Stand in

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Stand in

Postby FloridaWild » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Forgive me if this is not the right topic forum for this. I'm a newbie, but have been lurking off and on for about 6 months. I've seen quite a few "stand in" TT builds, but most seem to incorporate a foot well, so to speak and have not seen any, where an actual bed can be laid on the width of the trailer. Is there a reason most do this? Can one be built with a width of say, 6 1/2 feet and a height of around 6 1/2? In my head, I have a layout for a small TT build. 6.5W x 8 or 9L x 6 +H. I'm 5'10" and want one, just a few inches higher, than my head. Obviously, I would have to fabricate the trailer frame myself, as I've not seen any manufactured, with those precise dimensions. I've thought of a vardo shape, but just don't like the idea, of the door in the rear of the trailer. I'm looking for small and light weight, because I'm pulling it with a Nissan Frontier. Any advice you guys have, would be much appreciated.
FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Stand in

Postby greygoos » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:49 pm

Click on the Design Resources at the top of the page. Go to Rescued Library. There are at least 3 designs that might match up with what you are looking for. Here is a diagram of the first one I came across.
Attachments
wanderer05.JPG
wanderer05.JPG (55.65 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 pm

I'm looking for small and light weight, because I'm pulling it with a Nissan Frontier.

I went from a four-wide to a five-wide. I wouldn't go back but there's a big difference in pulling effort with the extra foot of frontal surface.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby FloridaWild » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:56 pm

greygoos wrote:Click on the Design Resources at the top of the page. Go to Rescued Library. There are at least 3 designs that might match up with what you are looking for. Here is a diagram of the first one I came across.

Already saw those. What I don't want is a dropped foot well. Just want to know, is there any reason, not to build one, that you can completely stand in? I know high winds can be a factor, for stability. However, I believe 6 1/2 x 8, should be a pretty stable platform, even at the 6 1/2 foot height.
FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jondbar628 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:48 pm

Florida........The rule of thumb is build wider than the height. Length also matters in terms of trailerability, especially for a higher build. You need to keep the preponderance of weight down low in any build. Can you do this as you envision it without footwells or a dropped floor? Dunno, but it will require very close attention to weight distribution, which includes the materials used in the build.....jd.
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby FloridaWild » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:48 am

jondbar628 wrote:Florida........The rule of thumb is build wider than the height. Length also matters in terms of trailerability, especially for a higher build. You need to keep the preponderance of weight down low in any build. Can you do this as you envision it without footwells or a dropped floor? Dunno, but it will require very close attention to weight distribution, which includes the materials used in the build.....jd.

I'm looking at simplicity. Bed in the rear spanning the width and accommodating a full twin mattress (38 x 74). Galley in front. A small dinette table, that would slide out from the bed frame, when in use and slide back, when not. No bathroom or conventional plumbing. Just a sink in the galley, that would drain out to ground or in a small portable container. Half of the underside of the bed, would be a trunk area, accessed from outside the trailer. Front portion underneath bed would be storage space. Probably storage shelves/cabinets around top of bed area and above galley. Tongue box to accommodate batteries and electrical components. Construction of the trailer would be 1/4" outside skin and 1/8" inner skin, with 1x2 framing and insulation. I'm figuring dry weight at around 1200# and maybe less than that. I could go 10' length. My original thought was a 6x12 build, but I would like to keep it as small as possible and yet still provide enough space for what I need. I'm a hiker, so I can camp minimally, if I need to. I've just been wanting something to get me out camping, more than a few months here in Florida. So, A/c will be installed in a rear window and removed, when I don't need it. Basically, I need a little dog house on wheels, for me and my dog to go weekend camping in. :lol:
FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby steve cowan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 am

No reason you this can't be done.I have a 6.5 ft x 11 ft donor popup frame to build a 12 ft long on.Plan to build bed /small kitchen [bar sink,hot plate stove,mini fridge].
No bath just porta pot.A few shelves for storage.No water/holding tanks or batteries/propane.When I see a good deal on parts needed I snap it up and have most
everything [pay as you go].Side profile will be a "canned ham" style.Good luck on your trailer.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:12 am

¿ why knot take a few old cereal boxes and do a scale model of your ideas ?

also make scale model sized peoples & fixtures to move around in it

don't forget to factor in the thickness of walls n partitions in your caculations

just a thought...

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby PaulC » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:20 am

FloridaWild wrote:
jondbar628 wrote:Florida........The rule of thumb is build wider than the height. Length also matters in terms of trailerability, especially for a higher build. You need to keep the preponderance of weight down low in any build. Can you do this as you envision it without footwells or a dropped floor? Dunno, but it will require very close attention to weight distribution, which includes the materials used in the build.....jd.

I'm looking at simplicity. Bed in the rear spanning the width and accommodating a full twin mattress (38 x 74). Galley in front. A small dinette table, that would slide out from the bed frame, when in use and slide back, when not. No bathroom or conventional plumbing. Just a sink in the galley, that would drain out to ground or in a small portable container. Half of the underside of the bed, would be a trunk area, accessed from outside the trailer. Front portion underneath bed would be storage space. Probably storage shelves/cabinets around top of bed area and above galley. Tongue box to accommodate batteries and electrical components. Construction of the trailer would be 1/4" outside skin and 1/8" inner skin, with 1x2 framing and insulation. I'm figuring dry weight at around 1200# and maybe less than that. I could go 10' length. My original thought was a 6x12 build, but I would like to keep it as small as possible and yet still provide enough space for what I need. I'm a hiker, so I can camp minimally, if I need to. I've just been wanting something to get me out camping, more than a few months here in Florida. So, A/c will be installed in a rear window and removed, when I don't need it. Basically, I need a little dog house on wheels, for me and my dog to go weekend camping in. :lol:

I can only assume that you understand what could possibly happen by having all of your storage at the rear of the trailer. I would be taking a serious look at your tow all weight with that idea.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby FloridaWild » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 pm

PaulC wrote:
FloridaWild wrote:

I can only assume that you understand what could possibly happen by having all of your storage at the rear of the trailer. I would be taking a serious look at your tow all weight with that idea.

Cheers

Thats why I come to the professionals for advice! :D
FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Olddog1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:12 pm

Welcome aboard friend.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PaulC » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Provided you can maintain a 10%(of overall weight) load on the tow ball you should be fine.

Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Nobes » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:38 am

I pull my fiberglassed woodie with a 2014 nissan frontier. The TD weights about 1500 pounds loaded and pulls great. It's 5 wide and 5 high and 9 long, on a HF trailer. Obviously the mileage suffers while towing, but I get about 20 normally and about 15-16 while towing. I also have the bed pretty full while while towing.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 am

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby FloridaWild » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Here is a couple rough sketches of my idea. Feel free to tell me where the flaws are in the design. I’m here to learn.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to General Discussion