Losing Net Neutrality - non political

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Losing Net Neutrality - non political

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am

If you, your family, your friends use the internet, then you need to understand this! On December 14, the 5 member FCC regulatory committee will be voting to eliminate Net Neutrality. FCC Chairman Pai has started the process and the measure is expected to pass, 3 votes to 2. Doesn't matter which political party you agree with, the FCC destroying Net Neutrality will hurt you, hurt free speech and hurt democracy. Loss of it ONLY helps the Internet Service Providers and large companies. Contact your members of Congress and let them know that they MUST stop the FCC from overturning the Net Neutrality regulations. Why?

Why does this matter? Net Neutrality essentially says that the internet is a utility and is thus a basic structure of society. It says that internet providers must treat everyone the same. Take this example, if Net Neutrality were gone, the parent company of CNN gives huge sums of money to Verizon, Comcast, Brighthouse, Time-Warner, ATT. For that payment they get not only a really fast internet access and delivery but they also demand that the providers slow down and restrict access to Fox News. Or the other way around. Without Net Neutrality, that is perfectly legal and allowed. ISPs can limit access to any information or data. They could legally decide to not stream the NY Times or Breitbart or whatever.

Disney is starting their own streaming service and will be removing all Disney company products from services like Netflix, that is a done deal and is ok. But, without Net Neutrality, Disney could then, legally, take over the high speed side and force providers to put Netflix to the lower side. Who has more money? Disney.

Let's say you want to start an online shop that sells used car parts. Presently, you and everyone else has the exact same access to the internet. Strip away Net Neutrality and suddenly eBay and a few other big sites, because they have deep pockets, get the expensive, high speed delivery and you end up with something like dial-up delivery. Your potential customers aren't going to wait around for 10 minutes for a page to load, they'll go to someone else. Someone with more money and a faster website.

This isn't yelling "the sky if falling", this is reality. Getting rid of Net Neutrality does nothing to help the individual and only helps to line the pockets of the internet service providers, helps bigger outfits to harm smaller ones and can absolutely dramatically reduce your lines of information. We have less than 3 weeks to force Congress to stop the FCC.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Re: Losing Net Neutrality - non political

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:09 am

Agreed , from a financial standpoint, ISPs could charge Netflix or others higher fees, which then get passed to us. Or require we pay extra for social networking sites ( like this) . It will definitely cost us more money. The head of the FCC is a former Verizon Sr lawyer. Odds are he goes back there after this and gets a big payday.
Call you Representatives, especially if they are Republicans and voice your concerns.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:38 am

If my ISP decides to try to gouge me, I will just spend that money on a VPN service and bypass their throttling altogether. I am planning to move early next year and the ISP in that area has already posted a notice that they will not change anything in their current service so I hope they keep with that plan.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby MtnDon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Followthe money. If someone figures they can make more $$ they will.....
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:06 pm

MtnDon wrote:Followthe money. If someone figures they can make more $$ they will.....
I don't believe anything can be done about it...it's already been bought and paid for by the corporate set, just as everything is. Political figures are just for show, now, to fool the people and entertain the elite, and all decisions are handed to them by big money. But, if I'm wrong, and the decision for net neutrality can be arrived at by democratic process, then they'll figure another way to satisfy their rapacity for taking our money from us.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:22 pm

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/11/t ... n-internet

Big red button to leave your elected representatives voicemails.

Donate, lots of ongoing battles to keep the net open.

Can you believe someone appointed Ajit Pai a top lawyer for Verizon as chair of the FCC? Fox to guard us chickens indeed.

Join nationwide protests Dec 7 outside your local Verizon store

http://verizonprotests.com/
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jondbar628 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:26 pm

money talks, ala the keystone pipeline & imminent domain over private land-owners........of the people, by the people, for the people is long gone - especially the "for the people".........jd
Sorry to include political view, may be the alcohol talking out of turn. (it IS Tday eve, after all)
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Bill n Robi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:21 am

Nice article, not everyone is going to sit back and watch.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wi ... 450602eaa5

Link in article to see if your state has been bought by the ISP lobby
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... 20-states/
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Oliver brilliant as usual

https://youtu.be/fpbOEoRrHyU
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:43 pm

Sorry, I can’t get on this bandwagon.

You want the same service as larger companies who pay more? Pay more and you will get more. No one works for free and equipment costs money. You cannot expected to use more equipment and more man hours to support that equipment, but pay less.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:02 pm

The point is that it is and should always be the consumer paying for the delivery of the bitstream.

Bits are bits and must be treated equally.

The ISPs are just a delivery utility, giving them the discretion to also charge the content publishing websites, to discriminate between sources and protocols, is granting them the power to actual shape the internet, which they should not have.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:18 am

jstrubberg wrote:Sorry, I can’t get on this bandwagon.

You want the same service as larger companies who pay more? Pay more and you will get more. No one works for free and equipment costs money. You cannot expected to use more equipment and more man hours to support that equipment, but pay less.

I pay for 50mb/s bandwidth. Whether I watch Netflix, or Hulu shouldn’t matter. Under the new rules if my isp creates a competitor to Netflix, they can slow Netflix, or even block it. If my isp decides they don’t like Fox News, they can block the site. That’s what this is about, not whether they can charge more for greater bandwidth.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:47 am

Actually it is, but about the ISP being allowed to charge the **website** or app service for that faster bandwidth.

Even if blocking is banned, the ability to differentiate at all by protocol or source is the power to stifle competition, choose winners and losers.

Like the power to tax is the power to destroy.

That first part is 100% correct, all that needs to be said.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NotJammer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:47 am

On my other forum, admins would never allow this thread.

As a child of the 60's I remember "Turn on, tune in, drop out".

I propose, Turn off, tune out, drop in.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:37 pm

working on it wrote:I don't believe anything can be done about it...it's already been bought and paid for by the corporate set, just as everything is.

Yup.
:x
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Off Topic