First mock-up for non-traditional trailer

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

First mock-up for non-traditional trailer

Postby jdiebert » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here but I'm ready to jump into the pool head first. I've been wanting to get into a tiny trailer ever since I found it they were a thing. During my digging I've kind of fell in love with the Square-drop style. I like the simplicity of the square corners and additional space.

*example I found on Pinterest.

I've started creating a few mock-ups in SketchUp of a design I like and I'm just looking for some feedback. I've tried to keep the dimensions as accurate as I can with my limited knowledge but nothing is set in stone. I've looked up doors and windows used by actual builders and taken those measurements into my mock-up. Things that I have not considered in my mock-up are wall thickness, insulation, water tank and wiring. These will be included in version 2.

I'll admit I'm completely new with all of this and I have basically no experience building anything like this. However, my brother is excellent with metal and fabrication and works at an RV dealership. Also my father is a world-class woodworker. So I've got some good people in my corner who can help.

Thanks for reading

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Attachments
mockup v.2.png
mockup v.2.png (52.35 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
mockup v.2(2).png
mockup v.2(2).png (61.02 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
jdiebert
Teardrop Inspector

Re: First mock-up for non-traditional trailer

Postby jdiebert » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:33 am

I've already scraped that original design (was a wee bit amateurish). Will post an updated design soon.
jdiebert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 am

What are you planning for a trailer chassis?

I think your axle is way too far forward. You should have 60% of the trailer weight forward of the axle otherwise you're 'drop will bob and weave while towing.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jdiebert » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:01 pm

I was using a model from the SketchUp 3D warehouse. I've already scrapped and rebuilt it several times over.

Right now I'm looking at buying an old pop up trailer that's 6x8 so the design will likely change again.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
jdiebert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:36 am

There is a structural value to curves. The roof panel thats flat will sag and flex under much less load than one that is curved. Everybody's simplicity is different. I find less framing and thinner materials for equal strengtt simpler. Just a consideration.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby jdiebert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:01 am

Yea I've been going back and forth with that same thought. Do I go square or rounded. The more I look at other builds the more I lean towards a mix of the two. Right now with my current design I am doing an 18" curve at the front with a flat back (galley). Now having said that I may be getting an old tent trailer from a guy and it's a little larger than the HF and NT trailers a lot of builders use so we'll see how that alters the design.
jdiebert
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs