"TrailTop" modular trailer building components

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: "TrailTop" modular trailer building components

Postby dogscats » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:29 pm

Here's a post on how to build your own. Fast and at a low cost.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66751]
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby warnmar10 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:40 pm

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
warnmar10
Teardrop Master

Postby dogscats » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:52 am

Good find Mr 10 At one time I had planed to work with these same parts . But there so many that make the fiberglass parts And BS to hide that for. Over 30 years parts like this have been made
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby jscherb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:54 am

Working on a new project with TrailTop parts... a topper for my Jeep-tub trailer. The trailer has a tilt-up camper top; the topper will go on top of the tub and use the same tilt-up top. I made the tilt-up lid with TrailTop parts a few years ago and covered the construction in this thread. A few views of the trailer with tilt-up lid before this project:

Basic idea is to put a topper between the tub and the tilt-up lid, like this:

jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 am

The project is a very simple use of TrailTop parts, just using the straight rails to match the curved corners of the Jeep tub. The tilt-up will still work on the topper and provide lots of headroom although it's not hinged yet so it's closed in these photos. Work in progress...

jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 am

A few more.

jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby JuneBug » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:16 am

So glad you are continuing to work with this concept. Keep us informed!
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:28 am

love your new ideal of the trailer Did you make Sema this year it had lots of trailers with jeeps as TV's the nicest one I got to see
was out in the back lot between central and north hall well keep up the good work
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jscherb » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:30 pm

bc toys wrote:love your new ideal of the trailer Did you make Sema this year it had lots of trailers with jeeps as TV's the nicest one I got to see
was out in the back lot between central and north hall well keep up the good work

Yes, I did make it to SEMA. A few of my designs were on display, one of which I plan to use in this trailer project.

Earlier this year I designed a slide-out/unfolding kitchen for use in Jeeps and similar trail vehicles, I call it the Trail Kitchen. Here are a few photos of it in action in the Jeep camping on the trail:

It has more table space than any other slide-out kitchen that I'm aware of on the market, but it's also very compact when it's stowed:

It's easy to install/remove, so I plan to install it in this trailer and I can swap it between the trailer and the Jeep as needed. This is a concept view of what it will look like in this trailer project:

Anyway, back to SEMA, a company licensed the Trail Kitchen design and plans to bring it to market early next year. They were showing a prototype at SEMA...

The kitchen was very well received at SEMA, in addition to lots of positive feedback from show attendees it was listed at #3 on a list of the top ten new overlanding products at SEMA in an article by Overland Journal: https://expeditionportal.com/top-10-new ... sema-2017/.

Anyway, I go to SEMA every year.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby greygoos » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Can I ask if Trailtop products are actually on the market ? There is another post on here indicating that they are building a trailer with them. ???
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby jscherb » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:43 pm

greygoos wrote:Can I ask if Trailtop products are actually on the market ? There is another post on here indicating that they are building a trailer with them. ???

If you're asking about posts by saywhatthat, I have no idea what he's referring to when he uses the term TrailTop, he's definitely not referring to anything I've built.

The TrailTop components I've designed and described in this thread are not currently available.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby bc toys » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:39 am

well I like your kitchen ideals there some time when you come out we will have to get together and meet one another
seems like Iknow you but never met you would be nice to come to your both and see you products
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby JuneBug » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Does the projected cost for the MORryde slide out kitchen system include the Dometic?
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby jscherb » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:08 pm

JuneBug wrote:Does the projected cost for the MORryde slide out kitchen system include the Dometic?

The fridge is not included. The kitchen is sized to support most popular fridges up to about 50 qt. The Dometic in the photo is a 35 qt.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:59 am

I'll be painting the topper tan to more or less match the Safari Cab hardtop on the Jeep. I'm using Deckover acrylic deck coating from Home Depot, "Wrangler Brown" is fairly close to the color of the Jeep hardtop - Here's the color chart compared to the Safari Top and a colorized image.

jscherb
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion