BURGER” … :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Redneck Packrat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:51 am

You're referring to my comment from about the 22nd? Yeah, I blew it on that one. I did call it a nothingburger that they were hyping.... although it DID take it until Thursday night/Friday morning to get all its fecal matter into one foot covering and turn into a big show.
Bill

Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:04 am

Bill, it was most distressing to watch that stupid storm just sit over you dumping all that rain … The more it rained the more we worried … Naturally , all the available pictures on TV were Horrific !!! :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Redneck Packrat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:45 am

We only got 9" of rain. BUT....we got the 12+ hours of over 100mph (and ~6 hrs of >130mph!) winds. It sat over us and BLEW AND BLEW. I know we had several of those mini-tornadoes come by as well, probably at a 100-130mph forward speed but blowing twice as fast inside. I could hear it in the winds blowing past the house, steady at a certain pitch, and then 5-10 seconds of insane acceleration, then back to "only" hurricane force. Port Aransas (11 miles up the road) looks like it's been bulldozed. Rockport looks almost as bad. Aransas Pass lost their water tower....well, they didn't lose it, it's laying right where Harvey put it! Lots of overhanging porches and cantilevered shade-providing extensions were flipped back or blown away. Across the street (upwind, at that) had their entire roof truss system come loose from the plate and lift enough to see daylight from the inside where crown molding should be. Not sure what kept it from flipping on off the house and coming over for a visit, but glad it decided to stay home. Funny thing is, he lost 3-4 tabs off the shingles and got NO WATER inside!

A lot of the fly-by-night salesman siding, you know, the stuff people used to go door-to-door to sell as a "property value enhancer"? A lot of that peeled off of houses, exposing the perfectly-preserved 105 type siding that got covered up by the slick, failed, used-car salesman types. It's getting pulled off and the 105 is making a comeback in this neighborhood as people realize that those houses that didn't get a new skin in the 80's and 90's are looking as good as ever. One neighbor made almost enough at the scrap yard selling his wadded up aluminum siding to pay for the materials to repair, caulk, and paint his 105!

I'm finally to the point of being able to address my own roof problems. Lost a whole lot of tabs and a few actual shingles, and have tarps stretched across the roof but that didn't keep this norther's rain out well enough. Been putting roofs on Mom's rent houses that in some cases lost even the sheathing. That comes first...the houses were/are occupied with good tenants. And they're understanding of my house being next as far as roof, before son and I go sheetrock their ceilings.

I'm going to take a moment to diss, dog, and condemn the Red Cross. Don't bother with them. Ever. Take any donation you might be thinking of giving them and go buy your own survival necessities. If you still have money left from your contemplated donation, buy more to pass to your neighbors. That way, people will get something out of your donation. I don't know of ANYONE in this area who NEEDED it that got that $400 "individual assistance" that they're touting as having made "available" to those impacted by Harvey. They set up huge tents in Corpus Christi, where they had maybe, MAYBE, 60 mph winds, and haven't yet been to Port A, which took nearly a 100% hit. And the setup for requesting that aid is laughable. Fill in a questionnaire on their website, (what do those who dont' have internet do??) and then wait for a text/email that they promise will be forthcoming within 24 hours. No confirmation sent to you that you submitted anything. Oh, and an admonishment to not submit multiple applications as that will slow them down. Then, up to A WEEK later, a denial text with no recourse except to re-apply. Then, they apologize for an "overwhelming response slowing them down and to please go reapply and you WILL get the aid"... but reapply by 10-10 and reapply only once or it'll (again) slow the system down. This time, the response is along the lines of 'your application is still pending and do not reapply', ON THE 9TH of October. They were having trouble verifying if we were in the damaged area, is their excuse. THE WHOLE DAMN ZIP CODE IS WITHIN 15 MILES OF LANDFALL!!! Bottom line is, they did NOTHING for Ingleside save pass out some short flat-nose shovels and garbage bags. Oh, and some crackers. Whooppee.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter. I didn't expect anything from outside the area, directly, as far as assistance, to the area, and so I wasn't disappointed. The generosity and caring gestures came from organizations completely unrelated and unaffiliated with governments. And yes, the state of Texas did come through with help for the municipalities and counties in the form of paying the bills for the outside cleanup help--brush trucks and etc.-- but the main direct help to individual people came from church groups and other true volunteers who gave of their time and pantries to come drive down here dragging trailers full of motley assortments of supplies and just hand 'em out as needed. For those folks, I'm truly grateful for their display of generosity and 'love thy neighbor' attitude.

Another big thumbs-up to the City of McAllen. They sent some of EVERY city department to help out and work with the city crews here....everything from police cars to fire trucks to water dept to street dept. It was like I went to bed in Ingleside and woke up in McAllen to see the markings on the city trucks leaving city hall in the mornings. Next time they experience a catastrophic event, our city fathers here BETTER be sending help. We owe it!

Enough novel. Going out in this 65 degree treat of an October morning and climb up on my roof with a tear-off shovel!
Bill

Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:51 pm

We all wish you a speedy recovery !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:39 pm

The Red Cross lost the money they got for Haiti.... http://www.npr.org/2015/06/03/411524156 ... iti-relief . I heard first responders stories about being in Haiti doing work and never seeing Red Cross anywhere. One person reported seeing a tent and they where handing out water, but that was it.

Give your money to something like Citizens Assisting Citizens. I know that their money is working to help people and they where there and are still there now helping people tear out drywall and such. http://www.cacteam.com/
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:54 am

Not to get too OT , why are people still using drywall, It’s obviously not a good product for wet or flood prone areas , yet builders persist in using this ???
The old plaster and lath walls would dry out and you could just hose them down ( still seen /used in many old houses here) … Surely there has to be a better material than sheetrock … ??? :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:55 am

being able to easily remove the sheetrock allows access to the inner structure for drenching w/ clorine bleach solution to kill the mold

in flood areas like Port Aransas where the water level only reached 3'± it is easy to cut the sheetrock @ the 4' line and remove it for treatment and drying out

replacement is simple w/ 4' wide material

IMHO w/ the plaster on metal lath construction the cost for opening up the wall structure for mold treatment would be way more costly and take way more time while requiring more highly skilled and higher paid workers to replace

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Redneck Packrat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 am

Chlorine doesn't kill mold. It simply inactivates it and makes it invisible, makes it go dormant. Moisture will revive it. So no point in going after it inside the walls with bleach.

I still haven't figured out what the big deal is with buildings getting wet anyway. Celia in 1970 ripped part of my folks' roof off, put ankle deep water inside the whole house. Took about six weeks before water stopped coming up between toes in the living room. No generator, thus no a/c. Just windows open and natural ventilation in humid environment until it finally dried. No mold, no health issues, then or later. Same carpet still in the room that the roof came off of (what was my bedroom and is now the room where my son, who helps his granny out, lives) and same sheetrock throughout the house. Dad finally replaced the other carpet in the house in like 2003.

Is this just another "sky is falling" ploy to scare people into spending spending spending? :? :?
Bill

Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby Redneck Packrat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Nothing about the camper (yet).... still working on other stuff thanks to Harvey. BUT.... I did get to meet Txbum and his better half this afternoon. Really nice people. They were passing through about 20 miles from me on the way to check on family, and so we met up at a Love's truck stop on hwy 77. He texted a cryptic "bring a small cooler". That got my curiosity going. Turns out he brought some sausage made at City Market in Schulenburg. Gonna eat some tomorrow!

Thanks, Txbum and good to meet you and MJ!
Bill

Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby Txbum » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:05 am

Hello Packrat Bill, was good to meet you! Later in December will be passing thru your area for about a weeks stay at my dads. Sure would like to go fishing at the jetty or along the sloughs between Aransas Pass and Port A. I always see people camped at the sloughs, having pop up canopy and tents for some shelter while fishing. I just want to get away and relax and if feeding the fish is all I do, I am still happy, catching just one fish will make my day. MJ is the fishing person man does she enjoy reeling them in!
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:07 am

Hi There Packrat,

Just read through your build. Amazing what you have created so far.. :thumbsup: Will be watching for updates on the build.
Know you have had your hands full with all the clean-up and repairs.

Here's hoping you and all your family doing well.. :)
David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies