6X12 SS&S

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6X12 SS&S

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:50 pm

McDave wrote: I do like the high privacy windows.
Very stealthy from the outside. ... 8) ...
McDave

Haha, yeah, they are a little hard to see out of too. :lol: I have been holding off cutting the skin until I get the final 1/4" on the inside that
is needed for the window frames to clamp properly. Like I have said before, these things are puzzles and there is a very specific order of assembly.
And obviously, no instructions (wouldn't have it anyother way!) It does however, require a lot of thought and planning.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:09 pm

I had these bare wires that needed covering. I scratched my head
for a while before deciding to grab a 2X4 and whip this little block out.

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby FlyBye » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:30 pm

"You da Man!" ... Looks great, if I could only come get ya to do some finish work on my trailer... :-) I've still got dangling wires on my rig that need some attention! I'm considering some crown molding up top that will conceal some of the wiring and allow a rope light to reflect off the ceiling... we will see, everything on the trailer always looks better in my day-dreams!
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:29 pm

FlyBye wrote:"You da Man!" ... Looks great, if I could only come get ya to do some finish work on my trailer... :-) I've still got dangling wires on my rig that need some attention! I'm considering some crown molding up top that will conceal some of the wiring and allow a rope light to reflect off the ceiling... we will see, everything on the trailer always looks better in my day-dreams!

Thanks, But I tell ya, I get a little frustrated with finish work, too tedious and time consuming. I am to the point where I am sacrificing some of the things I had originally planned in order to get finished. I hear you on the dangling wires. I have delt with them from the beginning and will be about the last thing I finish up. Hopefully get the switches mounted this week. As for daydreaming, 10% working 90% daydreaming that's how I roll. ;)
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby jr9744 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Plumbing looks great!! You've reminded me to put a valve before my toilet.

Nice creativity on covering up that wire. I'm guessing you used a router for the nice edges? I've been contemplating buying one, they make things look great.
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:22 am

Iconfabul8 wrote: As for daydreaming, 10% working 90% daydreaming that's how I roll. ;)

Ditto!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 am

But you do top notch work in the 10% of the time! I'd like to have some of those precision Iconfabul8'tor skills!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:35 am

jr9744 wrote:Plumbing looks great!! You've reminded me to put a valve before my toilet.
Nice creativity on covering up that wire. I'm guessing you used a router for the nice edges? I've been contemplating buying one, they make things look great.

Thanks, I do love my router, but on this little block I just hit it quick on the belt sander.

flboy wrote:But you do top notch work in the 10% of the time! I'd like to have some of those precision Iconfabul8'tor skills!

Thanks Don, All it takes is an unhealthy dose of OCD, be ridiculously slow and methodical to the point it drives everyone around you completely nuts.

Ok, doing things backwards today! I am posting a pic of the end result. Then a few how I done it pics.
Finally finished the walls, excluding window, Television, and fold up table.
We'll see how many times I rub my bare leg against that cold tin before it gets replaced with carpet. Haha

I would have run the power to this wall in the beginning if I had known what I was doing with it.
Calculated where the high spot on the corrugated tin was, so I could drill a hole thru the baseboard and floor.
Also routered a slot for the wire to pass under the chair rail.

Wire is up thru the floor, under the tin, and in the slot.

Tin and Chair rail done!

Built these blocks for the switches because I did not want to mess around trying to recess them.

Light switch blocks are glued and screwed.

Switches done! Notice the ceiling lights are on, whoo-hoo!
Lights in order: Ceiling, Porch, Front Cargo, Rear Loading

This might be a little helpful hint. These plastic moldings were in the way of the aluminum corner trim.
After marking where the trim would hit, I used the ole angle head grinder to cut away the molding.
this pic is after one swipe. I carefully took a few more passes till it was flush with the ceiling.
Last edited by Iconfabul8 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:25 am

Awesome work as usual. That looks great. I really like the aluminum look for the paneling! Unless you have a cabinet or interior wall, it is very difficult to recess the switches. The blocks you made to stand off are very nice.

Have you been using the trailer much?

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby BigDave_185 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Very informative build thread. Glad I read all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby PigTrail » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Great looking build. Would it be possible to get a few photos of your propane lines under the trailer and bottle hookup? I'm about to run mine in a few weeks and want to make sure I have a clear picture in my head before starting.

Thanks!
Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby sodatrain » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:24 pm

woooooow. Just read almost the whole thread and it's incredible. love the tin too! :shock: :shock: :shock:
--
My 7x7x14 Tandem Axel build thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69731
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:41 am

Thanks guys. PigTrail, we have 8" of snow trying to melt off, give me a day or so and I will get a pic or two of the gas pipe.
Don, trailer is all winterized and I probably won't move her till spring. You never know tho, l might get fed up with winter and take a trip south. :snowstorm: Warmer weather is only 50 miles south of us. :relaxing:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:00 pm

PigTrail wrote:Great looking build. Would it be possible to get a few photos of your propane lines under the trailer and bottle hookup? I'm about to run mine in a few weeks and want to make sure I have a clear picture in my head before starting.
Thanks!

The copper pipe is a painted black pipe that I welded a flange onto to bolt to the floor.

Sorry the pics are a bit fuzzy. I put a T on the first joint to allow a furnace hook up eventually.

I attached to the front cross member with a strap clamp.

Out the front I put a T for an aux (bbq etc.) Elbowed up and there you have it.
The only anchors are the flange to the floor and the U strap on the crossmember.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Got my inverter all hooked up! I originally had a 150 watt modified sine wave to run the hot water heater which requires a small amount of AC, but I got a little spooked. I didn't want to risk the electronics in a $350 water heater over a few dollars more for a small pure sine wave inverter. So I took advantage of the few extra watts and made it so I can run the tv and plugs along the door side (over table). I actually made the water heater, tv, and plugs, switchable between inverter and shore power, notice the DPDT switch next to the outlet.

Also did a little testing. I took a 250 watt heat lamp that drew 2.3 AC amps on the bench (2.3 X 120 = 276 watts,) plugged it into the inverter and it pulled 27 DC amps. So I now know my limit in watts and amps, since I have a 30 amp fuse on the inverter. Can't imagine I will ever draw that much tho. Mainly I just want to be able to shower without going outside to start the generator.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-300w- ... erter.html

Iconfabul8
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions