2017 Ford F150 XL+

All about towing and tow vehicles

2017 Ford F150 XL+

Postby NotJammer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:33 pm

I lived in Chicago until April 2017. No 4 wheel cage for 5 years. Sold my condo and I was free. The next day I bought a 2017 F150 XL with tow package and more. I had planned on buying a base model as I always do. The 2001 Ram 1500 I showed earlier here, was one. No options, no AC, stick shift, wind up windows. I prefer base cars. Bought my share over the decades.

This time I wanted a Ford pickup. I Dyno tested Ford engines for years as a Tier 1 supplier. I liked the 4.6 best. So F150 it was. Then I studied online, afterward, I went to a dealer that had a good selection of Base XL. Finally, I picked 3, one was a no option base 2016. Two were 2017. I told the salesman to give me his bottom price on the 3. Then we drove all 3. Actually, I made him drive so I could look and listen. As a former mechanic, I can sense a lot from the passenger seat and not worry about traffic. I gave him no clue to what I liked. We went back to his office and made a deal. Pick it up the next day.

I have never bought such a fancy thing! I am still impressed. BTW, I rented cars for 5 years and made a point of driving many different cars. All new, many horrible.

I have no family to carry, so a Regular cab, long bed, 2X4. White and black. I added a Bed Rug and Leer's biggest cap which made it ride better empty. I can also sleep in it and not hit my head. The cap improved mileage. As the cap has lots of windows I can see what's coming from the right side. Leer paint almost matches...

Options.
Tow Package: Brake controller, Trans cooler, Power Tow Mirrors, Class 3 hitch and wiring, Backup helper, Rear camera to line up hitch ball (a big help) HD Front swaybar.
3.73 Electric Locker axle, good when stuck, or drag racing, tall gears are good for towing. I never race.
36-gallon gas tank. I love this.
Payload helper springs, they add to load capacity. I can legally tow 10.5K. The trailer is rated 7K. I aim for a 4K trailer. It's 2K empty.
Radio with Sync 1 which makes my iPhone run on the radio. A cell phone has replaced separate GPS. Ford makes a better radio, Sync 3 but Sync 1 is way good enough for me. Power windows and locks, a stupid OE alarm which I keep turning on by bumping my pocket. First car with an alarm. Bah Humbug. I'm cutting a wire soon.
A Base XL has no carpet. Great, I prefer rubber floor, I wanted vinyl seats but too hard to find. I think the 'fabric' is plastic. It drains dry real quick.
Almost forgot. 2.7L Ecoboost engine on 6-speed auto. As a former engine tester, this engine really impresses me. Almost too much. Easy on the pedal or it goes! Yes, all mechanics say buy the 5.0L. I have always been a gas miser and bought many small engines. Ever seen a base 6 cylinder 3 speed Camero without radio, AC or any option. $3495 in 1975. Fun car. I put a 4 speed and Corvette wheels on it.
Back to the F150 TV. Steel wheels which I prefer. Michelin tires are the best anywhere. Made in USA. Better.
Last is the hitch. The F150 is mostly aluminum and the trailer is all aluminum so I bought a Weigh Safe aluminum height adjustable hitch. It has a built-in hitch weigh scale, so I can set tongue weight at 10 to 15% as I also haul heavy cargo in it.

I tow 15% of the time. 13,000 miles now on the F150. Including towing I got just over 20 MPG since new. Towing drops to 11 to 14 MPG. With the trailer weighing 3K I had to floor it once. It spit black soot and leaped forward at 65 MPH, easily getting out of a lane squeeze.

A F150 is not a F250, it drives and rides like a car. A tall car, yet not as rough as any 3/4 Ton I have driven. Very smooth ride and always fun to drive. I think I matched TV to CV well and still have a vehicle I can use daily. I get up to 25 MPG empty without trailer. That's real darn good. My VW Buses never got over 19 MPG and I had 5 of them. My 1999 Ford Van with 4.6 usually got 16 MPG on the road. In city it was expensive...

I don't buy 4X4 as I never want to get stuck that deep. I can get a 2X4 stuck far into the back of beyond.

Ever try walking out of the Chocolate Mountain Aerial Gunnery Range?
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Re: 2017 Ford F150 XL+

Postby Tripmaker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:24 am

NotJammer wrote:I lived in Chicago until April 2017. No 4 wheel cage for 5 years. Sold my condo and I was free. The next day I bought a 2017 F150 XL with tow package and more. I had planned on buying a base model as I always do. The 2001 Ram 1500 I showed earlier here, was one. No options, no AC, stick shift, wind up windows. I prefer base cars. Bought my share over the decades.

This time I wanted a Ford pickup. I Dyno tested Ford engines for years as a Tier 1 supplier. I liked the 4.6 best. So F150 it was. Then I studied online, afterward, I went to a dealer that had a good selection of Base XL. Finally, I picked 3, one was a no option base 2016. Two were 2017. I told the salesman to give me his bottom price on the 3. Then we drove all 3. Actually, I made him drive so I could look and listen. As a former mechanic, I can sense a lot from the passenger seat and not worry about traffic. I gave him no clue to what I liked. We went back to his office and made a deal. Pick it up the next day.

I have never bought such a fancy thing! I am still impressed. BTW, I rented cars for 5 years and made a point of driving many different cars. All new, many horrible.

I have no family to carry, so a Regular cab, long bed, 2X4. White and black. I added a Bed Rug and Leer's biggest cap which made it ride better empty. I can also sleep in it and not hit my head. The cap improved mileage. As the cap has lots of windows I can see what's coming from the right side. Leer paint almost matches...

Options.
Tow Package: Brake controller, Trans cooler, Power Tow Mirrors, Class 3 hitch and wiring, Backup helper, Rear camera to line up hitch ball (a big help) HD Front swaybar.
3.73 Electric Locker axle, good when stuck, or drag racing, tall gears are good for towing. I never race.
36-gallon gas tank. I love this.
Payload helper springs, they add to load capacity. I can legally tow 10.5K. The trailer is rated 7K. I aim for a 4K trailer. It's 2K empty.
Radio with Sync 1 which makes my iPhone run on the radio. A cell phone has replaced separate GPS. Ford makes a better radio, Sync 3 but Sync 1 is way good enough for me. Power windows and locks, a stupid OE alarm which I keep turning on by bumping my pocket. First car with an alarm. Bah Humbug. I'm cutting a wire soon.
A Base XL has no carpet. Great, I prefer rubber floor, I wanted vinyl seats but too hard to find. I think the 'fabric' is plastic. It drains dry real quick.
Almost forgot. 2.7L Ecoboost engine on 6-speed auto. As a former engine tester, this engine really impresses me. Almost too much. Easy on the pedal or it goes! Yes, all mechanics say buy the 5.0L. I have always been a gas miser and bought many small engines. Ever seen a base 6 cylinder 3 speed Camero without radio, AC or any option. $3495 in 1975. Fun car. I put a 4 speed and Corvette wheels on it.
Back to the F150 TV. Steel wheels which I prefer. Michelin tires are the best anywhere. Made in USA. Better.
Last is the hitch. The F150 is mostly aluminum and the trailer is all aluminum so I bought a Weigh Safe aluminum height adjustable hitch. It has a built-in hitch weigh scale, so I can set tongue weight at 10 to 15% as I also haul heavy cargo in it.

I tow 15% of the time. 13,000 miles now on the F150. Including towing I got just over 20 MPG since new. Towing drops to 11 to 14 MPG. With the trailer weighing 3K I had to floor it once. It spit black soot and leaped forward at 65 MPH, easily getting out of a lane squeeze.

A F150 is not a F250, it drives and rides like a car. A tall car, yet not as rough as any 3/4 Ton I have driven. Very smooth ride and always fun to drive. I think I matched TV to CV well and still have a vehicle I can use daily. I get up to 25 MPG empty without trailer. That's real darn good. My VW Buses never got over 19 MPG and I had 5 of them. My 1999 Ford Van with 4.6 usually got 16 MPG on the road. In city it was expensive...

I don't buy 4X4 as I never want to get stuck that deep. I can get a 2X4 stuck far into the back of beyond.

Ever try walking out of the Chocolate Mountain Aerial Gunnery Range?
I heard early on that the Eco Boost engines had a problem with intake valves fouling up. Do you know if Ford as fixed this issue. Generally I hear good things about the 2.7 EB. I am presently restoring a 1962 Airstream Safari 22' and will be looking to upgrade my 2007 Ridgeline to a F150. I'm on the fence about either the 2.7 or the 5.0 generally preferred by mechanics. I live in snow country and wonder if I would regret buying a 2x4, your thoughts? Sounds like you bought a nice truck.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby NotJammer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:28 pm

I have read of the Direct Injection valve fouling. I'm not worried about it.

I highly suggest you drive both a 2.7 and a 5.0. It depends on your usage. If you haul all the time, buy 5.0 I don't tow 85% of the time. My truck is often empty, or lightly loaded with bulky things. I love to try to get the most out of every gallon, always have. I drive very conservatively. I try not to use my brakes, I coast as much as possible and try to start out slow. But the 2.7 rolls right up to any speed real quick and without the boost needed. I also vastly prefer quiet exhaust. The 2.7 is very quiet and has a low moan that I like. Lot's of people like V-8 sounds and change to a louder muffler. Which may not improve performance btw. Just noise.

I ride a 1997 Harley Sportster with stock mufflers. It's quiet too.

I used to buy 4 wheel winter tires for my 2X4's, now I am almost out of the snow belt and will not drive on any snow or salt. I'll wait until spring. Really.

2018 F150 Ecoboost engines have a "snow" switch for the trans. That might be a good thing, as when the boost hits, it hits. I assume snow mode calms the beast down a bit. Earlier models don't have it. I use Tow/Haul mode mostly and particularly in hill country.

I expect gas to rise in price within a year.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby Tripmaker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:55 pm

NotJammer wrote:I have read of the Direct Injection valve fouling. I'm not worried about it.

I highly suggest you drive both a 2.7 and a 5.0. It depends on your usage. If you haul all the time, buy 5.0 I don't tow 85% of the time. My truck is often empty, or lightly loaded with bulky things. I love to try to get the most out of every gallon, always have. I drive very conservatively. I try not to use my brakes, I coast as much as possible and try to start out slow. But the 2.7 rolls right up to any speed real quick and without the boost needed. I also vastly prefer quiet exhaust. The 2.7 is very quiet and has a low moan that I like. Lot's of people like V-8 sounds and change to a louder muffler. Which may not improve performance btw. Just noise.

I ride a 1997 Harley Sportster with stock mufflers. It's quiet too.

I used to buy 4 wheel winter tires for my 2X4's, now I am almost out of the snow belt and will not drive on any snow or salt. I'll wait until spring. Really.

2018 F150 Ecoboost engines have a "snow" switch for the trans. That might be a good thing, as when the boost hits, it hits. I assume snow mode calms the beast down a bit. Earlier models don't have it. I use Tow/Haul mode mostly and particularly in hill country.

I expect gas to rise in price within a year.
I drive pretty conservatively as well. At 67 my hot footing is over. I tow quite a bit but the Airstream will only weigh in at about 3,500 lbs loaded. I'm thinking the 2.7 would do better in the mountains out west with the turbo making up for the thin air. I will drive both but sound isn't a biggie for me, quiet is better. Thanks for your insight.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby MatTech » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:58 pm

All direct injection engines can suffer from intake valve fouling. I have done a LOT of research on this and other subjects surrounding the EcoBoost engines. I just purchased a high mileage 2016 XLT F 150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost and I will be checking my valves for buildup soon.

Lucky for our OP Ford completely redesigned the 3.5 EcoBoost for 2017 and it is now a dual injection motor so no more problems with carbon buildup on the valves. I really wanted to wait till next year to get a 2017 but my current TV a Ford Ranger just can't do what I need it to do so we pulled the trigger on a 2016.

All the other problems with the EcoBoost engines have been solved at this point (intercooler condensation, cam phasers causing timing chain slack) and the 2017 is even more powerful!

OP: congrats on your new truck, I know you will love it. I just drove mine home over 600km and am already in love.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
MatTech
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles