60/40 Rule Rocks

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: 60/40 Rule Rocks

Postby aggie79 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:22 pm

If you used the 60/40 rule backwards to build your trailer, can you hook up the trailer at the rear instead of the front and tow it that way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W5r7rrR_Mg

:? :roll: :thumbdown:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 pm

I finally got around to finding one of those skinny donut spare tires at the junk yard, $30 for a new looking Firestone spare.
The spare hangs down the same distance as the 2 batteries so it should be okay.
I've done this in the past on the TD's I've sold.
I bought this spare mount but had to use some extra lug nuts I had in my shop to mount it since that funky bracket hangs down too close the road.
Last time I'll buy that one as others have better configurations with included lug nuts.
I have this spare tire winch coming, so it should be easier to lift into place.
I'll still use the "U" bolt mount as I've read the winches let the tire drop in time.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby John61CT » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:34 pm

Hope you've got a steel plate under that batt, really should make up a full shield.

Real nasty when a rock punctures the bottom of your battery and leaves your '61 Beetle stranded out in the middle of the Simpson Desert.

Based on a true story
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:59 am

John61CT wrote:Hope you've got a steel plate under that batt, really should make up a full shield.

Real nasty when a rock punctures the bottom of your battery and leaves your '61 Beetle stranded out in the middle of the Simpson Desert.

Based on a true story

The battery trays are just fine, used them on 6 teardrops and never had a problem. :thumbsup:
We don't go boon docking with the teardrop.
Here's a picture of one. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby John61CT » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:21 am

Looks good, thought maybe just an angle iron hangar rig
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Camp4Life » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:16 pm

drhill wrote:dancam - I would think that there would be a self weigh scale somewhere in Nisku. Ask the next trucker you talk to.

Doesn't help you much, but in the Calgary area there is a self weigh just West of the Petrocanada at Hwy 1 and 22 and just South of the Petrocanada on Hwy 2 near Aldersyde. There are likely some self weighs in the Edmonton area too. The other option is the scale at the landfill, but it seems to me that is way East of Edmonton.

For anyone else in the Edmonton area, there's also one at the Flying J's truckstop in Sherwood Park just off of Hwy 16.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby kramergwt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:05 am

My teardrop current consists of a working trailer and deck with a water tank and pump installed. I made the decision to move the axle to the rear by about a foot in order to make sure there was sufficient space between the doors and fenders. Well, I used the trailer yesterday to go get 3 sheets of 3/4" birch ply wood to do the inner wall framing and that was a fairly heavy load I didn't really notice until I got home and disconnected the trailer (with load still on the trailer) how heavy the tongue had become with the axle moved back. I will be putting it back where it was originally. There was a little space between the fenders and the door. I just wanted a little more and there was no good place on the trailer to position the leaf spring attach points without going back a whole foot. Summary, when you do a complete custom design you will probably learn how good the decisions you made along the way end up being, and hopefully still be able to reverse the bad ones before something becomes permanent. ;)
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques