Floor Insulation

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Floor Insulation

Postby gbowman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 pm

I will admit I wasn't convinced that I would need to do something about this. I have insulated the walls and ceiling 1.5In.
And It may not continue to be a problem but wanted everyone's input.
Its about 23degrees outside right now and there is about a 15-17degree difference from the top of a TV tray to the floor of my trailer. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer that I can use to tell the difference.
I originally planned to at put some insulation under nether in-between the cross beams. Time and money has halted this project.
I currently have to stay in the trailer 3-4 nights a week. I really don't have time to do a lot.
I thought about using something on the inside on the floor. Any thoughts on material and how much?
Garth
gbowman
Teardrop Builder

Re: Floor Insulation

Postby hankaye » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:21 am

gbowman, Howdy;

One quick fix is to get a throw rug to cover the walking area and a fan,
your choice to circulate the air.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Jameson and a high fat diet helps, well, EVERYTHING! Keep heat source as low as possible. Rug should help, carpet remnant and foam padding maybe? Wrap something, anything around the outside as a skirt. White plastic film if trailer is white, white duct tape to the trim at floor level, don't want to agitate the HOA. Hold down with 2 x something and staples. You really have to stop exchanging the air under the floor.
Doors and ramps are HUGE cold holes. I would tape all the way around the rear ramp or door, floor to top, inside and out. Do whatever you can to improve the "man" door seals. Get ya some of those moccasin/ slippers with the sheeps wool inside. They are great inside. A chubby girl can be nice to have around... Just sayin'... Or an electric blanket, your choice.
Hope this helps.

McDave

PS. Better tough up some, too. It's not really cold till it's been minus 40 for a month or two. Then you wanna be sure to wear some gloves and maybe a stocking hat too if it is windy. That's how we do it in Montana anyway....
McDave
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Did you consider interlocking floor mats made of foam, cost about 1$/sq.ft, they can be foam surface or covered in carpet-like surface.
HD or other stores could carry them, they come in various finishes, even hardwood or travertine.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby gbowman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:47 pm

hankaye wrote:gbowman, Howdy;

hank

I am using a fan it makes a big difference. BTW it works way better on the floor blowing up instead of blowing from the ceiling. At least to warm the floor. Rather surprised about that.
gbowman
Teardrop Builder

Postby gbowman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Dave,
I like your idea's as well. I may have to do the skirt thing. Just want it to look good also. Does it matter if the skirt is insulated or are we just trying to stop the air movement?
gbowman
Teardrop Builder

Postby gbowman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:57 pm

OP827,
I had thought about that also. I didn't know they made them with different type finishes. I have an old movers blanket beside the bed on the floor. It helps.
I'm thinking the foam with some carpet of some sort would be a pretty good insulator.
gbowman
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:48 am

gbowman wrote:Dave,
I like your idea's as well. I may have to do the skirt thing. Just want it to look good also. Does it matter if the skirt is insulated or are we just trying to stop the air movement?

Well, in a perfect world.... Insulation couldn't hurt but just stopping or even slowing the airflow down there should make a big difference in a hurry. I don't know of any ready made solution but something similar to material that was used for water heater tank blanket would be handy to find. It was fiberglass insulation glued to a white plastic film. Maybe just get a few of those and cut em' down? If you had 24" strips that should reach the ground from floor level. You would need about 36'-40' x 24" so you would need about 3 or 4 of these cut down.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buildin ... TwodpDIKyw
And then maybe some lathe strips to attach to trailer, and some 2x2's layed out in the shape of the floor directly under the floor to staple to and hold yer skirt down.
Where are you located? Is this cold spell likely to last for a while? There is a chance if you are sealed up too well you could develop condensation on the floor. Anywhere hot and cold air meet...
Perhaps just sheets of panelling cut in half long ways, 24" x 96" and attached to trailer? Or rigid insulation board, like this.
That's the concept anyway. Good luck.

McDave
Last edited by McDave on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:07 am

Hank is spot on for a QF

learned many moons ago to carry extra ruggage specialy for my dome tent and tepee

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:30 am

gbowman, Howdy;

gbowman wrote:
hankaye wrote:gbowman, Howdy;

hank

I am using a fan it makes a big difference. BTW it works way better on the floor blowing up instead of blowing from the ceiling. At least to warm the floor. Rather surprised about that.

Why the surprise? By pushing the cooler air to the ceiling you are also pushing
the warmer air down the sides to the floor and warming the cooler air. Round-
n-round it goes that's how you keep warm toes ... :roll:

Are you going to be in the same location for an extended time? If so then the
skirting is a good way to go, but don't put away the fan or rug. Allow enough
height (ground to bottom of CT), to allow for flexing in the wind, some is good
to much or to little and you'll be replacing/repairing on a regular basis. When I
lived in Central Ut. in a Tow behind RV I used 1/2" plywood ripped into 2' widths
and dug a trench for the bottom edge. Furring strips for attaching to the belly
framework and 4" wide pieces of plywood for the joints between skirting sections.
Worked great and I'd pile the snow up against the skirting for extra insulation.
I did have all of the skirting painted so as to keep it weather proof.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:24 am

McDave
Donating Member

Postby Mark959 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:41 pm

slippers. unless your bed is that low :R

But you can insulate the floor sure, and carry a roll of material to make a temporary skirt. The less air flowing underneath the better
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:01 pm

How about shopping ebay. I think you can get the price below a 1$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-1200-SQ-FT- ... PdFhxykuTQ
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:21 am

One more vote for the interlocking foam floor mats. Those were the single most improvement on holding heat that I made to mine. I camp in single digit and teen temperatures with a propane heater and its toasty all night. I do wear socks and/or slippers when up and about inside. Air temp is high 60's on the floor, low 70's at mid-height and ceiling, at 10 degress outside. I can use another portable heater to warm further temporarily.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby sodatrain » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Gonefishin wrote:One more vote for the interlocking foam floor mats. Those were the single most improvement on holding heat that I made to mine. I camp in single digit and teen temperatures with a propane heater and its toasty all night.

I'm expecting to be in temperatures like that. How much do you have on the celing/walls/floor? Would you insulate the same way if you could do it over again?
--
My 7x7x14 Tandem Axel build thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69731
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions