Trailer tires

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Trailer tires

Postby jschneib » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:19 pm

Newby here with questions about tires.

I recently bought a small, homemade teardrop wood trailer that came with 5.7-8 tires on 5 lug wheels. I believe the wheels are 5-115 bolt pattern. Considering installing some larger diameter wheels and tires to gain some ground clearance. The trailer is very light and won't be loaded very heavy.

I would Like to hear your thoughts on using a passenger car tire vs a trailer rated tire and going to the larger setup.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
jschneib
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trailer tires

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:16 pm

jschneib wrote:Newby here with questions about tires.

I recently bought a small, homemade teardrop wood trailer that came with 5.7-8 tires on 5 lug wheels. I believe the wheels are 5-115 bolt pattern. Considering installing some larger diameter wheels and tires to gain some ground clearance. The trailer is very light and won't be loaded very heavy.

I would Like to hear your thoughts on using a passenger car tire vs a trailer rated tire and going to the larger setup.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Radial passenger or light truck tires are great to run on single axle trailers. :thumbsup:

Trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls to take the abuse from twin axle trailers that put additional pressure on the side of the tire during a tight turn.

And the taller the tire, the smoother the ride on rough roads.

SB
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:39 am

a feature that has been plaguing folks running "ST" (trailer) specified tires is their 5 YEAR(from manufacture date) LIFE SPAN vs. auto tires which have a reasonable life span of 10 years +

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Padilen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:02 am

Are your hubs studs or holes? I ask because I used my 5 on 5 wheels to push my CTC in my pole barn. They are mounted on hubs with bolt holes. My CTC is 5 on 5 studs. They do not line up correctly. So you may need an adapter.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Goodyear is now making Endurance ST tires here in the US.
I used Micheline Harmony passenger tires, each of which has a load rating equal to the weight of the entire trailer after a number of folks here had catastrophic failures on grossly under loaded Chinese made tires.
Last edited by Shadow Catcher on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Goodyear is now making Endurance ST tires here is the US.

I put a pair of those Goodyear Endurances tires on my teardrop a few months ago. :thumbsup:
Their nice looking and perform as expected.
I also like the sidewall scuff guard feature.
They replace this Made in China Carlisle tire/tires :thumbdown: .
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby MtnDon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:I put a pair of those Goodyear Endurances tires on my teardrop a few months ago. :thumbsup:
Their nice looking and perform as expected.
I also like the sidewall scuff guard feature.
:D Danny

I liked the sidewall "guard" too. One reason I bought a pair as well.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby gudmund » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:24 pm

be warned out there when looking for Goodyear trailer tires -- I am still seeing a lot of the Chinese made 'trailer' Goodyear ones sitting on the tire racks in stock at the local W-M's and Camping worlds -- which tells me, there are probably still "a lot" of them out there in stock on other tire racks. Make sure you take a "real 'eye's on look" at what ever tire you are buying - look along the bead of all tires, it is written there where the tire was made. (in resent years, it has been shocking seeing the different country's I have seen where they are being made now - NAFTA - "Brand" names really mean nothing any longer being tire company's are owned by 'whomever' nowadays. Example: Bridgestone(Japan) owns Firestone - General is owned by Continental(Germany) - Cooper is owned by a company in India - etc., etc., etc..... Tire company's are like oil company's anymore - just names being put on items to make it look like there are more brands of something to sell - example Pennzoil/Quaker State Oil both being owned by Shell Oil/SOPUS - ARCO/Castrol Oil both are owned by BP-British Petroleum (an even better example of this would probably be car battery's - there are a total of 3 company's making battery's here in the states but umpteen different brands being sold out there - look at the W-M brand labeled batteries which are presently made by Exide who also makes NAPA's batteries - on and on................... also when looking at that bead on any tire you look at, look at the date it was made - it will be a 4 number oval shaped impression - first 2 ##'s are the week # of the year it was made - second 2 ##'s are the year made - example #0417, made 4th week of the year of 2017 and YES there can be a lot of 'OLD' tires sitting on tire racks out there being sold these days since the age of tires has become such a hot topic these last few years since the government has been talking about settings "age" limits on tires being sold. (the 5/10 years ordeal spoken about in the earlier e-mails here in this subject)
gudmund
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves